Enable Dependencies not doing anything

Meghiddo
I am not sure what to try, but I keep right clicking and selecting enable maven dependencies.  That does nothing but it does give me all the new maven menu options.
So I then hit update dependencies, nothing happens, and then I hit update project configuration, still nothing.
The Maven folder does not even get created.

I am doing this at work, and the person who helped me said to try things in that order and it should work.  Although he did have one extra step, which was that I needed to select 'enable nested modules', but i have been reading and found that this feature has been removed.  Maybe that will help someone figure out why this is not working for me and provide an alternative to enabling nested modules?

Any ideas?