JDK 16 is now in the Release Candidate Phase

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JDK 16 is now in the Release Candidate Phase

Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland

*Hi Robert , *

*Per the JDK 16 schedule , we are in the Release Candidate Phase**[1] .*

*Please advise if you find any issues while testing the latest Early
Access builds.*

  * Schedule for JDK 16
      o *2021/02/04 Initial Release Candidate*
      o 2021/02/18 Final Release Candidate
      o 2021/03/16 General Availability
  * Release Notes [2]

OpenJDK 16 Early Access build 35**is now available at
http://jdk.java.net/16 <http://jdk.java.net/16>

  * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the GNU
    General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>.
  * Features [3] - the overall feature set is frozen. No further JEPs
    will be targeted to this release.
  * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
      o Build 34:
          + JDK-8259025: Record compact constructor using
            Objects.requireNonNull
              # Reported by JUnit5
      o Build 32:
          + JDK-8259014: Incomplete support for Unix domain sockets in
            Windows 2019 Server

  * JDK 16 - topics of interest:
      o Unix domain socket channels (JEP-380) overview:
        https://inside.java/2021/02/03/jep380-unix-domain-sockets-channels/
        <https://inside.java/2021/02/03/jep380-unix-domain-sockets-channels/>
      o Java Feature Spotlight: Pattern Matching
        https://inside.java/2021/01/22/feature-spotlight-pattern-matching/
        <https://inside.java/2021/01/22/feature-spotlight-pattern-matching/>
      o Foreign Memory Access - Pulling all the thread
        https://inside.java/2021/01/25/memory-access-pulling-all-the-threads/
        <https://inside.java/2021/01/25/memory-access-pulling-all-the-threads/>
  * General – topic of interest:
      o Inside Java Episode 11 “How to contribute to OpenJDK” with
        Stuart Marks and Jesper Wilhelmsson
        https://inside.java/2021/01/29/podcast-011/
        <https://inside.java/2021/01/29/podcast-011/>


Project Lanai EA 9 Build 17-lanai+2-49 (2021/1/20)
<http://jdk.java.net/lanai/> is available now

  * These early-access builds are provided under the GNU General Public
    License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
  * EA builds are intended for developers looking to test and provide
    feedback on using Project Lanai.
  * This is a macOS-specific project which implements a new Java 2D
    graphics rendering pipeline for macOS.
  * Project Lanai Wiki: https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/lanai/Main
    <https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/lanai/Main>
  * Please send feedback via e-mail to [hidden email]
    <mailto:[hidden email]>. To send e-mail to this address
    you must first subscribe to the mailing list
    <https://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo/lanai-dev>.

Project Loom Build 17-loom+2-42 (2021/1/14) <http://jdk.java.net/loom/>
based on JDK-17+5
<https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/releases/tag/jdk-17%2B5> is available now

  * These early-access builds are provided under the GNU General Public
    License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
  * These builds are intended for developers looking to "kick the tyres"
    and provide feedback on using the API or by sending bug reports.
  * API Javadoc :
    https://download.java.net/java/early_access/loom/docs/api/
    <https://download.java.net/java/early_access/loom/docs/api/>
  * Please send feedback via e-mail to [hidden email]
    <mailto:[hidden email]>. To send e-mail to this address
    you must first subscribe to the mailing list
    <http://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo/loom-dev>.

OpenJDK 17 Early Access build 8**is now available at
http://jdk.java.net/17 <http://jdk.java.net/17>

  * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the GNU
    General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>.
  * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
      o Build 8:
          + JDK-8222850: Misleading cascade compiler error in switch
            expression with undefined vars
              # Reported by jOOQ.
          + JDK-8217633: Configurable extensions with system properties
          + JDK-8249867: DOM LSSerializer control of newline after XML
            header
          + JDK-8256421: Added 2 HARICA Root CA Certificates
          + JDK-8259801: Enable XML Signature secure validation mode by
            default
      o Build 7:
          + JDK-8165276: Spec states to invoke the premain method in an
            agent class if it's public but implementation differs
          + JDK-8256895: Add support for RFC 8954: Online Certificate
            Status Protocol (OCSP) Nonce Extension
      o Build 6:
          + JDK-8259048: (tz) Upgrade time-zone data to tzdata2020f

January 2021 Critical Patch Update Released:

  * As part of the Jan 2021 CPU we released JDK 15.0.2, JDK 11.0.10 LTS,
    JDK 8u281, and JDK 7u291 as well as OpenJDK 15.0.2 (publicly available).

Rgds, Rory

[1]
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2021-February/005062.html 
<https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2021-February/005062.html>
[2] https://jdk.java.net/16/release-notes 
<https://jdk.java.net/16/release-notes>
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/16/ 
<http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/16/>

--
Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA, Dublin, Ireland

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [External] : Re: JDK 16 is now in the Release Candidate Phase

Robert Scholte-8
Hi Rory,

I hope I can isolate the issue and come with a clear description.

thanks,
Robert
On 5-2-2021 17:18:11, Rory O'Donnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Robert,

Could you log a bug and send the JI number ?

Thanks, Rory

On 05/02/2021 11:45, Rory O'Donnell wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I've been asked if you can provide a link to the exception, we can't
> immediately find it on your Jenkins.
> If we can get to the stack trace then it might reveal a bit more. The
> temporary workaround is to open java.lang of course.
>
> Rgds,Rory
>
> On 05/02/2021 11:18, Robert Scholte wrote:
>> Hi Rory,
>>
>> we're seeing some projects failing due to JDK16 + Linux[1], and I
>> think they all have a similar issue.
>> The error looks like this:
>> Unable to make public java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder
>> java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(char[],int,int) accessible:
>> module java.base does not "opens java.lang" to unnamed module @fb4e68d
>> Most likely it is related to Groovy too.
>> Java version: 16-ea, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
>> /usr/local/asfpackages/java/openjdk-16-ea+30
>>
>> If you have a hint, let me know, otherwise we need to investigate
>> this more.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Robert
>> [1]
>> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/job/master/site/dist-tool-master-jobs.html
>>
>>>
>>> On 5-2-2021 12:08:33, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> *Hi Robert , *
>>>
>>> *Per the JDK 16 schedule , we are in the Release Candidate Phase**[1] .*
>>>
>>> *Please advise if you find any issues while testing the latest Early
>>> Access builds.*
>>>
>>> * Schedule for JDK 16
>>> o *2021/02/04 Initial Release Candidate*
>>> o 2021/02/18 Final Release Candidate
>>> o 2021/03/16 General Availability
>>> * Release Notes [2]
>>>
>>> OpenJDK 16 Early Access build 35**is now available at
>>> http://jdk.java.net/16
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the
>>> GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath
>>> Exception .
>>> * Features [3] - the overall feature set is frozen. No further
>>> JEPs will be targeted to this release.
>>> * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
>>> o Build 34:
>>> + JDK-8259025: Record compact constructor using
>>> Objects.requireNonNull
>>> # Reported by JUnit5
>>> o Build 32:
>>> + JDK-8259014: Incomplete support for Unix domain sockets
>>> in Windows 2019 Server
>>>
>>> * JDK 16 - topics of interest:
>>> o Unix domain socket channels (JEP-380) overview:
>>> https://inside.java/2021/02/03/jep380-unix-domain-sockets-channels/
>>>
>>> o Java Feature Spotlight: Pattern Matching
>>> https://inside.java/2021/01/22/feature-spotlight-pattern-matching/
>>>
>>> o Foreign Memory Access - Pulling all the thread
>>> https://inside.java/2021/01/25/memory-access-pulling-all-the-threads/
>>>
>>> * General – topic of interest:
>>> o Inside Java Episode 11 “How to contribute to OpenJDK” with
>>> Stuart Marks and Jesper Wilhelmsson
>>> https://inside.java/2021/01/29/podcast-011/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Project Lanai EA 9 Build 17-lanai+2-49 (2021/1/20)
>>>
>>> is available now
>>>
>>> * These early-access builds are provided under the GNU General
>>> Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
>>>
>>> * EA builds are intended for developers looking to test and
>>> provide feedback on using Project Lanai.
>>> * This is a macOS-specific project which implements a new Java 2D
>>> graphics rendering pipeline for macOS.
>>> * Project Lanai Wiki:
>>> https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/lanai/Main
>>>
>>> * Please send feedback via e-mail to [hidden email]
>>> . To send e-mail to this
>>> address you must first subscribe to the mailing list
>>> .
>>>
>>> Project Loom Build 17-loom+2-42 (2021/1/14)
>>>
>>> based on JDK-17+5
>>>
>>> is available now
>>>
>>> * These early-access builds are provided under the GNU General
>>> Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
>>>
>>> * These builds are intended for developers looking to "kick the
>>> tyres" and provide feedback on using the API or by sending bug
>>> reports.
>>> * API Javadoc :
>>> https://download.java.net/java/early_access/loom/docs/api/
>>>
>>> * Please send feedback via e-mail to [hidden email]
>>> . To send e-mail to this
>>> address you must first subscribe to the mailing list
>>> .
>>>
>>> OpenJDK 17 Early Access build 8**is now available at
>>> http://jdk.java.net/17
>>>
>>>
>>> * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the
>>> GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath
>>> Exception .
>>> * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
>>> o Build 8:
>>> + JDK-8222850: Misleading cascade compiler error in switch
>>> expression with undefined vars
>>> # Reported by jOOQ.
>>> + JDK-8217633: Configurable extensions with system properties
>>> + JDK-8249867: DOM LSSerializer control of newline after
>>> XML header
>>> + JDK-8256421: Added 2 HARICA Root CA Certificates
>>> + JDK-8259801: Enable XML Signature secure validation mode
>>> by default
>>> o Build 7:
>>> + JDK-8165276: Spec states to invoke the premain method in
>>> an agent class if it's public but implementation differs
>>> + JDK-8256895: Add support for RFC 8954: Online
>>> Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) Nonce Extension
>>> o Build 6:
>>> + JDK-8259048: (tz) Upgrade time-zone data to tzdata2020f
>>>
>>> January 2021 Critical Patch Update Released:
>>>
>>> * As part of the Jan 2021 CPU we released JDK 15.0.2, JDK 11.0.10
>>> LTS, JDK 8u281, and JDK 7u291 as well as OpenJDK 15.0.2
>>> (publicly available).
>>>
>>> Rgds, Rory
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2021-February/005062.html
>>>
>>> [2] https://jdk.java.net/16/release-notes
>>>
>>> [3] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/16/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
>>> Quality Engineering Manager
>>> Oracle EMEA, Dublin, Ireland
>
> --
> Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
> Quality Engineering Manager
> Oracle EMEA, Dublin, Ireland

--
Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA, Dublin, Ireland