How to increase permgen space for nexus OSS 2.10.0.02

How to increase permgen space for nexus OSS 2.10.0.02

Dan Tran
Hi,

My nexus on linux with jdk1.7.0_67  is out of permgen space few days  after upgrade.

is it something to worry about?.  What is best way to permanently increase the permgen that will survive upgrade ( like JAVA_OPTS?)

Thanks

-D

Re: How to increase permgen space for nexus OSS 2.10.0.02

Stuart McCulloch-2
Nexus OSS 2.10 uses the default permgen limit, you can increase this by editing your wrapper.conf:

For example, assuming you already had 3 additional arguments already set in your wrapper.conf:

wrapper.java.additional.4=-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

The amount of permgen depends on a variety of factors including the number of installed plugins, but 192m should be enough (you can use jvisualvm to track exact permgen usage).

-D

Re: How to increase permgen space for nexus OSS 2.10.0.02

Dan Tran
is there a way not to touch wrapper.conf directly, this way we dont have to remember setting it again on the next upgrade. Upgrade java 8 helps?

btw, this is the first time I seeing this issue after may upgrades, and I dont add any new plugins

Thanks

-D

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Stuart McCulloch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nexus OSS 2.10 uses the default permgen limit, you can increase this by editing your wrapper.conf:

For example, assuming you already had 3 additional arguments already set in your wrapper.conf:

wrapper.java.additional.4=-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

The amount of permgen depends on a variety of factors including the number of installed plugins, but 192m should be enough (you can use jvisualvm to track exact permgen usage).

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 19:03, Dan Tran wrote:
Hi,

My nexus on linux with jdk1.7.0_67  is out of permgen space few days  after upgrade.

is it something to worry about?.  What is best way to permanently increase the permgen that will survive upgrade ( like JAVA_OPTS?)

Thanks

-D

Re: How to increase permgen space for nexus OSS 2.10.0.02

Peter Lynch-2
Hi Dan,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
is there a way not to touch wrapper.conf directly, this way we dont have to remember setting it again on the next upgrade. Upgrade java 8 helps?

You should only set the perm gen size in wrapper.conf - you could probably get an environment variable to work - but I suggest this is a more fragile setup than comparing wrapper.conf on upgrades.

Yes, Java 8 helps avoid this altogether.

btw, this is the first time I seeing this issue after may upgrades, and I dont add any new plugins

The NuGet plugin was newly added to Nexus OSS 2.10.

If you still get OOM after setting the perm gen value, then please file an issue at https://issues.sonatype.org.

[...]

I just spot a wrapper.conf issue

+wrapper.java.additional.1=-XX:MaxPermSize=192m
+wrapper.java.additional.2=-Djava.io.tmpdir=./tmp
+wrapper.java.additional.3=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
+wrapper.java.additional.4=-Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.protocol="plain ssl"
+wrapper.java.additional.4.stripquotes=TRUE

you have 2   +wrapper.java.additional.4

-D

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It looks like it at first glance.  :-)

The second one says to strip the quotes off of the arguments to the first wrapper.java.additional.4.

Rich