Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Kiesswetter, Reinhard
Hi all.

We have a relatively new (maybe three weeks) release repository  which is used by just one team to store their releases. Today when the team performed their release (with the Maven release plugin, like always) the build and artifact upload worked fine, but they could not find their release using the GUI after the build was finished.

I tried to run the "update Index" task, as I could see the artifacts on the "brows storage" tab of the repository, but not in the "browse Index" tab. This action did not solve the problem and I found following line in the log file:

2014-02-17 11:23:00 INFO  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.nexus.tasks.UpdateIndexTask - Scheduled task (UpdateIndexTask) started :: Updating repository index "REPONAME" from path / and below.
2014-02-17 11:23:00 INFO  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.nexus.index.NexusScanningListener - Scanning of repositoryID="REPONAME" started.
2014-02-17 11:23:00 WARN  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.nexus.tasks.UpdateIndexTask - Scheduled task (UpdateIndexTask) failed :: Updating repository index "REPONAME" from path / and below. (started 2014-02-17T11:23:00+01:00, runtime 0:00:00.042)
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
2014-02-17 11:23:00 WARN  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.scheduling.DefaultScheduledTask - Exception in call method of scheduled task Internal
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
2014-02-17 11:23:00 INFO  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.nexus.configuration.application.DefaultNexusConfiguration - Applying Nexus Configuration due to changes in [Scheduled Task Configuration] made by Task-User...

When checking the Nexus log file for the time when the build run, I found for each artifact that got uploaded a line like this:

2014-02-17 11:06:33 ERROR [nxevthost-1-thread-792367] USERNAME org.sonatype.nexus.events.IndexerManagerEventInspector - Co
uld not maintain index for repository REPONAME!
java.lang.NullPointerException: nul

So I run the "Repair Index" task and this fixed the problem, no ERRORs or WARNings in the logfile, and the release could be found using the GUI.

15 minutes later the team released their db artifacts coming with the release (going to the same repository) and again the build worked like a charm, but the artifacts could not be found via GUI. And again I found for each artifact the line:

2014-02-17 11:06:33 ERROR [nxevthost-1-thread-792367] USERNAME org.sonatype.nexus.events.IndexerManagerEventInspector - Co
uld not maintain index for repository REPONAME!
java.lang.NullPointerException: nul

The "Repair Index" Task again fixed the problem.

I searched the net and the Nexus jira for this Problem, but could only find issues already resolved with earlier versions, and remarks that Lucene seems to have troubles with NFS, which we do not use here.

We use Nexus OSS 2.6.3-01, the repository is used in two groups. I also checked if there were any scheduled tasks, dealing with indexes  at the time in question, but there weren't.

If anyone can point me in any direction how to solve this behavior for future releases I would be thrilled.

THX
Reinhard

INFONOVA GmbH
Sitz: Unterpremstätten bei Graz
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für ZRS Graz
Firmenbuchnummer: FN 44354b

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.

Re: Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Ron Wheeler
You might want to:
- check file and directory permissions and ownership
- check the user and group of the process running the Nexus service
- look in the server logs - general, Nexus and security
- check to see if there is enough disk space.

What is the server OS?

--
Ron Wheeler
President
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

AW: [nexus-user] Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Kiesswetter, Reinhard
Hi Ron,

thx for responding.

I checked all of this and all parameters are as they should be, no other statements in the logfiles then the ones I already sent.

We use CentOS 6.4 as OS.

regards
Reinhard

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.

Re: AW: [nexus-user] Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Ron Wheeler
I am out of ideas.
I was thinking that since you can manually update the index but the automatic update might indicate that you are not running under the same user in both cases and the user that you use manually is able to access the index files whereas the service can not.

Ron

On 18/02/2014 4:01 AM, Kiesswetter, Reinhard wrote:
Hi Ron,

thx for responding.

I checked all of this and all parameters are as they should be, no other statements in the logfiles then the ones I already sent.

We use CentOS 6.4 as OS.

regards
Reinhard

skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: AW: [nexus-user] Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Peter Lynch-2
Without knowing what is null, it is hard to tell what is going on. I would have expected a full stack trace to be printed as part of this line:

2014-02-17 11:23:00 WARN  [pxpool-1-thread-18] rkiesswetter org.sonatype.scheduling.DefaultScheduledTask - Exception in call method of scheduled task Internal
java.lang.NullPointerException: null

Is that all you are seeing printed in the logs?

All I can suggest is putting Nexus log level to DEBUG and see if a stack trace gets printed somewhere else.

-Peter

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:866-970-2435%2C%20ext%20102" value="+18669702435" target="_blank">866-970-2435, ext 102

[...]

Is this nexus war? If so perhaps a different slf4j ( less than 1.6.x? ) is being used preventing the correct logging.

If this is the official Sonatype Distribution of Nexus OSS ( distributed as zip/tar.gz using Jetty ) , check the logs/wrapper.log for potentially more output.

-Peter

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Peter Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

AW: AW: [nexus-user] Index Problem with a hosted Release Repository

Kiesswetter, Reinhard
Hi Peter,

we are using the official distribution. And I too would have expected a stack trace, but there isn't.

Wrapper.log unfortunately showed the same output as nexus.log.

I will setup a small project and release it against this repo with DEBUG enabled to see if I can get more information on this.

THX
Reinhard

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:866-970-2435%2C%20ext%20102" value="&#43;18669702435" target="_blank">866-970-2435, ext 102

[...]

Turning logging to "DEBUG" did not help, no new information on this.

I checked out the code for 2.6.3-01 and found the class IndexerManagerEventInspector in the nexus-indexer-lucene-plugin.

Without being a Java expert I guess the TODO in the followin method means, "Some more information would be nice".

private void inspectForIndexerManager( final Event<?> evt )
    {
        RepositoryItemEvent ievt = (RepositoryItemEvent) evt;

        Repository repository = ievt.getRepository();

        // should we sync at all
        if ( repository != null && repository.isIndexable() )
        {
            try
            {
                if ( ievt instanceof RepositoryItemEventCache || ievt instanceof RepositoryItemEventStore )
                {
                    getIndexerManager().addItemToIndex( repository, ievt.getItem() );
                }
                else if ( ievt instanceof RepositoryItemEventDelete )
                {
                    getIndexerManager().removeItemFromIndex( repository, ievt.getItem() );
                }
            }
            catch ( Exception e ) // TODO be more specific
            {
                getLogger().error( "Could not maintain index for repository {}!", repository.getId(), e );

            }
        }
    }

If this is really the reason for not seeing what the problem is, is there a chance that this is "fixed" in a future release?

THX
Reinhard

[...]

Sorry it took me so long to create the issue.

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-6296

I uploaded a snip of the log as this comes from our production Nexus and the output of the whole day is rather big. Let me know if you need more to analyses the issue, i backup-ed the file and can provide it if needed.

THX
Reinhard