Experiments in vote counting

Benson Margulies
I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
willing to use their @apache.org email?

Binding votes:

+1 votes

 olamy
 struberg

Total count 2

Binding 0 votes

Total count 0

Binding -1 votes

Total count 0

Nonbinding votes:

+1 votes

 kristian.rosenvold
 stephen.alan.connolly
 herve.boutemy

Total count 3

Nonbinding 0 votes

Total count 0

Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

stephenconnolly
On 22 June 2011 23:20, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
> willing to use their @apache.org email?

Ugh! then I can't send from my Android phone... just have it know I'm me ;-)

> Binding votes:
>
> +1 votes
>
>  olamy
>  struberg
>
> Total count 2
>
> Binding 0 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Binding -1 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Nonbinding votes:
>
> +1 votes
>
>  kristian.rosenvold
>  stephen.alan.connolly
>  herve.boutemy
>
> Total count 3
>
> Nonbinding 0 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Manfred Moser
> On 22 June 2011 23:20, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>

> Ugh! then I can't send from my Android phone... just have it know I'm me
> ;-)

You need to install k9mail...

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Benson Margulies
I'll work on it.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 June 2011 23:20, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>

> Ugh! then I can't send from my Android phone... just have it know I'm me ;-)
>

>> Binding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>>  olamy
>>  struberg
>>
>> Total count 2
>>
>> Binding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Binding -1 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>>  kristian.rosenvold
>>  stephen.alan.connolly
>>  herve.boutemy
>>
>> Total count 3
>>
>> Nonbinding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Mark Struberg
yes please, I only use my a.o email addy via a secure tunnel which I only setup if I have very important things to do (writing announcement mails, member voting, etc)...

LieGrue,
strub

> > I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and
> matches it
> > against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of
> us vote from
> > email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs.
> Would people be
> > willing to use their @apache.org email?
> >

> Ugh! then I can't send from my Android phone... just have
> it know I'm me ;-)
>

> > Binding votes:
> >
> > +1 votes
> >
> >  olamy
> >  struberg
> >
> > Total count 2
> >
> > Binding 0 votes
> >
> > Total count 0
> >
> > Binding -1 votes
> >
> > Total count 0
> >
> > Nonbinding votes:
> >
> > +1 votes
> >
> >  kristian.rosenvold
> >  stephen.alan.connolly
> >  herve.boutemy
> >
> > Total count 3
> >
> > Nonbinding 0 votes
> >
> > Total count 0
> >
> > Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Ralph Goers
-1

I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen ASF email lists on it.  [hidden email] forwards to it. Event when I send as [hidden email] from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I have found to actually send from [hidden email] is to log in to people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.

Ralph

On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>
> Binding votes:
>
> +1 votes
>
> olamy
> struberg
>
> Total count 2
>
> Binding 0 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Binding -1 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Nonbinding votes:
>
> +1 votes
>
> kristian.rosenvold
> stephen.alan.connolly
> herve.boutemy
>
> Total count 3
>
> Nonbinding 0 votes
>
> Total count 0
>
> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Kristian Rosenvold-4
I am also sceptical to being forced into using the asf account unless
someone can explain a simple way to make my mail come from there via
something
IMAP/SMTP like. I have no problem with committing to voting only
from,say 2 or 3 different accounts ;)

How about somehow querying the ASF maililinglist server to determine
who's on the pmc list ?

Maybe we could put md5/sha1 hashes of all our voting email adresses on
the team list http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html ?

Kristian

Den 23.06.2011 06:45, skrev Ralph Goers:

> -1
>
> I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen ASF email lists on it.  [hidden email] forwards to it. Event when I send as [hidden email] from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I have found to actually send from [hidden email] is to log in to people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.
>
> Ralph
>
> On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>
>> Binding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>> olamy
>> struberg
>>
>> Total count 2
>>
>> Binding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Binding -1 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>> kristian.rosenvold
>> stephen.alan.connolly
>> herve.boutemy
>>
>> Total count 3
>>
>> Nonbinding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Benson Margulies
On gmail there's a somewhat recent addition to the config system for
this. However, it's clearly a nonstarter.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Ralph Goers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen ASF email lists on it.  [hidden email] forwards to it. Event when I send as [hidden email] from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I have found to actually send from [hidden email] is to log in to people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.
>
> Ralph
>
> On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>
>> Binding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>> olamy
>> struberg
>>
>> Total count 2
>>
>> Binding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Binding -1 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding votes:
>>
>> +1 votes
>>
>> kristian.rosenvold
>> stephen.alan.connolly
>> herve.boutemy
>>
>> Total count 3
>>
>> Nonbinding 0 votes
>>
>> Total count 0
>>
>> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Benson Margulies
This scheme does not have to be secure. How about asking people to
just toss their memberid in the form availid:royfielding into the
message body if you don't use an apache.org from?

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Kristian Rosenvold
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am also sceptical to being forced into using the asf account unless
> someone can explain a simple way to make my mail come from there via
> something
> IMAP/SMTP like. I have no problem with committing to voting only from,say 2
> or 3 different accounts ;)
>
> How about somehow querying the ASF maililinglist server to determine who's
> on the pmc list ?
>
> Maybe we could put md5/sha1 hashes of all our voting email adresses on the
> team list http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html ?
>

> Kristian
>

> Den 23.06.2011 06:45, skrev Ralph Goers:
>>
>> -1
>>
>> I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen
>> ASF email lists on it.  [hidden email] forwards to it. Event when I send
>> as [hidden email] from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it
>> always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to
>> do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I
>> have found to actually send from [hidden email] is to log in to
>> people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make
>> sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>>
>>> Binding votes:
>>>
>>> +1 votes
>>>
>>> olamy
>>> struberg
>>>
>>> Total count 2
>>>
>>> Binding 0 votes
>>>
>>> Total count 0
>>>
>>> Binding -1 votes
>>>
>>> Total count 0
>>>
>>> Nonbinding votes:
>>>
>>> +1 votes
>>>
>>> kristian.rosenvold
>>> stephen.alan.connolly
>>> herve.boutemy
>>>
>>> Total count 3
>>>
>>> Nonbinding 0 votes
>>>
>>> Total count 0
>>>
>>> Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Kristian Rosenvold-4
If you're supposed to do things fully automatic I think it should be
a little more secure than that.

Basically I just need a file of hash->pmc member id mappings. If things
need to be
simple we could just put it in a plaintext file on the site.

Using a formula like gravatar does
(http://en.gravatar.com/site/implement/hash/)
you could create a file like "pmcs.txt" or similar. I could just add
myself to the file like this

CAFEBABE1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
DEADBEEF1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
f9879d71855b5ff21e4963273a886bfc  krosenvold
A15212d71855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
ABADCAFE1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  brett

You just get the file from the project site, hash the sender email and
see if you have a match.
I'm sure the guys here will have a zillion further ways to improve this
scheme

Kristian

Den 23.06.2011 14:22, skrev Benson Margulies:

> This scheme does not have to be secure. How about asking people to
> just toss their memberid in the form availid:royfielding into the
> message body if you don't use an apache.org from?
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Kristian Rosenvold
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I am also sceptical to being forced into using the asf account unless
>> someone can explain a simple way to make my mail come from there via
>> something
>> IMAP/SMTP like. I have no problem with committing to voting only from,say 2
>> or 3 different accounts ;)
>>
>> How about somehow querying the ASF maililinglist server to determine who's
>> on the pmc list ?
>>
>> Maybe we could put md5/sha1 hashes of all our voting email adresses on the
>> team list http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html ?
>>

>> Kristian
>>

>> Den 23.06.2011 06:45, skrev Ralph Goers:
>>> -1
>>>
>>> I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen
>>> ASF email lists on it.  [hidden email] forwards to it. Event when I send
>>> as [hidden email] from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it
>>> always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to
>>> do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I
>>> have found to actually send from [hidden email] is to log in to
>>> people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make
>>> sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.
>>>
>>> Ralph

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Benson Margulies
I'm not concerned with full automation. My current vision is that the
tool pops up and says:

I think I got these votes from these people: OK?

Note that i can't make the vote parser itself 100% reliable since
people don't use the [X] convention.

Also, as we all know, the site is frequently not up to date on PMC members.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Kristian Rosenvold
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you're supposed to do things fully automatic I think it should be
> a little more secure than that.
>
> Basically I just need a file of hash->pmc member id mappings. If things need
> to be
> simple we could just put it in a plaintext file on the site.
>
> Using a formula like gravatar does
> (http://en.gravatar.com/site/implement/hash/)
> you could create a file like "pmcs.txt" or similar. I could just add myself
> to the file like this
>
> CAFEBABE1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
> DEADBEEF1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
> f9879d71855b5ff21e4963273a886bfc  krosenvold
> A15212d71855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  krosenvold
> ABADCAFE1855b5ff21e4963273a886ED  brett
>
> You just get the file from the project site, hash the sender email and see
> if you have a match.
> I'm sure the guys here will have a zillion further ways to improve this
> scheme
>
> Kristian
>

> Den 23.06.2011 14:22, skrev Benson Margulies:
>>
>> This scheme does not have to be secure. How about asking people to
>> just toss their memberid in the form availid:royfielding into the
>> message body if you don't use an apache.org from?
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Kristian Rosenvold
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I am also sceptical to being forced into using the asf account unless
>>> someone can explain a simple way to make my mail come from there via
>>> something
>>> IMAP/SMTP like. I have no problem with committing to voting only from,say
>>> 2
>>> or 3 different accounts ;)
>>>
>>> How about somehow querying the ASF maililinglist server to determine
>>> who's
>>> on the pmc list ?
>>>
>>> Maybe we could put md5/sha1 hashes of all our voting email adresses on
>>> the
>>> team list http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html ?
>>>

>>> Kristian

Re: Experiments in vote counting

jdcasey
If we wanted to take a more automated approach to the voting process as
a whole, you might be able to get the uniformity necessary. There are
quite a few steps to calling a vote, and even the vote email itself has
a certain "best practice" format. If we generated that vote email
somehow, then we could give a template for reply right at the top (or
bottom). Voters could highlight and reply with, or cut/paste...

Dunno, maybe that's a huge distraction from more interesting work, but
it seems like almost a natural extension of what ASF has been doing for
voting on members stuff for some time now...

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: Experiments in vote counting

dennisl
On 2011-06-23 16:24, John Casey wrote:
> If we wanted to take a more automated approach to the voting process as
> a whole, you might be able to get the uniformity necessary. There are
> quite a few steps to calling a vote, and even the vote email itself has
> a certain "best practice" format. If we generated that vote email
> somehow

This is something that I've wanted to do. Now that the announcement mail
templates are in place, I might be able to find time for this. Do we
want an auto-generated vote mail?

Dennis Lundberg