Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

geoffrey-35
Having these configurations:

/mymultiproject/project.xml
/mymultiproject/globalmavenconfig/project.xml (parent POM for all others)
/mymultiproject/mypersistancylayer/project.xml (module A)
/mymultiproject/myviewlayer/project.xml (module B that depends on A)

I would like to set up an eclipse project.
Options are eclipse 3.0.2 or 3.1: which is prefered?
In this eclipse project I must be able
- to CVS update the entire project (/mymultiproject/**/*) with eclipse.
- edit all project.xml (including the one from the multiproject).

I 've tried "maven eclipse" on all and including all those, but Eclipse
won't let me add mymultiproject in combination with any other project in the
same workspace because directories overlap.
By only adding mymultiproject the source directories etc aren't set
correctly.

--
Thanks for any and all help,
Geoffrey

Re: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

Brett Porter
I got told on the Eclipse bugzilla that there is a way to setup some
sort of other views that might allow this, but I have no idea.

Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to not include the root in eclipse.

Eclipse have an open bug for allowing such a structure, but it is unscheduled.

- Brett

On 6/12/05, Geoffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having these configurations:
>
> /mymultiproject/project.xml
> /mymultiproject/globalmavenconfig/project.xml (parent POM for all others)
> /mymultiproject/mypersistancylayer/project.xml (module A)
> /mymultiproject/myviewlayer/project.xml (module B that depends on A)
>
> I would like to set up an eclipse project.
> Options are eclipse 3.0.2 or 3.1: which is prefered?
> In this eclipse project I must be able
> - to CVS update the entire project (/mymultiproject/**/*) with eclipse.
> - edit all project.xml (including the one from the multiproject).
>
> I 've tried "maven eclipse" on all and including all those, but Eclipse
> won't let me add mymultiproject in combination with any other project in the
> same workspace because directories overlap.
> By only adding mymultiproject the source directories etc aren't set
> correctly.
>
> --
> Thanks for any and all help,
> Geoffrey

Re: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

geoffrey-35
> Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to not include the root in
eclipse.

What's the adviced way to do an update with Eclipse in that scenario?

Geoffrey

"Brett Porter" <[hidden email]> schreef in bericht
news:[hidden email]...
I got told on the Eclipse bugzilla that there is a way to setup some
sort of other views that might allow this, but I have no idea.

Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to not include the root in
eclipse.

Eclipse have an open bug for allowing such a structure, but it is
unscheduled.

- Brett

On 6/12/05, Geoffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having these configurations:
>
> /mymultiproject/project.xml
> /mymultiproject/globalmavenconfig/project.xml (parent POM for all others)
> /mymultiproject/mypersistancylayer/project.xml (module A)
> /mymultiproject/myviewlayer/project.xml (module B that depends on A)
>
> I would like to set up an eclipse project.
> Options are eclipse 3.0.2 or 3.1: which is prefered?
> In this eclipse project I must be able
> - to CVS update the entire project (/mymultiproject/**/*) with eclipse.
> - edit all project.xml (including the one from the multiproject).
>
> I 've tried "maven eclipse" on all and including all those, but Eclipse
> won't let me add mymultiproject in combination with any other project in
the

> same workspace because directories overlap.
> By only adding mymultiproject the source directories etc aren't set
> correctly.
>
> --
> Thanks for any and all help,
> Geoffrey

Re: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

Brett Porter
There isn't. But your root should have very few files...

the other alternative is to move your root to a subdirectory too, so
it won't overlap. IMO, it's an entirely awkward layout, but it is what
eclipse requires...

- Brett

On 6/12/05, Geoffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to not include the root in
> eclipse.
>
> What's the adviced way to do an update with Eclipse in that scenario?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Geoffrey
>
> "Brett Porter" <[hidden email]> schreef in bericht
> news:[hidden email]...
> I got told on the Eclipse bugzilla that there is a way to setup some
> sort of other views that might allow this, but I have no idea.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to not include the root in
> eclipse.
>
> Eclipse have an open bug for allowing such a structure, but it is
> unscheduled.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 6/12/05, Geoffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Having these configurations:
> >
> > /mymultiproject/project.xml
> > /mymultiproject/globalmavenconfig/project.xml (parent POM for all others)
> > /mymultiproject/mypersistancylayer/project.xml (module A)
> > /mymultiproject/myviewlayer/project.xml (module B that depends on A)
> >
> > I would like to set up an eclipse project.
> > Options are eclipse 3.0.2 or 3.1: which is prefered?
> > In this eclipse project I must be able
> > - to CVS update the entire project (/mymultiproject/**/*) with eclipse.
> > - edit all project.xml (including the one from the multiproject).
> >
> > I 've tried "maven eclipse" on all and including all those, but Eclipse
> > won't let me add mymultiproject in combination with any other project in
> the
> > same workspace because directories overlap.
> > By only adding mymultiproject the source directories etc aren't set
> > correctly.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks for any and all help,
> > Geoffrey

Re: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

rahul-12

I ran into similar issues with Eclipse set for mulitple projects.

Have a look at this plugin- it might help to some extent. It can
traverse all projects but you will still need to choose which one to
import into your workspace and which ones to exclude:
http://eclipse-tools.sourceforge.net/projecttransfer/download.html

Cheers,
Rahul

Geoffrey wrote:

>Having these configurations:
>
>/mymultiproject/project.xml
>/mymultiproject/globalmavenconfig/project.xml (parent POM for all others)
>/mymultiproject/mypersistancylayer/project.xml (module A)
>/mymultiproject/myviewlayer/project.xml (module B that depends on A)
>
>I would like to set up an eclipse project.
>Options are eclipse 3.0.2 or 3.1: which is prefered?
>In this eclipse project I must be able
>- to CVS update the entire project (/mymultiproject/**/*) with eclipse.
>- edit all project.xml (including the one from the multiproject).
>
>I 've tried "maven eclipse" on all and including all those, but Eclipse
>won't let me add mymultiproject in combination with any other project in the
>same workspace because directories overlap.
>By only adding mymultiproject the source directories etc aren't set
>correctly.

RE: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

Ryan Sonnek
This problem is solved if use a "flat" project layout.  simply place
you're parent project.xml in a seperate folder and update the
multiproject properties to this:
#multiproject settings.
maven.multiproject.basedir=${basedir}/../
maven.multiproject.includes=*/project.xml
maven.multiproject.excludes=PARENT_PROJECT_DIRECTORY/project.xml

I've used maven and eclipse together in this way for my projects for a
LONG time.  it works great.  if you need an actual example project,
check out: https://shard.dev.java.net/source/browse/shard/

I had all this info on the old maven wiki, but that info seems to be
long gone.  is there a maven wiki anywhere?

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Eclipse configuration for a root multiproject

Brett Porter
That's a shame... maybe it turned up after I got my HTML dump that I
incorporated into the current site. By the time I got to it, it was so
severely defaced by script kiddies that there was nothing left.

There are a couple of options for this: we have a confluence install
at codehaus (which to this point has not been used for user
documentation) and a wiki at Apache which is presently unused. It
might be a good entry point, but I prefer things to end up in the main
site.

Perhaps you could draft a change to the eclipse IDE instructions on
the site that we could incoporate?

Thanks,
Brett