JDK9: Failed to parse module-info.java

currently I'm facing the following issue with JDK9+181: (using
maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2):

[DEBUG] CompilerReuseStrategy: reuseCreated
[DEBUG] useIncrementalCompilation enabled
[ERROR] Failed to parse module-info:
[ERROR] With reflect: null
[ERROR] With asm: null

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2:testCompile
(default-testCompile) on project devday-workshop-service: Execution
default-testCompile of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2:testCompile failed:
Failed to parse module-info -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2:testCompile
(default-testCompile) on project devday-workshop-service: Execution
default-testCompile of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2:testCompile failed:
Failed to parse module-info
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:213)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:154)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:146)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:117)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:81)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:309)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:194)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:107)
        at
        at
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginExecutionException: Execution
default-testCompile of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.6.2:testCompile failed:
Failed to parse module-info
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:145)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:208)
        ... 20 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to parse module-info
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.TestCompilerMojo.getModuleName(TestCompilerMojo.java:328)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.TestCompilerMojo.preparePaths(TestCompilerMojo.java:265)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(AbstractCompilerMojo.java:751)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.TestCompilerMojo.execute(TestCompilerMojo.java:172)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:134)
        ... 21 more

Currently testing the project:
https://github.com/khmarbaise/java9-modules-maven-junit-example which I
have adopted just to see how it works with Maven using modules etc.

Working on the jdk9-fixing branch...which produces the above error ?

Any Idea?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: JDK9: Failed to parse module-info.java

Plamen Totev-2
Hi Robert,

Plexus Languages looks very promising and really needed component. May I
ask you something to clarify if I understand correctly it's purpose. The
intention is Plexus Languages to contain abstractions that represent the
code that is going to be build and not the JDK/JRE used to run Maven, right?

Regards,
Plamen Totev