Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello All,

I wonder is it possible to generate content for maven site plugin?
We are using xdoc for our site. I would like to generate source using
xml-maven-plugin.

Right now I do it in generate-sources phase and polluting src/site/xdoc/ folder
I tried to change the process as follows:
1) generate site source in pre-site phase
2) put generated content into
${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/site/xdoc/

unfortunately it doesn't work this way :(
It seems pre-site phase is not being called during mvn site:site :(
What am I doing wrong?

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

On 01/02/17 06:52, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I wonder is it possible to generate content for maven site plugin?
> We are using xdoc for our site. I would like to generate source using
> xml-maven-plugin.
>
> Right now I do it in generate-sources phase and polluting src/site/xdoc/ folder
> I tried to change the process as follows:
> 1) generate site source in pre-site phase
> 2) put generated content into
> ${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/site/xdoc/
>
> unfortunately it doesn't work this way :(
> It seems pre-site phase is not being called during mvn site:site :(
> What am I doing wrong?

If you call site:site you call the goal of the plugin and NOT the life
cycle. You need to call mvn site instead than pre-site and site life
cycle phases will run...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello Karl,

Thanks a lot for the quick response
pre-site phase is being called if I'm using "mvn site"
but XML files from target/generated-sources/site/xdoc/ are not being
used while site generation ...
Should it be generated to the different folder?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01/02/17 06:52, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I wonder is it possible to generate content for maven site plugin?
>> We are using xdoc for our site. I would like to generate source using
>> xml-maven-plugin.
>>
>> Right now I do it in generate-sources phase and polluting src/site/xdoc/
>> folder
>> I tried to change the process as follows:
>> 1) generate site source in pre-site phase
>> 2) put generated content into
>> ${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/site/xdoc/
>>
>> unfortunately it doesn't work this way :(
>> It seems pre-site phase is not being called during mvn site:site :(
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>

> If you call site:site you call the goal of the plugin and NOT the life
> cycle. You need to call mvn site instead than pre-site and site life cycle
> phases will run...
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Lukas Theussl-3

Heya,

Try ${project.build.directory}/generated-site or change the
generatedSiteDirectory parameter, see

https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/site-mojo.html#generatedSiteDirectory

HTH,
-Lukas

Am 01.02.2017 um 11:49 schrieb Maxim Solodovnik:

> Hello Karl,
>
> Thanks a lot for the quick response
> pre-site phase is being called if I'm using "mvn site"
> but XML files from target/generated-sources/site/xdoc/ are not being
> used while site generation ...
> Should it be generated to the different folder?
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 01/02/17 06:52, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I wonder is it possible to generate content for maven site plugin?
>>> We are using xdoc for our site. I would like to generate source using
>>> xml-maven-plugin.
>>>
>>> Right now I do it in generate-sources phase and polluting src/site/xdoc/
>>> folder
>>> I tried to change the process as follows:
>>> 1) generate site source in pre-site phase
>>> 2) put generated content into
>>> ${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/site/xdoc/
>>>
>>> unfortunately it doesn't work this way :(
>>> It seems pre-site phase is not being called during mvn site:site :(
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>> If you call site:site you call the goal of the plugin and NOT the life
>> cycle. You need to call mvn site instead than pre-site and site life cycle
>> phases will run...
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Thanks a lot!
Works as expected!

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Lukas Theussl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> Try ${project.build.directory}/generated-site or change the
> generatedSiteDirectory parameter, see
>
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/site-mojo.html#generatedSiteDirectory
>
> HTH,
> -Lukas
>

> Am 01.02.2017 um 11:49 schrieb Maxim Solodovnik:
>>
>> Hello Karl,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the quick response
>> pre-site phase is being called if I'm using "mvn site"
>> but XML files from target/generated-sources/site/xdoc/ are not being
>> used while site generation ...
>> Should it be generated to the different folder?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> If you call site:site you call the goal of the plugin and NOT the life
>>> cycle. You need to call mvn site instead than pre-site and site life
>>> cycle
>>> phases will run...
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
One additional question,

I'm generating site.xml during pre-site phase and storing it into
target/generated-site/site.xml
But it seems to be not used
Is it by design? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
I have tried to to set siteDirectory to be target/generated-site
But it doesn't work very well on my multi-module project

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

you're the first one I see who does that: I never imagined to support this
scenario

Then I'd say: it's by design :)

I don't know if adding this feature would be hard or not

wrote:

> > Thanks a lot!
> > Works as expected!
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Lukas Theussl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Heya,
> >>
> >> Try ${project.build.directory}/generated-site or change the
> >> generatedSiteDirectory parameter, see
> >>
> >> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/site-mojo.html#generat
> >> edSiteDirectory
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> -Lukas

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Actually I have multi-module project
I have "main site" with some how-tos, announces etc.
and "standard" sites for all sub-modules: info, rat-report, javadocs,
dependencies etc.
Currently I have exactly the same site.xml for all these "standard" sites,
and I don't really like to have 7 copies of the same file :(

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you're the first one I see who does that: I never imagined to support this
> scenario
>
> Then I'd say: it's by design :)
>
> I don't know if adding this feature would be hard or not
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le jeudi 2 février 2017, 01:02:33 CET Maxim Solodovnik a écrit :
> > One additional question,
> >
> > I'm generating site.xml during pre-site phase and storing it into
> > target/generated-site/site.xml
> > But it seems to be not used
> > Is it by design? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > Thanks a lot!
> > > Works as expected!

> site-mojo.html#generat

> [hidden email]>

> using

> life

> > > --
> > > WBR
> > > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Hervé BOUTEMY
in all the cases I know of , since there is site.xml inheritance for shared
parts, site.xml for modules are not necessary.

Can you share the "standard" site.xml?

Le vendredi 3 février 2017, 16:31:14 CET Maxim Solodovnik a écrit :

> Actually I have multi-module project
> I have "main site" with some how-tos, announces etc.
> and "standard" sites for all sub-modules: info, rat-report, javadocs,
> dependencies etc.
> Currently I have exactly the same site.xml for all these "standard" sites,
> and I don't really like to have 7 copies of the same file :(
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > you're the first one I see who does that: I never imagined to support this
> > scenario
> >
> > Then I'd say: it's by design :)
> >
> > I don't know if adding this feature would be hard or not
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le jeudi 2 février 2017, 01:02:33 CET Maxim Solodovnik a écrit :
> > > One additional question,
> > >
> > > I'm generating site.xml during pre-site phase and storing it into
> > > target/generated-site/site.xml
> > > But it seems to be not used
> > > Is it by design? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

> > site-mojo.html#generat

> > [hidden email]>

> > using

> > life

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello Hervé,

Thanks for the quick reply,

Few words about project structure:
project root: https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/tree/3.2.x

main site.xml
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/src/site/site.xml
contains skin definitions and links being displayed by all modules

"standard" site.xml
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/openmeetings-util/src/site/site.xml

one of the modules:
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/tree/3.2.x/openmeetings-server
performing final assembly, and contains main site with all xdocs etc.:
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/openmeetings-server/src/site/site.xml

I'm not advanced maven user and still learning, so would appreciate any
suggestions :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Hervé BOUTEMY
Hi Maxim,

Sorry, was in vacations and lost the conversation... but let's continue

First, you gave great links to source code: do you have a published result
somewhere? (= a demo of the result you want, even if currently the code to
have such result is too complex and you're looking to make it simpler)

As first reaction from what I see in https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/
blob/3.2.x/openmeetings-util/src/site/site.xml, instead of:
  <menu name="Project">....</menu>
you should use
  <menu ref="reports"/>

see http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/doxia-decoration-model/
decoration.html#class_menu for reference documentation

Maven has a bunch of such multi-module component sites:
- Maven core:
  result = http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/
  source = https://github.com/apache/maven

- Doxia Sitetools (which is a key component of maven-site-plugin to do the
site menus...):
  result = http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/
  source = https://github.com/apache/maven-doxia-sitetools

I'm struggling for years to make easy doc do describe clearly relationship
between maven-site-plugin, Doxia and Doxia Sitetools: any feedback on how to
improve our documentation is welcome

Le lundi 6 février 2017, 10:20:55 CET Maxim Solodovnik a écrit :

> Hello Hervé,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply,
>
> Few words about project structure:
> project root: https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/tree/3.2.x
>
> main site.xml
> https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/src/site/site.xml
> contains skin definitions and links being displayed by all modules
>
> "standard" site.xml
> https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/openmeetings-util/src/site
> /site.xml
>
> one of the modules:
> https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/tree/3.2.x/openmeetings-server
> performing final assembly, and contains main site with all xdocs etc.:
> https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/blob/3.2.x/openmeetings-server/src/si
> te/site.xml
>
> I'm not advanced maven user and still learning, so would appreciate any
> suggestions :)
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > in all the cases I know of , since there is site.xml inheritance for
> > shared
> > parts, site.xml for modules are not necessary.
> >
> > Can you share the "standard" site.xml?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le vendredi 3 février 2017, 16:31:14 CET Maxim Solodovnik a écrit :
> > > Actually I have multi-module project
> > > I have "main site" with some how-tos, announces etc.
> > > and "standard" sites for all sub-modules: info, rat-report, javadocs,
> > > dependencies etc.
> > > Currently I have exactly the same site.xml for all these "standard"
> >
> > sites,
> >
> > > and I don't really like to have 7 copies of the same file :(

> > this

> > [hidden email]>

> > being

> > plugin?

> > site:site

> > the

Re: Generating xdoc content to be included into site

Maxim Solodovnik
Hello Hervé,

Thanks for your detailed reply :)
Here is the current site: http://openmeetings.apache.org
Sites for the sub-projects are:
http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-util/
http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-web/
some others.

Your suggestion with <menu ref="reports"/> works very well, unfortunately
It produces _huge_ bottom menu
And I'm unable to filter it :((
reflowSkin seems not to be actively developed, will try to ask question on
their github project

WBR
Maxim aka solomax