Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
Hi,
I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin

I have pushed a minimal configuration file
I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and PMCs...

Can I proceed ?

Enrico

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Tibor Digana
Manfred, did you see my comment on Slack?
Shortly, let's have dedicated machines just only for Maven project with
Infra support and one person from our team with Infra permissions just on
these machines. There are 6 Windows machine. So 4 Win/Ubuntu for us.
all: WDYT?

Cheers
Tibor

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:11 AM Manfred Moser <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I agree with Tibor. I would rather not have to deal with two different CI
> systems...
>
> Manfred
>
> Tibor Digana wrote on 2019-01-04 14:00:
>
> > @Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
> > After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
> > plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you
> just
> > let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 from me

> >> PMCs...

> >> Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
Travis up and running on Maven Scripting Plugin
this is the first build with integration tests

mvn verify -Prun-its
https://travis-ci.org/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/builds/475666300

This is how the PR looks like:
https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/pull/2

I think it is a great step forward for contributors

Il dom 6 gen 2019, 10:32 Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Le samedi 5 janvier 2019, 12:34:30 CET Enrico Olivelli a écrit :
> > Travis up and running on Maven Scripting Plugin
> > this is the first build with integration tests
> >
> > mvn verify -Prun-its
> > https://travis-ci.org/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/builds/475666300
> >
> > This is how the PR looks like:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/pull/2
> >
> > I think it is a great step forward for contributors
> +1
> such a basic setup is sufficient for 90% of our plugins, which have basic
> "mvn
> -Prun-its verify" requirement
>
> is it just about the addition of the .travis.yml on any git repository?

You have to add travis configuration file and you have to ask infra to
enable it, every committer ( at least I can and I am not special) will be
able to change the configuration using Travis Web Ui but only infra can
activate the service.

Beware that it is not only running 'verify' but also it is implicit in
Travis to run
mvn install -DskipTests -Djavadoc.skip..

See [1]

We could enable multiple java versions and maven version but you are
limited to linux and osx, not windows.
I think that in our case linux + latest jdk (11 currently) is enough, as
the committer will anyway test the patch on maven-box

Enrico

[1]
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/#projects-using-maven

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>

> > Il giorno sab 5 gen 2019 alle ore 10:35 Enrico Olivelli
> >
> > <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> us.

> NO

> Bookkeeper
> > >
> > > Sure, this is an example of PR on BookKeeper, there are up to 10 checks
> > > triggered by github, one on travis which validates the build, without
> > > tests, on every supported java version, then you have many ASF jenkins
> > > jobs for tests and integration tests Bookkeeper tests are huge and so
> we
> > > split the test suite in 5 parts, so that it is easier to restart a
> single
> > > job and not to re run the full suite (we still have some flakes)
> > >
> > > https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/1572
> > >
> > > If you create a PR you will see that the user has the ability to 'skip'
> > > some jobs, maybe because his change is only about the website or about
> > > some specific parts. In Bookkeeper we have very strict
> review-then-commit
> > > rules so every one uses PRs in his every day activity on BK.
> > >
> > > On Zookeeper we have a single precommit job which builds PRs and now we
> > > are also enabling Travis this month (the project is migrating from Ant
> > > Maven and so Travis will be easy to use and most usable for non
> > > committers)
> > >
> > > In both of the two projects we have configured the 'trigger phrase'
> and we
> > > have whitelisted the apache committers github group for such trigger.
> > >
> > > Currently all of the jobs are triggered even at PR creation and at
> > > close/reopen, this can be dangerous. We can skip this for Maven and
> > > enable only the trigger phrase. As already said this is not possible
> with
> > > current maven-box plugin
> > >
> > > Enrico

> community

> > > --
> > >

> > > -- Enrico Olivelli

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

you mean this directory is not involved in the seed job [2]?
when I look into this job, I see a "Process Job DSLs" step that looks on
filesystem ".test-infra/jenkins/job_*.groovy"

in Maven, the "maven-box" seed job [3] is created with the ASF's Gitpubsub
Jenkins plugin that creates the mutlibranch pipeline jobs, that's really the
same idea, no?

[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/bookkeeper-seed/

[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/

Le dimanche 6 janvier 2019, 11:48:29 CET Enrico Olivelli a écrit :

> [...]
> >
> > Maven
> >
> > > and so Travis will be easy to use and most usable for non committers)
> > >
> > > In both of the two projects we have configured the 'trigger phrase' and
> >
> > we
> >
> > > have whitelisted the apache committers github group for such trigger.
> > >
> > > Currently all of the jobs are triggered even at PR creation and at
> > > close/reopen, this can be dangerous. We can skip this for Maven and
> >
> > enable
> >
> > > only the trigger phrase.
> > > As already said this is not possible with current maven-box plugin
> > >
> > > Enrico

> > and

> > [hidden email]>

> > community

> > > -- Enrico Olivelli

> > --
>
> -- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Sylwester Lachiewicz
In Maven Resolver we have a sample Travis configuration, so someone can
test with the forked repo.
If we go with Travis CI I would be good to have a common configuration for
all projects (ie to run run-it etc and have .travis.yml excluded from RAT).
I saw in one Apache project (don't remember now name) where they have a
separate script to merge PR but prerequisite was to PR from forked repo has
successful Travis build.
This way we do not use "our" Apache accounts to run builds and developers
are free to configure anything (and be responsible) in its own Travis
accounts.

BR
Sylwester

pt., 4 sty 2019 o 19:21 Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Hi,
> I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin
>
> I have pushed a minimal configuration file
> I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and PMCs...
>
> Can I proceed ?
>
> Enrico

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

stephenconnolly
Go for it. Nobody said no (and forgiveness is sometimes easier than
permission)

Ask infra which they prefer, all in one go or one at a time

Sent from my phone