JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Sylwester Lachiewicz
Hi to all,

based on the previous vote to require Java 8 for Maven Core - I would like
to propose setting the same minimum for Maven Resolver 2.0

Maven Resolver is a base component to solve dependencies for Maven. It can
also be used separately from Maven for other projects.
Because Java 7 updates are no longer available, the market is also moving
towards using the newer version of Java 8/11.
Practically the Core requirement means that Resolver has little chance of
being used in Java 7 (see tricks to connect to Central).

Benefits - more programmers can practice coding while improving our
codebase.

What's your opinion on the subject?

https://maven.apache.org/resolver/

Kind regards
Sylwester

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Elliotte Rusty Harold
It is not true that Java 7 updates are no longer available. Java 7
updates are available from Oracle for paying customers and from other
vendors such as Azul for everyone.

My preference is not to move unless there's a clear reason to do so.
Are there specific features in Java 8 that would be useful for Maven
resolver? E.g. support for a new protocol that isn't available in Java
7 such as TLS 1.3?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Enrico Olivelli
+1

Enrico

Il giorno sab 9 mag 2020 alle ore 22:19 Elliotte Rusty Harold <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> It is not true that Java 7 updates are no longer available. Java 7
> updates are available from Oracle for paying customers and from other
> vendors such as Azul for everyone.
>
> My preference is not to move unless there's a clear reason to do so.
> Are there specific features in Java 8 that would be useful for Maven
> resolver? E.g. support for a new protocol that isn't available in Java
> 7 such as TLS 1.3?
>

> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM Sylwester Lachiewicz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > based on the previous vote to require Java 8 for Maven Core - I would
> like
> > to propose setting the same minimum for Maven Resolver 2.0
> >
> > Maven Resolver is a base component to solve dependencies for Maven. It
> can
> > also be used separately from Maven for other projects.
> > Because Java 7 updates are no longer available, the market is also moving
> > towards using the newer version of Java 8/11.
> > Practically the Core requirement means that Resolver has little chance of
> > being used in Java 7 (see tricks to connect to Central).
> >
> > Benefits - more programmers can practice coding while improving our
> > codebase.
> >
> > What's your opinion on the subject?
> >
> > https://maven.apache.org/resolver/
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Sylwester
>

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Gary Gregory-2
+1 non-binding.

On 09.05.20 22:13, Sylwester Lachiewicz wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> based on the previous vote to require Java 8 for Maven Core - I would like
> to propose setting the same minimum for Maven Resolver 2.0
>
> Maven Resolver is a base component to solve dependencies for Maven. It can
> also be used separately from Maven for other projects.
> Because Java 7 updates are no longer available, the market is also moving
> towards using the newer version of Java 8/11.
> Practically the Core requirement means that Resolver has little chance of
> being used in Java 7 (see tricks to connect to Central).
>
> Benefits - more programmers can practice coding while improving our
> codebase.

Clear +1 to move to JDK8 for Resolver.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> What's your opinion on the subject?
>
> https://maven.apache.org/resolver/
>
> Kind regards
> Sylwester

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Sylwester Lachiewicz
I would prefer to keep in sync a minimal version of Java version for Maven
Core and Resolver so we can use all goodies from Java 8 like mentioned
streams, default methods.
Real cases - https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6444  migrate code to
use NIO - also in many places we still have problems with concurrency,
locking.
Resolver is about to navigate through the graph - so maybe some parts will
look better, would be easier to understand or can be implemented in a more
efficient way?
it is tiring that using a newer version of Java every day, a potential
contributor would have to switch to Java 7 to improve something - it
definitely doesn't encourage new developers.

But yes, on opposite side - in resolve there are almost no new commits in
the last 2 years, and still many open PR not yet reviewed and merged.

Sylwester

sob., 9 maj 2020 o 22:19 Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> It is not true that Java 7 updates are no longer available. Java 7
> updates are available from Oracle for paying customers and from other
> vendors such as Azul for everyone.
>
> My preference is not to move unless there's a clear reason to do so.
> Are there specific features in Java 8 that would be useful for Maven
> resolver? E.g. support for a new protocol that isn't available in Java
> 7 such as TLS 1.3?
>

> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM Sylwester Lachiewicz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > based on the previous vote to require Java 8 for Maven Core - I would
> like
> > to propose setting the same minimum for Maven Resolver 2.0
> >
> > Maven Resolver is a base component to solve dependencies for Maven. It
> can
> > also be used separately from Maven for other projects.
> > Because Java 7 updates are no longer available, the market is also moving
> > towards using the newer version of Java 8/11.
> > Practically the Core requirement means that Resolver has little chance of
> > being used in Java 7 (see tricks to connect to Central).
> >
> > Benefits - more programmers can practice coding while improving our
> > codebase.
> >
> > What's your opinion on the subject?
> >
> > https://maven.apache.org/resolver/
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Sylwester
>

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Sylwester Lachiewicz
For now, I can think only about movie code to Java 8 syntax (but yes, we
still have lots of code that can be upgraded to level 5 and 7...)
then maybe small refactoring just to have cleaner code.

I would be best if we can have Java 8 Resolver + Wagon released before
Maven 3.7 - but also nothing wrong will happen if we stay with the current
version of Resolver.

S.