Eclipse LemMinX & Maven extension: a Language Server for pom files

Eclipse LemMinX & Maven extension: a Language Server for pom files

Mickael Istria-2
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce to the Maven community the Eclipse LemMinX Language
Server for XML files (
https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx/blob/master/README.md ) and, more
importantly here, its extension for Maven pom files:
https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx-maven/blob/master/README.md .
While the XML language server already provides some XML and schema
validation and code assistance (completion, hover documentation, tree-based
outline...) for the pom files thanks to the Maven XSD schema; the Maven
extension adds some Maven specific smartness to it, like proper
understanding of GAVs, repositories (and indexes), completion of plugin
parameters and whatnot, a more complete list of features is available at
https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx-maven/blob/master/README.md#features

This LSP-based offer is already providing a lot of value to users thanks to
its rich features and its fresh completion workflow that try to minimize
the amount of boilerplate users have to type to get assistance.
It's easy to embed in any tool that supports the Language Server Protocol.
As mentioned on
https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx-maven/blob/master/README.md#integrations
, it's currently used by Eclipse m2e (snapshots) and vscode-xml plugin and
will quickly be used by other IDEs like Eclipse Che or Eclipse Theia and so
on. The concrete goal is to become the de-facto standard technology for
anyone who needs to provide some edition assistance for pom files.
Of course, it's a young project, and some use-cases may not be very well
supported yet. But there are plans to improve all that; and those plans can
involve you ;) Indeed, it's a pure OSS project, under the Eclipse
Foundation governance rule (business-and-community-friendly EPLv2,
meritocracy, vendor neutrality, clear IP...) which you can contribute to by
using the usual GitHub workflows for issues and pull requests, making
contributions safe and easy.

So feel welcome to try, evaluate, report issues, debug, submit PRs, blog,
tweet, embed... LemMinX and its Maven extensions. The entry point is
https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx-maven

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE <https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/>
developer, for Red Hat Developers <https://developers.redhat.com/>

Re: Eclipse LemMinX & Maven extension: a Language Server for pom files

Nick_S
Hi Mickael,

This looks like a cool project!

I was wondering if you send this intentionally to the dev mailinglist? I
think this is better suitable for the user mailinglist, also you have a
much broader audience there.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell