M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
I am using m2eclipse 0.9.8 with a larger maven project including some subprojects and tried to upgrade to 0.10.0. As suggested I used a new workspace and a fresh install of eclipse but during import of my projects eclipse just crashes to desktop without any helpful information in the log file. The only difference between the eclipse installations is the version of m2eclipse plugin. I tried this with eclipse versions 3.5.1, 3.5.2 and 3.6m5.

Is there any way to get additional information about the crashes?

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Jeff MAURY-2
I think Eclipse log files in the configuration directory. May be you can have a look at it and send them to the list.

Regards
Jeff MAURY

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, raucha <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am using m2eclipse 0.9.8 with a larger maven project including some
subprojects and tried to upgrade to 0.10.0. As suggested I used a new
workspace and a fresh install of eclipse but during import of my projects
eclipse just crashes to desktop without any helpful information in the log
file. The only difference between the eclipse installations is the version
of m2eclipse plugin. I tried this with eclipse versions 3.5.1, 3.5.2 and
3.6m5.

Is there any way to get additional information about the crashes?

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Rich Seddon
If this was a JVM crash there will likely be a hs_err*.log file in the Eclipse CWD.

Can you check for this?

Rich

On Mar 3, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Jeff MAURY wrote:

[...]

It took a little to set up a new test environment with a fresh Eclipse 3.5.2 and M2Eclipse 0.10 (core and extras).

I have searched my home directory for JVM log files with

find . -name hs_err*.log

but did not find any.

The log file from eclipse should be appended   .log. The last entrys are errors of some maven plugins which might have problems with maven 3 but no indication why Eclipse crashes.

Rich Seddon wrote
If this was a JVM crash there will likely be a hs_err*.log file in the Eclipse CWD.

Can you check for this?

Rich

On Mar 3, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Jeff MAURY wrote:

> I think Eclipse log files in the configuration directory. May be you can have a look at it and send them to the list.
>
> Regards
> Jeff MAURY
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, raucha <A.Rauch@verband.creditreform.de> wrote:
>
> I am using m2eclipse 0.9.8 with a larger maven project including some
> subprojects and tried to upgrade to 0.10.0. As suggested I used a new
> workspace and a fresh install of eclipse but during import of my projects
> eclipse just crashes to desktop without any helpful information in the log
> file. The only difference between the eclipse installations is the version
> of m2eclipse plugin. I tried this with eclipse versions 3.5.1, 3.5.2 and
> 3.6m5.
>
> Is there any way to get additional information about the crashes?

> http://www.jeffmaury.com
> http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
> http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Rich Seddon
Can you run "Help/Report Maven Problem..." from inside Eclipse and then send me the link to the problem report?

Maybe I'll be able to see something in your setup that is causing this.

Rich

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, raucha wrote:

> It took a little to set up a new test environment with a fresh Eclipse 3.5.2
> and M2Eclipse 0.10 (core and extras).
>
> I have searched my home directory for JVM log files with
>
> find . -name hs_err*.log
>
> but did not find any.
>
> The log file from eclipse should be appended
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27778235/.log .log . The last entrys are errors
> of some maven plugins which might have problems with maven 3 but no
> indication why Eclipse crashes.
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>
>> If this was a JVM crash there will likely be a hs_err*.log file in the
>> Eclipse CWD.
>>
>> Can you check for this?
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Jeff MAURY wrote:
>>
>>> I think Eclipse log files in the configuration directory. May be you can
>>> have a look at it and send them to the list.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Jeff MAURY
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, raucha <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using m2eclipse 0.9.8 with a larger maven project including some
>>> subprojects and tried to upgrade to 0.10.0. As suggested I used a new
>>> workspace and a fresh install of eclipse but during import of my projects
>>> eclipse just crashes to desktop without any helpful information in the
>>> log
>>> file. The only difference between the eclipse installations is the
>>> version
>>> of m2eclipse plugin. I tried this with eclipse versions 3.5.1, 3.5.2 and
>>> 3.6m5.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get additional information about the crashes?
>>> --
>>>
>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.jeffmaury.com
>>> http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
>>> http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
I tried to do so but even after registering a user and providing that as the optional jira user it keeps rejecting my login with a timeout:

!ENTRY org.maven.ide.eclipse 4 0 2010-03-04 16:02:23.412
!MESSAGE Failed to generate problem report
!STACK 0
org.codehaus.plexus.personality.plexus.lifecycle.phase.InitializationException: The username and password combination is invalid.
        at org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.initialize(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:220)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.<init>(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:69)
        at org.maven.ide.eclipse.pr.internal.wizard.ProblemReportingWizard$1.run(ProblemReportingWizard.java:120)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException: Failed to read servers response: Connection timed out
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcStreamTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcStreamTransport.java:150)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcHttpTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcHttpTransport.java:94)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcSunHttpTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcSunHttpTransport.java:39)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClientWorker.execute(XmlRpcClientWorker.java:53)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:166)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:136)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:125)
        at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.call(Jira.java:502)
        at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.call(Jira.java:485)
        at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.login(Jira.java:119)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.initialize(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:212)
        ... 3 more

Maybe this is blocked by the company firewall? I do have internet connection with Eclipse as I could install the plugins. Does the submitter use different ports or protocols?

Rich Seddon wrote
Can you run "Help/Report Maven Problem..." from inside Eclipse and then send me the link to the problem report?

Maybe I'll be able to see something in your setup that is causing this.

Rich

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, raucha wrote:

> It took a little to set up a new test environment with a fresh Eclipse 3.5.2
> and M2Eclipse 0.10 (core and extras).
>
> I have searched my home directory for JVM log files with
>
> find . -name hs_err*.log
>
> but did not find any.
>
> The log file from eclipse should be appended
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27778235/.log .log . The last entrys are errors
> of some maven plugins which might have problems with maven 3 but no
> indication why Eclipse crashes.
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>
>> If this was a JVM crash there will likely be a hs_err*.log file in the
>> Eclipse CWD.
>>
>> Can you check for this?
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Jeff MAURY wrote:
>>
>>> I think Eclipse log files in the configuration directory. May be you can
>>> have a look at it and send them to the list.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Jeff MAURY
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, raucha <A.Rauch@verband.creditreform.de>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using m2eclipse 0.9.8 with a larger maven project including some
>>> subprojects and tried to upgrade to 0.10.0. As suggested I used a new
>>> workspace and a fresh install of eclipse but during import of my projects
>>> eclipse just crashes to desktop without any helpful information in the
>>> log
>>> file. The only difference between the eclipse installations is the
>>> version
>>> of m2eclipse plugin. I tried this with eclipse versions 3.5.1, 3.5.2 and
>>> 3.6m5.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get additional information about the crashes?
>>> --
>>>
>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.jeffmaury.com
>>> http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
>>> http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Rich Seddon
Hmm... this just looks like an authorization error.

Can you clear out the jira username and password and try again?

Rich

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:07 AM, raucha wrote:

> [...]
> different ports or protocols?
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>
>> Can you run "Help/Report Maven Problem..." from inside Eclipse and then
>> send me the link to the problem report?
>>
>> Maybe I'll be able to see something in your setup that is causing this.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, raucha wrote:
>>

>>> It took a little to set up a new test environment with a fresh Eclipse
>>> 3.5.2
>>> and M2Eclipse 0.10 (core and extras).
>>>
>>> I have searched my home directory for JVM log files with
>>>
>>> find . -name hs_err*.log
>>>
>>> but did not find any.
>>>
>>> The log file from eclipse should be appended
>>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27778235/.log .log . The last entrys are
>>> errors
>>> of some maven plugins which might have problems with maven 3 but no

Did that at first anyway but tried again today with the same result.

Rich Seddon wrote
> [...]

> different ports or protocols?
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>
>> Can you run "Help/Report Maven Problem..." from inside Eclipse and then
>> send me the link to the problem report?
>>
>> Maybe I'll be able to see something in your setup that is causing this.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, raucha wrote:
>>

>>> It took a little to set up a new test environment with a fresh Eclipse
>>> 3.5.2
>>> and M2Eclipse 0.10 (core and extras).
>>>
>>> I have searched my home directory for JVM log files with
>>>
>>> find . -name hs_err*.log
>>>
>>> but did not find any.
>>>
>>> The log file from eclipse should be appended
>>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27778235/.log .log . The last entrys are
>>> errors
>>> of some maven plugins which might have problems with maven 3 but no

Just tried here, and it works on this side. Is it possible that there is some sort of proxy server/firewall that is stripping out the auth elements on your network?

Guess we should consider adding an offline mode for this feature.  I'll file an RFE for this.

In any case, what I would like to see is two things.

1) Your "workspace/.metadata/.log",
2) Go to "Help/About Eclipse SDK/Installation Details", and then copy the contents of the "Configuration" tab.

If you could zip those up and e-mail them to me I might be able to figure out what is going on.

Rich

On Mar 4, 2010, at 11:32 PM, raucha wrote:

> Did that at first anyway but tried again today with the same result.
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... this just looks like an authorization error.
>>
>> Can you clear out the jira username and password and try again?
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:07 AM, raucha wrote:
>>

>>> I tried to do so but even after registering a user and providing that as
>>> the
>>> optional jira user it keeps rejecting my login with a timeout:
>>>
>>> !ENTRY org.maven.ide.eclipse 4 0 2010-03-04 16:02:23.412
>>> !MESSAGE Failed to generate problem report
>>> !STACK 0
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.personality.plexus.lifecycle.phase.InitializationException:
>>> The username and password combination is invalid.
>>> at
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.initialize(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:220)
>>> at
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.<init>(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:69)
>>> at
>>> org.maven.ide.eclipse.pr.internal.wizard.ProblemReportingWizard$1.run(ProblemReportingWizard.java:120)
>>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException: Failed to read servers
>>> response: Connection timed out
>>> at
>>> org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcStreamTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcStreamTransport.java:150)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcHttpTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcHttpTransport.java:94)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcSunHttpTransport.sendRequest(XmlRpcSunHttpTransport.java:39)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClientWorker.execute(XmlRpcClientWorker.java:53)
>>> at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:166)
>>> at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:136)
>>> at org.apache.xmlrpc.client.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:125)
>>> at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.call(Jira.java:502)
>>> at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.call(Jira.java:485)
>>> at org.codehaus.swizzle.jira.Jira.login(Jira.java:119)
>>> at
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.swizzle.JiraIssueSubmitter.initialize(JiraIssueSubmitter.java:212)
>>> ... 3 more
>>>
>>> Maybe this is blocked by the company firewall? I do have internet
>>> connection
>>> with Eclipse as I could install the plugins. Does the submitter use
>>> different ports or protocols?

>>> --
>>>
>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
Thank you for your effort.
It may be that our firewall messes up with auth data. I have no control over that configuration at all.
The requested data is included. eclipsedata.zip

Rich Seddon wrote

eclipsedata.zip

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
Any new info?

raucha wrote

eclipsedata.zip

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Rich Seddon
Sorry, thought I had responded to this already.

The only thing I see of interest in the logs are a lot of messages like this:

[FATAL] Non-readable POM /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml: /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml (No such file or directory) @ /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml

This needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure why (or if) this would cause a crash though.

Rich

On Mar 29, 2010, at 2:03 AM, raucha wrote:

> Any new info?
>

> raucha wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for your effort.
>> It may be that our firewall messes up with auth data. I have no control
>> over that configuration at all.
>> The requested data is included.
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27817663/eclipsedata.zip eclipsedata.zip
>>

>> Rich Seddon wrote:
>>>

>>> Just tried here, and it works on this side. Is it possible that there is
>>> some sort of proxy server/firewall that is stripping out the auth
>>> elements on your network?
>>>
>>> Guess we should consider adding an offline mode for this feature.  I'll
>>> file an RFE for this.
>>>
>>> In any case, what I would like to see is two things.
>>>
>>> 1) Your "workspace/.metadata/.log",
>>> 2) Go to "Help/About Eclipse SDK/Installation Details", and then copy the
>>> contents of the "Configuration" tab.
>>>
>>> If you could zip those up and e-mail them to me I might be able to figure
>>> out what is going on.
>>>
>>> Rich

>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27817663/eclipsedata.zip eclipsedata.zip

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
Updated my test environment to Eclipse 3.6RC2 and Java 1.6 Update 20 and did some more research. It turns out that Eclipse does not crash if I delete one of my sub projects containing groovy code. With starting Eclipse from command line and redirecting the output I could see a new error that never is displayed otherwise due to the crash:

Running pre-compiled script
Environment set to development
  [groovyc] Compiling 63 source files to /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/target/classes
  [groovyc] org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed, /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/grails-app/services/de/creditreform/crefoteam/ctcbatchconsole/datenbank/hibernate/HibernateCtcBatchConsoleDB.groovy: 7: unable to resolve class de.creditreform.crefoteam.loadcheckjob.CheckResult
  [groovyc]  @ line 7, column 1.
  [groovyc]    import de.creditreform.crefoteam.loadcheckjob.CheckResult
  [groovyc]    ^
  [groovyc] /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/grails-app/services/de/creditreform/crefoteam/ctcbatchconsole/datenbank/hibernate/HibernateCtcBatchConsoleDB.groovy: 12: unable to resolve class de.creditreform.crefoteam.ctcbatchlogger.BatchConstants
  [groovyc]  @ line 12, column 1.
  [groovyc]    import de.creditreform.crefoteam.ctcbatchlogger.BatchConstants
  [groovyc]    ^
  [groovyc]
  [groovyc] 2 errors
Compilation error: Compilation Failed

This does not happen with an installation containing and older version of m2eclipse as the only difference.

Rich Seddon wrote
Sorry, thought I had responded to this already.

The only thing I see of interest in the logs are a lot of messages like this:

[FATAL] Non-readable POM /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml: /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml (No such file or directory) @ /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml

This needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure why (or if) this would cause a crash though.

Rich

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

Igor Fedorenko-3
By default, m2e runs maven build, at least some of it, during eclipse
workspace workspace build and update project configuration operation. My
guess, one of the mojos bound to the lifecycle of that project does
something nasty, like System.exit, which causes the crash.

You can use custom lifecycle mapping (see [1]) to tell m2e explicit list
of mojos it should consider.

[1] https://docs.sonatype.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2949459

Igor

raucha wrote:

> Updated my test environment to Eclipse 3.6RC2 and Java 1.6 Update 20 and did
> some more research. It turns out that Eclipse does not crash if I delete one
> of my sub projects containing groovy code. With starting Eclipse from
> command line and redirecting the output I could see a new error that never
> is displayed otherwise due to the crash:
>
> Running pre-compiled script
> Environment set to development
>   [groovyc] Compiling 63 source files to
> /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/target/classes
>   [groovyc] org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException:
> startup failed,
> /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/grails-app/services/de/creditreform/crefoteam/ctcbatchconsole/datenbank/hibernate/HibernateCtcBatchConsoleDB.groovy:
> 7: unable to resolve class
> de.creditreform.crefoteam.loadcheckjob.CheckResult
>   [groovyc]  @ line 7, column 1.
>   [groovyc]    import de.creditreform.crefoteam.loadcheckjob.CheckResult
>   [groovyc]    ^
>   [groovyc]
> /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/ctcbatchconsole/grails-app/services/de/creditreform/crefoteam/ctcbatchconsole/datenbank/hibernate/HibernateCtcBatchConsoleDB.groovy:
> 12: unable to resolve class
> de.creditreform.crefoteam.ctcbatchlogger.BatchConstants
>   [groovyc]  @ line 12, column 1.
>   [groovyc]    import
> de.creditreform.crefoteam.ctcbatchlogger.BatchConstants
>   [groovyc]    ^
>   [groovyc]
>   [groovyc] 2 errors
> Compilation error: Compilation Failed
>
> This does not happen with an installation containing and older version of
> m2eclipse as the only difference.
>

> Rich Seddon wrote:
>> Sorry, thought I had responded to this already.
>>
>> The only thing I see of interest in the logs are a lot of messages like
>> this:
>>
>> [FATAL] Non-readable POM
>> /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml:
>> /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml (No such file or
>> directory) @ /home/raucha/entwicklung/test/ctc/fuzzypost/pom.xml
>>
>> This needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure why (or if) this would cause a
>> crash though.
>>
>> Rich

Re: M2Eclipse 0.10 crashes Eclipse

raucha
The project has not changed for a while now and is loading with an older version of M2Eclipse without problems. Since we use a local repository in offline mode I am sure there are no new versions of any mojo involved.
As I have mentioned earlier, everything is running without an error with M2Eclipse 0.98. Both in a vanilla Eclipse out of the same tar.
I will check next week if customization gives any results.

Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote