Loging api in JSR-330 component

Slawomir Jaranowski
Hi,

We can use the JSR-330 component for developing maven plugins -
https://maven.apache.org/maven-jsr330.html

There is not clear  how to access logging api from JSR-330 component. As I
found out last time, maven plugins should not directly use slf4j-api, so
what is recommended in this case.

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Loging api in JSR-330 component

Romain Manni-Bucau
Generally you want to propagate the mojo logger to have consistent logs but
worse case we should promote mojo logging api as injectable at injection
points if needed, avoids all the mess you can get in mojo with loggers to
respect that rule of dumb IMHO.

Le dim. 17 janv. 2021 à 22:48, Slawomir Jaranowski <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> We can use the JSR-330 component for developing maven plugins -
> https://maven.apache.org/maven-jsr330.html
>
> There is not clear  how to access logging api from JSR-330 component. As I
> found out last time, maven plugins should not directly use slf4j-api, so
> what is recommended in this case.

> Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Loging api in JSR-330 component

Mark Struberg-2
 +1Technically from a pure ClassLoader point our very own makes more sense.We can probably think about Lambda to resolve the String lazily.Insofar the SLF4J api is outdated as well.
And of course internally we might still route to slf4j. But we should not expose those classes to the plugins if not necessary. They just unnecessarily create classpatch clashes some times (been there done that).

LieGrue,strub

    On Saturday, 23 January 2021, 18:06:34 CET, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi Benjamin,

Guess it was unexpectedly deprecated, let's revert that on master.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog

Le sam. 23 janv. 2021 à 17:58, Benjamin Marwell <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Robert, that's deprecated! What to use instead? Or was it deprecated in
> error?
>

> https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-plugin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/logging/Log.java
>

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2021, 12:10 Robert Scholte, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > See
> >
> https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.3/maven-plugin-api/apidocs/org/apache/maven/plugin/AbstractMojo.html
> >
> > You can get the logger by calling getLog(), so don't inject the logger
> > here.
> >
> > Robert
> > On 22-1-2021 19:19:47, Slawomir Jaranowski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It is not only an extension case.
> >
> > For example I can write Mojo like:
> >
> > @Mojo(name = "example")
> > public class ExampleMojo extends AbstractMojo {
> >
> > @Inject
> > private MyService myService;
> >
> > @Override
> > public void execute() {
> > }
> > }
> >
> > and
> >
> > @Named
> > public class MyService {
> >
> > @Inject
> > private Logger??? logger;
> > }
> >
> > So the question is what logger we should use in the component?
> >
> > Another case is that components can be Singleton and their instance will
> be
> > created once.
> >

> > pt., 22 sty 2021 o 12:36 Romain Manni-Bucau
> > napisał(a):
> >
> > > Do it means if we represent our classloading structure, all loaders on
> > top
> > > of mojo use slf4j and others our maven abstraction.
> > > Sounds ok to me except for extensions which are not in maven land so
> > > subject to slf4j api breaking changes and undefined/ambiguous context -
> > > which is never true for maven code itself since we guarantee and own
> it.
> > > Should we promote the abstraction for extensions too?

> > > sense
> > > implementation.

> logs
> > > but
> > injection
> loggers

> component.
> > > As I
> slf4j-api,
> > > so

> > --
> > Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Loging api in JSR-330 component

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
In order to go further on this topic, I'd like to create issues for each
discussed topic in this thread and probably start working on some:

* issue-1: remove depreciation on 'org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log'
* issue-2: introduce lazy evaluation/message production for each level in
'org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log'
* issue-3: enable injection of org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log
  + discuss further in the issue which implementation to inject where/when
  + document (where ?) usage for extensions & non mojo injectable classes
* issue-4: update 'https://maven.apache.org/maven-logging.html' (or
elsewhere ?) with latest recommandations
  + use #getLog() for mojos
  + use injection for other use cases

If it is ok then I'll create those issues and start working on the 2 first.
Once created people will be able to provide additional context or
information to each ticket.

Matthieu

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:07 AM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for giving the logging API a bit of love with Supplier<String> and/or
> formatter-like api.
>
> Guillaume Nodet
>
> Le lun. 25 janv. 2021 à 07:41, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> >  +1Technically from a pure ClassLoader point our very own makes more
> > sense.We can probably think about Lambda to resolve the String
> > lazily.Insofar the SLF4J api is outdated as well.
> > And of course internally we might still route to slf4j. But we should not
> > expose those classes to the plugins if not necessary. They just
> > unnecessarily create classpatch clashes some times (been there done
> that).
> >
> > LieGrue,strub
> >
> >     On Saturday, 23 January 2021, 18:06:34 CET, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi Benjamin,
> >
> > Guess it was unexpectedly deprecated, let's revert that on master.
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > <

> > Le sam. 23 janv. 2021 à 17:58, Benjamin Marwell <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Robert, that's deprecated! What to use instead? Or was it deprecated in
> > > error?
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-plugin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/logging/Log.java

> https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.3/maven-plugin-api/apidocs/org/apache/maven/plugin/AbstractMojo.html

> logger

> > will
> > > be

> > on
> so
> > context -
> own
> > > it.

> > their
> > makes
> > API

> consistent
> > > logs
> > > loggers

> > > component.
> > > slf4j-api,

> --
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: Loging api in JSR-330 component

Elliotte Rusty Harold
It would really help to have a complete, up-to-date design doc for
Maven logging first, as well as clearing lout obsolete docs. Absent
that there's a lot of crosstalk and conflicting updates across
projects. It's not obvious everyone understands the same consensus.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold