Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Dan Tran

Re: Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

rfscholte
My guess: references to snapshots or version ranges in one of your
(transitive) dependencies.

Robert

Re: Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Dan Tran
my particular module has one optional RPM dependency. this means it only
downloads one dependency and no transitive

not sure why this cause the strange metadata download behavior

-D

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My guess: references to snapshots or version ranges in one of your
> (transitive) dependencies.

Re: Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Dan Tran
and it happens at deploy phase only

-D

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> my particular module has one optional RPM dependency. this means it only
> downloads one dependency and no transitive
>
> not sure why this cause the strange metadata download behavior
>
> -D
>

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> My guess: references to snapshots or version ranges in one of your
>> (transitive) dependencies.
>>
>> Robert

Re: Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Arnaud Héritier
Are you defining a mirror in your maven settings ?
How many different snapshots repositories are defined in your project and
it's transitive dependencies (hard to define but from central it should
never be the case)
My guess is that in your project and transitive dependencies you are
defining ~20 snapshots repositories (with different identifiers).
When you upload upload an artifact, maven doesn't know where each artifact
comes from and thus it is asking to each repository if there are some
metadata for it.
It you have a catch-all mirror defined in your settings it could end to
have maven asking 20 times the same metadata to your mirror (Maven doesn't
compare at all the repositories URLs to see if some repositories with
different identifiers are targeting the same url)

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Excessive download/upload of maven-metadata.xml during maven deploy

Dan Tran
Yes, I have global maven settings to route all repositories to my internal
maven repository

  <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>

 I still can't connect the thought of transitive dependencies's
repositories can influence how maven-deploy-plugin handles module
maven-metadata.xml

I am very sure most corporate user would have internal maven repository, do
you see the same behavior?

since my project has about 250+ modules,  fixing this can improve build
time.

Thanks

-Dan