How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

Salvatore
Hello, first time here. I have a quick question:
Is it possible to use a maven extension that is not in maven central
without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install locally?

Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not being
downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the problem is that
this is not possible!

And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will have to ask
a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos at all haha.

Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Salva

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

On 15/03/18 11:51, Salvatore wrote:

> Hello, first time here. I have a quick question:
> Is it possible to use a maven extension that is not in maven central
> without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install locally?
>
> Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not being
> downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the problem is that
> this is not possible!
>
> And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will have to ask
> a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos at all haha.

First question related to that. Which Maven version do you use?
How have you configured your own repositories? Via settings.xml or via
repository manager ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Thank you very much in advance.
> Kind regards,
> Salva

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

Salvatore
Hello,
I have tried with maven 3.3.9 and 3.5.0. I will try with 3.5.3 tomorrow too.
The repos are configured via settings.xml. I have them both as <repository>
and as <pluginRepository>. If the docs are right, the plugin repositories
should be the important ones for extensions but all I see when I run any
goal on that project, with debug enabled, is:

[WARNING] Failed to read extensions descriptor
/home/my-user/git/my-project/.mvn/extensions.xml: Plugin
com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:1.0 or one of its dependencies
could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:jar:1.0 in central (
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)

There is no line showing that maven tried to download the extension from
any other repo. Thats the only one that is checking out apparently. That's
why I thought that maybe extensions are not ready to be downloaded from
custom repos yet...

I have posted this question in StackOverflow too:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49284462/failed-to-read-extensions-descriptor-could-not-find-artifact-in-central

Maybe our Sonatype is outdated and we have to updated it to support
extensions? I have to admit I don't know what version are we using, but I
can check that out if it makes sense.

Thank you Karl, I appreciate your help.

On 15/03/18 20:12, Salvatore wrote:

> Hello,
> I have tried with maven 3.3.9 and 3.5.0. I will try with 3.5.3 tomorrow too.
> The repos are configured via settings.xml. I have them both as
> <repository> and as <pluginRepository>. If the docs are right, the
> plugin repositories should be the important ones for extensions but all
> I see when I run any goal on that project, with debug enabled, is:
>
> [WARNING] Failed to read extensions descriptor
> /home/my-user/git/my-project/.mvn/extensions.xml: Plugin
> com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:1.0 or one of its dependencies
> could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
> com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:jar:1.0 in central
> (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)
>
> There is no line showing that maven tried to download the extension from
> any other repo. Thats the only one that is checking out apparently.
> That's why I thought that maybe extensions are not ready to be
> downloaded from custom repos yet...
>
> I have posted this question in StackOverflow too:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49284462/failed-to-read-extensions-descriptor-could-not-find-artifact-in-central
>
> Maybe our Sonatype is outdated and we have to updated it to support
> extensions? I have to admit I don't know what version are we using, but
> I can check that out if it makes sense.

It looks like you have configured many repositories in your settings.xml
instead of having a single group[1] and the configuration put to the
repository manager like Nexus...

Furthermore have you checked that the extension you are trying to get is
really under the given coordinates and the same version available ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
[1]:
https://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/2.8/reference/maven-sect-single-group.html

> Thank you Karl, I appreciate your help.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 15/03/18 11:51, Salvatore wrote:
>
>         Hello, first time here. I have a quick question:
>         Is it possible to use a maven extension that is not in maven central
>         without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install
>         locally?
>
>         Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not being
>         downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the
>         problem is that
>         this is not possible!
>
>         And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will
>         have to ask
>         a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos
>         at all haha.
>

>     First question related to that. Which Maven version do you use?
>     How have you configured your own repositories? Via settings.xml or
>     via repository manager ?
>
>     Kind regards
>     Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

Anders Hammar
You need to configure a "mirror". See
https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager3/maven-repositories#MavenRepositories-ConfiguringApacheMaven

/Anders

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Salvatore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have tried with maven 3.3.9 and 3.5.0. I will try with 3.5.3 tomorrow
> too.
> The repos are configured via settings.xml. I have them both as <repository>
> and as <pluginRepository>. If the docs are right, the plugin repositories
> should be the important ones for extensions but all I see when I run any
> goal on that project, with debug enabled, is:
>
> [WARNING] Failed to read extensions descriptor
> /home/my-user/git/my-project/.mvn/extensions.xml: Plugin
> com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:1.0 or one of its dependencies
> could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
> com.our-company:kompile-maven-extension:jar:1.0 in central (
> https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)
>
> There is no line showing that maven tried to download the extension from
> any other repo. Thats the only one that is checking out apparently. That's
> why I thought that maybe extensions are not ready to be downloaded from
> custom repos yet...
>
> I have posted this question in StackOverflow too:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49284462/failed-to-
> read-extensions-descriptor-could-not-find-artifact-in-central
>
> Maybe our Sonatype is outdated and we have to updated it to support
> extensions? I have to admit I don't know what version are we using, but I
> can check that out if it makes sense.
>
> Thank you Karl, I appreciate your help.

> > Hi,
> >
> > On 15/03/18 11:51, Salvatore wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, first time here. I have a quick question:
> >> Is it possible to use a maven extension that is not in maven central
> >> without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install locally?
> >>
> >> Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not being
> >> downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the problem is
> that
> >> this is not possible!
> >>
> >> And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will have to
> >> ask
> >> a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos at all
> >> haha.
> >>

> > First question related to that. Which Maven version do you use?
> > How have you configured your own repositories? Via settings.xml or via
> > repository manager ?
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >

> >> Thank you very much in advance.
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Salva

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

Salvatore
That is a bigger change than I expected...
I've configured a <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf> pointing to my repo to test it
out, and now the extension is being downloaded, but obviously everything
else fails. I cannot modify nexus configuration myself, so it seems I will
have to download the jar manually for now :(

Can I ask why is this needed? Why are plugin repositories being ignored? Is
it bad to have multiple repositories configured or is this a bug?

Thank you Karl.
> [...]

>> central
>>         without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install
>>         locally?
>>
>>         Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not being
>>         downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the
>>         problem is that
>>         this is not possible!
>>
>>         And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will
>>         have to ask
>>         a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos
>>         at all haha.
>>

>>     First question related to that. Which Maven version do you use?
>>     How have you configured your own repositories? Via settings.xml or
>>     via repository manager ?
>>
>>     Kind regards
>>     Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

You need to provide more info to understand your questions.
"obviously everything else fails"? why obviously?
"why are plugin repositories being ignored? they shouldn't for plugins and
their deps. If it is it's most likely due to a misconfiguration on your
end, but it could be a bug in maven.

/Anders

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Salvatore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>         without downloading the jar manually? nor doing a mvn install
> >>         locally?
> >>
> >>         Cause I have been trying to find out why is my extension not
> being
> >>         downloaded by maven from my own repository, but maybe the
> >>         problem is that
> >>         this is not possible!
> >>
> >>         And that's pretty much it. If it is indeed possible then I will
> >>         have to ask
> >>         a new question, cause maven doesn't seem to care about my repos
> >>         at all haha.
> >>

> >>     First question related to that. Which Maven version do you use?
> >>     How have you configured your own repositories? Via settings.xml or
> >>     via repository manager ?
> >>
> >>     Kind regards
> >>     Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: How to tell maven where to look for extensions (instead of central repository)

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello,

I observed that extensions seem to be fetched from pluginRepositories.

Best regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile