JDepend Reporting Plugin in a Multi-Module Project

JDepend Reporting Plugin in a Multi-Module Project

Brad Harper
Does anyone have experience running the JDepend reporting plugin in a
multi-module project?

We've been able to successfully run the subject plugin [via site:site]
in individual projects with <packaging> types of jar and war, but when
performing

   mvn jdepend:generate

in the top-level project [which contains no source of its own], the
plugin fails with

   [INFO] [jdepend:generate]
   Directory does not exist: c:\workspace\dev\target\classes

Ultimately, the goal is to run 'site:site' for the top-level project
[which would run JDepend and other reporting plugins], followed by
'dashboard:dashboard'.

BTW, there isn't any configuration info
http://mojo.codehaus.org/jdepend-maven-plugin/.

Thanks.

Brad

Re: JDepend Reporting Plugin in a Multi-Module Project

dvicente
Hi,

the problem with JDepend plugin is :

All design quality metrics are computed into a single project, not with other modules which could use this first project.

So the Afferent and Efferent Couplings metrics are distorted with this problem.

The dashboard plugin cannot resolve this lack.

Brad Harper wrote
[...]

But this issue isn't a problem with the dashboard plugin, or even a
question as to whether the JDepend reports can be rolled up
meaningfully. I was describing the expected final use case. Maybe
summarizing data doesn't make sense for JDepend. Hopefully the dashboard
plugin will [some day?] be able to know this and simply not summarize
its reports.

But in this case, JDepend fails when being run recursively from a
top-level parent project. Wouldn't it be more correct to ignore 'pom'
packaging projects and let reporting for any sub-projects proceed?

As it stands, I'm performing 'mvn site:site' for all of the many
individual sub-projects [where it does make sense to run JDepend].

Brad