Hacktoberfest

Maarten Mulders-3
Hi all,

Today, I came across this update [1] from DigitalOcean, one of the
companies behind Hacktoberfest. TL;DR: to prevent "spam pull requests",
only accepted/merged/approved pull requests against GitHub repositories
labelled "hacktoberfest" qualify for the free t-shirt or planting a
tree. This is other than previous years, where _every_ pull request
would qualify, even if the repository owner did not explicitly
participate in Hacktoberfest.

I would argue it makes sense to opt-in Maven repositories for
Hacktoberfest. If it could encourage people to start contributing to
Maven, I think that would be useful. It might also bring Maven to the
attention of people who are looking for (Java) projects to contribute to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Maarten

[1] https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Re: Hacktoberfest

rfscholte
I think the hacktober is a good initiative.
Just be aware that we need to respond to these PRs ASAP, otherwise it might work against us.
We already have a huge amount of PRs that still need to be reviewed, so it is not like we don't have enough PRs.

I think we need at least 5 committers that explicitly say the will pick up these PR with the highest priority for 1 month.
Otherwise I'd say no.

Robert

On 3-10-2020 20:41:04, Maarten Mulders <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

AW: Hacktoberfest

Markus KARG-3
Robert,

in fact I think it would be an even better signal to new contributors is at least 5 committers would agree to pick up PRs for a whole year.

-Markus

Re: Hacktoberfest

michaelo
Sadly, I fully agree with Robert :-(

Am 2020-10-04 um 16:11 schrieb Robert Scholte:

> As you know, the truth right now it is impossible to keep up. The amount of mails and PRs waiting for responses exceeds our capacity.
> So it is a matter of prioritizing, and yes, that could mean that PRs will stay unanswered.
> IF we would also join hacktober, we must change those priorities for a month and focus on that, maybe even using the time to respond the open PRs.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> On 4-10-2020 13:36:52, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> in fact I think it would be an even better signal to new contributors is at least 5 committers would agree to pick up PRs for a whole year.
>
> -Markus

After reading the DigitalOcean update again, I noticed that I made a
little mistake in interpreting their rules.

 From the contributor perspective, PRs count if:

Submitted during the month of October AND (
   The PR is labelled as hacktoberfest-accepted by a maintainer OR
   Submitted in a repo with the hacktoberfest topic AND (
     The PR is merged OR
     The PR has been approved
   )
)

So even if we do not opt in, we could still label any valuable
contribution with 'hacktoberfest-accepted' and it would count towards
the "t-shirt or tree" goal.

Sure, we could debate whether that should be the only reason for people
to contribute, but I think that's another question.

For now, I think opting our repositories in is NOT the right thing to
do. Repositories that have the hacktoberfest topic are likely to attract
spam (since having it merged or accepted counts towards the
Hacktoberfest goal). We could still label a valuable contribution with
'hacktoberfest-accepted' - no cost on our side, potentially happy
contributor elsewhere.

Thanks,

Maarten