Incremental Maven - push the feature

Alexander Ashitkin
Hi Maven Dev

We would like to resume topic of incremental builds on Maven - https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg119816.html
We’ve come a long way on Deutsche Bank side and currently few steps away from contribution. At this point Deutsche Bank Open Source council asked for support letter on behalf of the Maven project.
So we are looking for some feedback on this piece from Maven Project – criticality, interest, usefulness, etc.

Positive feedback and confirmation of interest is appreciated even more.
Once approved on our side we plan to push the change in a feature branch. We don’t expect it to be merged to core and rather see it as a proof of concepts to facilitate collaboration and discussions.
We are interested in future improvements and expect to hear feedback and guidance from experts on better design and implementation. From our side we’re ready to invest our time in further improvements. But it will be great to understand some approach to taking it forward.

The feature is stable, it is used in many critical projects internally. It was cross checked, challenged and validated uncountable number of times on all possible levels.

We’re are confident in quality, stability and seeking to advertise it as an experimental feature in Maven. Ideally we would like to see it as an unofficial distribution, but at bare minimum users could build it from the branch by themselves. As it is fully compatible with official distribution we expect that will encourage users to experiment and provide feedback.

The feature was announced on local IT-conference Joker 2020 (https://jokerconf.com/en/) and gained significant interest both from organizers and guests.

The talk is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caKWl2H-e18 (it is in Russian and hopefully auto translate can give you rough understanding of the feature. We also plan to create English version a bit later)

Please share your thoughts. Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Re: Incremental Maven - push the feature

Alexander Ashitkin
Hi Paul
this is a fork which is recommended to use with mvnw.

Thank you
Aleks

On 2021/02/22 11:00:44, Falko Modler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is very interesting and exciting news!
>
> > this is a fork of Maven somehow?  Or additional
> > plugins that are configurable into standard Maven?
>
> I second this question.
>
> > I too published something on quicker Maven builds that's lower tech -
> > https://paulhammant.com/2021/01/28/dagging-on-maven
> FWIW, I'm maintaining a Maven extension that only builds modules that
> are impacted by certain changes in git:
> https://github.com/gitflow-incremental-builder/gitflow-incremental-builder
>
> I've been using this in various internal projects and it has saved us
> valuable time.
>
> There is also some WIP integrating it in Quarkus, which has massive 800+
> modules (full CI run takes > 2.5 hours and this already includes
> multiple concurrent jobs).
>

> However, what is being proposed here by Alexander goes well beyond that,
> AFAICS, with build cache etc. - very cool!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Falko

Re: Incremental Maven - push the feature

Alexander Ashitkin
Hi Michael
It's really a question of risks, time investments and expected benefits. Probably the main factor is how to improve the build without interruptions, failed deliveries and without regression in quality and productivity. Improving Maven was considered an optimal way at least tactically. So again, at least tactically this feature closed gap between maven and gradle to such an extent that future build system could be evaluated and planned without pressure.

Thank you
Aleks