How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
We are new to Maven2 and are wondering how the naming schema is to be
used correctly. In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf" is told that our schema
shall be "Major.Minor.Fix-Qualifier-Build", (e. g. 1.0.0-beta-1). So we
like to have the qualifier set to "beta-5" now, since we are producing
our fifth beta release. On the other hand, we like the SNAPSHOT
automatism (publishing using timestamp as qualifier, downloading latest
JAR once a day). But how to tell Maven2 to do that together? I mean, the
SNAPSHOT features are only working, if the word SNAPSHOT is used, but
actually we are using "beta". So what is the correct way to say "this is
a beta release but it shall be published with timestamp qualifier" and
how to say "this project depends on a snapshot but that other project is
named beta but not SNAPSHOT"?

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Dan Tran
name your version as 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT, it means your are working toward
1.0-beta-5 release.

Once you are comfortable with your code base, you can the produce the real
1.0-beta5 using
maven-release-plugin.

-D

On 9/18/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are new to Maven2 and are wondering how the naming schema is to be
> used correctly. In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf" is told that our schema
> shall be "Major.Minor.Fix-Qualifier-Build", (e. g. 1.0.0-beta-1). So we
> like to have the qualifier set to "beta-5" now, since we are producing
> our fifth beta release. On the other hand, we like the SNAPSHOT
> automatism (publishing using timestamp as qualifier, downloading latest
> JAR once a day). But how to tell Maven2 to do that together? I mean, the
> SNAPSHOT features are only working, if the word SNAPSHOT is used, but
> actually we are using "beta". So what is the correct way to say "this is
> a beta release but it shall be published with timestamp qualifier" and
> how to say "this project depends on a snapshot but that other project is
> named beta but not SNAPSHOT"?

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
Dan, thank you for your fast answer. In fact, I have some more detail
questions as I do not find a complete guide on the version scheme
somewhere (maybe you can give me a link to a *complete* guide?):

dan tran schrieb:

> name your version as 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT, it means your are working
> toward 1.0-beta-5 release.

This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
"BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the version?
Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will build numbers
increase the version number. So is this still true when adding
-SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?

> Once you are comfortable with your code base, you can the produce the
> real 1.0-beta5 using
> maven-release-plugin.

You wanted to say "1.0-beta-5" I think (missing last dash)?

Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to
accomplish that (just a code line and a sentence what it does)?

Thanks a lot!
Markus

> -D
>

> On 9/18/06, *Markus KARG* <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     We are new to Maven2 and are wondering how the naming schema is to be
>     used correctly. In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf " is told that our
>     schema
>     shall be "Major.Minor.Fix-Qualifier-Build", (e. g. 1.0.0-beta-1).
>     So we
>     like to have the qualifier set to "beta-5" now, since we are producing
>     our fifth beta release. On the other hand, we like the SNAPSHOT
>     automatism (publishing using timestamp as qualifier, downloading
>     latest
>     JAR once a day). But how to tell Maven2 to do that together? I
>     mean, the
>     SNAPSHOT features are only working, if the word SNAPSHOT is used, but
>     actually we are using "beta". So what is the correct way to say
>     "this is
>     a beta release but it shall be published with timestamp qualifier" and
>     how to say "this project depends on a snapshot but that other
>     project is
>     named beta but not SNAPSHOT"?

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Franz Allan Valencia See

Markus KARG-3 wrote

dan tran schrieb:

> name your version as 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT, it means your are working
> toward 1.0-beta-5 release.

This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
"BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the version?
Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will build numbers
increase the version number. So is this still true when adding
-SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?

> Once you are comfortable with your code base, you can the produce the
> real 1.0-beta5 using
> maven-release-plugin.

You wanted to say "1.0-beta-5" I think (missing last dash)?

Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to
accomplish that (just a code line and a sentence what it does)?

Thanks a lot!
Markus

> -D
>

> On 9/18/06, *Markus KARG* <karg@quipsy.de <mailto:karg@quipsy.de>> wrote:
>
>     We are new to Maven2 and are wondering how the naming schema is to be
>     used correctly. In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf " is told that our
>     schema
>     shall be "Major.Minor.Fix-Qualifier-Build", (e. g. 1.0.0-beta-1).
>     So we
>     like to have the qualifier set to "beta-5" now, since we are producing
>     our fifth beta release. On the other hand, we like the SNAPSHOT
>     automatism (publishing using timestamp as qualifier, downloading
>     latest
>     JAR once a day). But how to tell Maven2 to do that together? I
>     mean, the
>     SNAPSHOT features are only working, if the word SNAPSHOT is used, but
>     actually we are using "beta". So what is the correct way to say
>     "this is
>     a beta release but it shall be published with timestamp qualifier" and
>     how to say "this project depends on a snapshot but that other
>     project is
>     named beta but not SNAPSHOT"?

begin:vcard
fn:Markus KARG
n:KARG;Markus
org:QUIPSY QUALITY GmbH;Entwicklung / R & D
adr:;;Stuttgarter Strasse 23;Pforzheim;Baden-Wuerttemberg;75179;Bundesrepublik Deutschland
email;internet:karg@quipsy.de
title:Staatl. gepr. Inf.
tel;work:+49-7231-9189-52
tel;fax:+49-7231-9189-59
note:QUIPSY(R) Entwicklung / R & D
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.quipsy.de
version:2.1
end:vcard

Good day to you, Markus,

For more info regarding maven-release-plugin, you can try and look at [1]. This is the latest (though unreleased) version of that plugin's documentation. If you have any comments about it, kindly notify us so that we can improve the documentation.

Thanks,
Franz

[1] http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Dan Tran
On 9/18/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan, thank you for your fast answer. In fact, I have some more detail
> questions as I do not find a complete guide on the version scheme
> somewhere (maybe you can give me a link to a *complete* guide?):
>
> dan tran schrieb:
>
> > name your version as 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT, it means your are working
> > toward 1.0-beta-5 release.
>
> This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
> "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
> mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the version?
> Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will build numbers
> increase the version number. So is this still true when adding
> -SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?

 The numbering scheme told in BBWM is recommendation only.  however, if you
have
-SNAPSHOT at the end, when you deploy it to your internal repo, who ever
depends on your snapshot artifact will pickup up the latest of your
snapshot automatically depending
your download policy.

> > Once you are comfortable with your code base, you can the produce the
> > real 1.0-beta5 using
> > maven-release-plugin.
>
> You wanted to say "1.0-beta-5" I think (missing last dash)?

sorry

Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to
> accomplish that (just a code line and a sentence what it does)?

http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/ ( ongoing review
)

basically, the release plugin validate your build, remove the "SNAPSHOT" out
of your pom,
tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official release of
1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put back the SNAPSHOT
string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )

-D

Thanks a lot!

> Markus
>

> > -D
> >

> > On 9/18/06, *Markus KARG* <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     We are new to Maven2 and are wondering how the naming schema is to
> be
> >     used correctly. In "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf " is told that our
> >     schema
> >     shall be "Major.Minor.Fix-Qualifier-Build", (e. g. 1.0.0-beta-1).
> >     So we
> >     like to have the qualifier set to "beta-5" now, since we are
> producing
> >     our fifth beta release. On the other hand, we like the SNAPSHOT
> >     automatism (publishing using timestamp as qualifier, downloading
> >     latest
> >     JAR once a day). But how to tell Maven2 to do that together? I
> >     mean, the
> >     SNAPSHOT features are only working, if the word SNAPSHOT is used,
> but
> >     actually we are using "beta". So what is the correct way to say
> >     "this is
> >     a beta release but it shall be published with timestamp qualifier"
> and
> >     how to say "this project depends on a snapshot but that other
> >     project is
> >     named beta but not SNAPSHOT"?

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
Dan,

please find my answer inlined.

Thanks a lot
Markus

>     This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
>     "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
>     mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the
>     version?
>     Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will build numbers
>     increase the version number. So is this still true when adding
>     -SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?
>
> The numbering scheme told in BBWM is recommendation only.  however, if
> you have
> -SNAPSHOT at the end, when you deploy it to your internal repo, who ever
> depends on your snapshot artifact will pickup up the latest of your
> snapshot automatically depending
> your download policy.
So in fact -SNAPSHOT is to be set AFTER the build number but not as the
qualifier. So that particular section of BBMW is wrong then: It says
that SNAPSHOT shall be the qualifier (= BEFORE the build number). Whom
to blame for? ;-)

>     Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to
>     accomplish that (just a code line and a sentence what it does)?
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Ejtolentino/maven-release-plugin/> (
> ongoing review )

Great, thanks a lot! But actually there is a bug on that page I think:

http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html

It says that I have to tell the name version's name, while you say that
it automatically increases the number (what I'd like to prefer). So who
is right and whom to blame?

>  basically, the release plugin validate your build, remove the
> "SNAPSHOT" out of your pom,
> tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official release of
> 1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put back the
> SNAPSHOT string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )

Thanks so much for your kind help!
Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes it hard to
get started.

Markus

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
Franz,

>Good day to you, Markus,
>
>For more info regarding maven-release-plugin, you can try and look at [1].
>This is the latest (though unreleased) version of that plugin's
>documentation. If you have any comments about it, kindly notify us so that
>we can improve the documentation.
>
>Thanks,
>Franz
>
>[1] http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/

thanks a lot for your kind help, once more! :-)

Can you please follow this discussion I am doing with Dan? This might
show up some documentation bugs, I think: I just reported that there is
an issue: He says the plugin increments version numbers automatically,
while the link above says that I have to specific the new version
number. So this is inconsistent. Who is right?

Thanks
Markus

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Jörg Schaible-2
Hi Dan,

dan tran wrote on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:34 AM:

> On 9/18/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dan, thank you for your fast answer. In fact, I have some more detail
>> questions as I do not find a complete guide on the version scheme
>> somewhere (maybe you can give me a link to a *complete* guide?):
>>
>> dan tran schrieb:
>>
>>> name your version as 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT, it means your are working
>>> toward 1.0-beta-5 release.
>>
>> This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
>> "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
>> mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the
>> version? Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will
>> build numbers increase the version number. So is this still true
>> when adding -SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?
>

>  The numbering scheme told in BBWM is recommendation only. however,
> if you have
> -SNAPSHOT at the end, when you deploy it to your internal
> repo, who ever
> depends on your snapshot artifact will pickup up the latest of your
> snapshot automatically depending
> your download policy.

This is the theory and the way it should work after resolving MNG-1908 ... ;-)

- Jörg

Jörg Schaible schrieb:

>> The numbering scheme told in BBWM is recommendation only. however,
>>if you have
>>-SNAPSHOT at the end, when you deploy it to your internal
>>repo, who ever
>>depends on your snapshot artifact will pickup up the latest of your
>>snapshot automatically depending
>>your download policy.
>>

>This is the theory and the way it should work after resolving MNG-1908 ... ;-)
>
>- Jörg

Okay, something starts to spin in my head... ;-)

So can anybody tell me, how it is to be used NOW and how it will work in
the NEXT release of Maven2? I mean, thank you all for you kind
information, but I have to get this thing working right now and now I
have five sources telling me different things... :-(

Markus

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Franz Allan Valencia See

Markus KARG-3 wrote
Franz,

>Good day to you, Markus,
>
>For more info regarding maven-release-plugin, you can try and look at [1].
>This is the latest (though unreleased) version of that plugin's
>documentation. If you have any comments about it, kindly notify us so that
>we can improve the documentation.
>
>Thanks,
>Franz
>
>[1] http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/

thanks a lot for your kind help, once more! :-)

Can you please follow this discussion I am doing with Dan? This might
show up some documentation bugs, I think: I just reported that there is
an issue: He says the plugin increments version numbers automatically,
while the link above says that I have to specific the new version
number. So this is inconsistent. Who is right?

Thanks
Markus

begin:vcard
fn:Markus KARG
n:KARG;Markus
org:QUIPSY QUALITY GmbH;Entwicklung / R & D
adr:;;Stuttgarter Strasse 23;Pforzheim;Baden-Wuerttemberg;75179;Bundesrepublik Deutschland
email;internet:karg@quipsy.de
title:Staatl. gepr. Inf.
tel;work:+49-7231-9189-52
tel;fax:+49-7231-9189-59
note:QUIPSY(R) Entwicklung / R & D
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.quipsy.de
version:2.1
end:vcard

Good day to you, Markus,

Thank you for your review. However, I do not know myself which one is correct. I'll try to find the answer too, but im sorry to say that I cant do it immediately.

Sorry again and thanks for the review.

Respectfully,
Franz

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Dan Tran
On 9/18/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> please find my answer inlined.
>
> Thanks a lot
> Markus
>
> >     This is in contrast to the version scheme told in
> >     "BetterBuildsWithMaven.pdf", so does this mean that the SNAPSHOT
> >     mechanism only checks for the word SNAPSHOT "somewhere" in the
> >     version?
> >     Actually qualifiers will lower the version number will build numbers
> >     increase the version number. So is this still true when adding
> >     -SNAPSHOT  AFTER  the build number as seen above?
> >
> > The numbering scheme told in BBWM is recommendation only.  however, if
> > you have
> > -SNAPSHOT at the end, when you deploy it to your internal repo, who ever
> > depends on your snapshot artifact will pickup up the latest of your
> > snapshot automatically depending
> > your download policy.
>
> So in fact -SNAPSHOT is to be set AFTER the build number but not as the
> qualifier. So that particular section of BBMW is wrong then: It says
> that SNAPSHOT shall be the qualifier (= BEFORE the build number). Whom
> to blame for? ;-)

Mergere? :-) But as long as you understand how SNAPSHOT works, the version
scheme is not that important any more. The general practice is

       x.y[.z]-[alpha|beta|rc1,rc2...]-n-SNAPSHOT

>     Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to
> >     accomplish that (just a code line and a sentence what it does)?
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/
> > <http://people.apache.org/%7Ejtolentino/maven-release-plugin/> (
> > ongoing review )
>
> Great, thanks a lot! But actually there is a bug on that page I think:
>

> http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html
>
> It says that I have to tell the name version's name, while you say that
> it automatically increases the number (what I'd like to prefer). So who
> is right and whom to blame?

Join the dev list and give your comment, i think there is a jira associate
with that review.

If you trust release plugin enought ( yeah i do ;-) ), there is a batch mode
( mvn -B ) that will
trigger the plugin to auto assign values.  I would suggest you to experiment
with this plugin
to get  a hang of it.  It works!!

>  basically, the release plugin validate your build, remove the
> > "SNAPSHOT" out of your pom,
> > tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official release of
> > 1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put back the
> > SNAPSHOT string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )
> >

> Thanks so much for your kind help!
> Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes it hard to
> get started.
>
> Markus

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
So I shall do mvn -B deploy out what?
Please remind that I am a Maven starter...
If you want me something to try out then I need clear commands. :-)

dan tran schrieb:

> [...]
> batch mode
> ( mvn -B ) that will
> trigger the plugin to auto assign values.  I would suggest you to
> experiment
> with this plugin
> to get  a hang of it.  It works!!
>
>>  basically, the release plugin validate your build, remove the
>> > "SNAPSHOT" out of your pom,
>> > tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official release of
>> > 1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put back the
>> > SNAPSHOT string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )
>> >

>> Thanks so much for your kind help!
>> Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes it hard to
>> get started.
>>
>> Markus

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Please read the doc ;-)

On 9/19/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I shall do mvn -B deploy out what?
> Please remind that I am a Maven starter...
> If you want me something to try out then I need clear commands. :-)
>
> dan tran schrieb:
>
> > On 9/18/06, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Dan,
> >>
> >> please find my answer inlined.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot
> >> Markus

> >> numbers

> if
> >> ever
> >>
> >> So in fact -SNAPSHOT is to be set AFTER the build number but not as the
> >> qualifier. So that particular section of BBMW is wrong then: It says
> >> that SNAPSHOT shall be the qualifier (= BEFORE the build number). Whom
> >> to blame for? ;-)
> >

> > Mergere? :-) But as long as you understand how SNAPSHOT works, the
> > version
> > scheme is not that important any more. The general practice is
> >
> >       x.y[.z]-[alpha|beta|rc1,rc2...]-n-SNAPSHOT
> >
> >>     Is there some short description on how to use the release-plugin to

> >> Great, thanks a lot! But actually there is a bug on that page I think:
> >>

> http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html
> >>

> >> It says that I have to tell the name version's name, while you say that
> >> it automatically increases the number (what I'd like to prefer). So who
> >> is right and whom to blame?
> >

> > Join the dev list and give your comment, i think there is a jira
> > associate
> > with that review.
> >
> > If you trust release plugin enought ( yeah i do ;-) ), there is a
> > batch mode
> > ( mvn -B ) that will
> > trigger the plugin to auto assign values.  I would suggest you to
> > experiment
> > with this plugin
> > to get  a hang of it.  It works!!
> >
> >>  basically, the release plugin validate your build, remove the
> >> >

> >> Thanks so much for your kind help!
> >> Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes it hard
> >> get started.
> >>
> >> Markus

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

mkarg
Which one?

dan tran schrieb:

> [...]
>     >> > tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official
>     release of
>     >> > 1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put
>     back the
>     >> > SNAPSHOT string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )
>     >> >
>     >>
>     >> Thanks so much for your kind help!
>     >> Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes
>     it hard to
>     >> get started.
>     >>
>     >> Markus
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >

karg.vcf (400 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

Wayne Fay
He's talking about the release plugin, so that's where I'd start...

Wayne
ps- Maven is a bit of trial by fire... ;-)

> [...]

> >     >> > "SNAPSHOT" out of your pom,
> >     >> > tag your SCM, build and deploy the build ( your official
> >     release of
> >     >> > 1.-0-beta-5), and finally increament your version and put
> >     back the
> >     >> > SNAPSHOT string. ( ie 1.0-beta-6-SNAPSHOT )
> >     >> >
> >     >>
> >     >> Thanks so much for your kind help!
> >     >> Maven is a great tool but the distributed documentation makes
> >     it hard to
> >     >> get started.
> >     >>
> >     >> Markus
> >     >>
> >     >>
> >     >>
> >     >

Re: How to use SNAPSHOT feature together with BETA qualifier?

It's total hell for beginners, actually. Meanwhile I have six sources of
knowledge:

- Books --> In part out of date, in part expecting things in future that
didn't happen (like EJB3 task told of in BBWM.pdf).
- WebSite --> Incomplete, in part wrong.
- Private WebSites --> In part wrong, in part talking of old versions,
in part talking of future versions.
- Mailing list authors talking of future plugins (but don't tell you).
- Mailing list authors talking of current plugins (but the plugin is
buggy so their talk doesn't work).
- Mailing list authors talking the truth about current plugins (but is
not flagged as "this is the real and only working answer").

How shall a BEGINNER like me filter out the essential knowledge out of
THAT pool?

Actually using the Maven User (!) List just leads to confusion
currently. Don't get me wrong, Maven is great and all the people here
are really great and very kind and helpful. But beginners get overloaded
by far with too old, too new, too incorrect information which results
that in fact I still do not know whom to trust and what to do actually.
I'm as far as I was at the beginning of the thread due to all those that
liked me to help... Strange, isn't it. ;-)

Markus