Quantcast

Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

James Depaul

Hello all -

Perhaps this has already been addressed - if so, just please point me in
the right direction:

We're starting a new J2EE project, which will have a Web module and an EJB
module under an EAR deployment umbrella, so this is the perfect opportunity
to use Maven to set the project up correctly with the proper structure.   I
can setup the maven structure ok, but I'm having trouble getting BEA
Workshop 10 (based on Eclipse) to recognize this project as a web project
when I import it...  Here is the steps I followed:  I have run the
following mvn statements to create my Web module, which is the first in a
series:

1)  -- Create WAR PROJECT MODULE
mvn archetype:create \
  -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes \
  -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-webapp \
  -DarchetypeVersion=1.0 \
  -DgroupId=com.ibm.client.diamond.web \
  -DartifactId=diamond-web \
  -Dversion=2.0-SNAPSHOT

The mvn run is successful, producing the familiar structure, with the path:
src\main\webapp housing the WEB-INF sub-directory, and sample jsp resource.

2)  I proceed to prepare the new web project to be used with Eclipse, so I
run:  mvn eclipse:eclipse - which produces the .class and .project files as
a result.

3)  My next step is to import the newly created project into Webshop using
regular Import...   use Existing Project - it imports properly, but it has
an appearance of a Java project, not a DynamicWeb project at that point...
I think that's my problem.

4)  Finally, I creat an EnterpriseApplicationProject (EAR proj) to house my
diamond-web Web applicaiton.   I follow the wizzard and can add the web
project to the Ear project OK, but somehow the web module does NOT get
added to the application.xml config file in the EAR project - the BEA
Workshop seems to completely ignore the fact that this is a Web project
we're adding... thus it does not add it to the application.xml file and I
can't seem to convince it to treat my maven-created project as a Web
project.   I even tried this same approach with Eclipse 3.3 (Europa), but
had same exact experience.   Of course creating a dynamic web project
directl inside the workshop produces desired results, but the dir structure
that results is of course not in line with the maven structure... and so it
goes... :(

So, please help -  how can I get Maven and BEAWebShop to play nice
together?

Thanks,
James

Re: Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

Alexandre Touret
Hello,
In my opinion, you should try to run the eclipse plugin with wtp enabled. If you have read the maven user list recently you should have read the announcement about the last release of the maven-eclipse-plugin.

For WTP support  run the following command if you have the eclipse-plugin 2.5

$mvn -U -Dwtp.version=2.0 eclipse:eclipse

else, run
$mvn -U -Dwtp.version=1.5 eclipse:eclipse

Now, you should have a proper configuration for a webmodule.
Unfortunately, maven doesn't support the specific configuration for workshop such as appxray or weblogic facets.
I've tried some configurations for eclipse-plugin and voodoos invocations.  Finally, I have created a custom archetype from a workshop webmodule with all the bea workshop's configuration embedded.

If you can read french (sorry ...) you could read few entries in my blog. I described some problems ( and their resolutions )

http://alexandre.touret.free.fr/dotclear/index.php/category/java-ee

Hope this helps
Regards,
Alexandre

jdepaul wrote

Thanks,
James

Re: Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

James Depaul

Thanks Alexandre - Ok, first, I've installed new eclipse-plugin version 2.5, then I re-created the diamond-web project and then ran the following command, per your suggestion:

mvn -U -Dwtp.version=2.0 eclipse:eclipse

I then re-imported the new diamond-web project into my workspace in Workshop - but the new project still looks like an ordinary Java project and NOT a web project. The properties lack some of the features of the web project normally created by Wkshp... Also, adding the new diamond-web to the EAR project as a module dependency did not produce the desired module references in applicaitons.xml file... Maybe I'm missing something... it just didn't seem to make a difference.

I guess my only other option is to create a Web module inside the Workshop and then maven-ize it, somehow... any suggestions how how to do that?!

Thanks,
James

Alexandre Touret <[hidden email]>

cc

Subject

jdepaul wrote:

> [...]
> Workshop seems to completely ignore the fact that this is a Web project
> we're adding... thus it does not add it to the application.xml file and I
> can't seem to convince it to treat my maven-created project as a Web
> project.   I even tried this same approach with Eclipse 3.3 (Europa), but
> had same exact experience.   Of course creating a dynamic web project
> directl inside the workshop produces desired results, but the dir
> structure
> that results is of course not in line with the maven structure... and so
> it
> goes... :(
>
> So, please help -  how can I get Maven and BEAWebShop to play nice
> together?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Re: Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

I'm afraid  I was wrong.
According to the maven website :
the command looks like
mvn -U -Dwtpversion=2.0 eclipse:eclipse

For further informations, you can read this following page :
jdepaul wrote
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html

Alexandre

Maven Eclipse Plugin - maven-eclipse-plugin - eclipse:eclipse

[...]

             <atouret.nospam@f
             ree.fr>                                                    To
                                       users@maven.apache.org
             03/20/2008 02:52                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Getting Maven and BEA Workshop
             Please respond to         to play nice...
               "Maven Users
                   List"
             <users@maven.apac
                  he.org>

jdepaul wrote:

> [...]
> Workshop seems to completely ignore the fact that this is a Web project
> we're adding... thus it does not add it to the application.xml file and I
> can't seem to convince it to treat my maven-created project as a Web
> project.   I even tried this same approach with Eclipse 3.3 (Europa), but
> had same exact experience.   Of course creating a dynamic web project
> directl inside the workshop produces desired results, but the dir
> structure
> that results is of course not in line with the maven structure... and so
> it
> goes... :(
>
> So, please help -  how can I get Maven and BEAWebShop to play nice
> together?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Re: Getting Maven and BEA Workshop to play nice...

Victory, at last! After making the slight syntax correction I imported the diamond-web into the project... I think I made one small tweak in the properties after the import (changed default Java 1.4 to Java 5), saved, applied and voila! Worked, like a charm -

Merci beaucoup, monsieur!