Drop Java 9 and 10 from asfMavenTlpStdBuild()

Drop Java 9 and 10 from asfMavenTlpStdBuild()

michaelo
Friends,

can someone drop those version from the Jenkins config? They aren't
supported anymore and were short term releases anyway.

Michael

Re: Drop Java 9 and 10 from asfMavenTlpStdBuild()

Robert Scholte-8
Java 9 and 10 have the same status as Java 1.7 right now.
Knowing that the majority of Java projects/developers will go from 1.8 to
11 (because this is in the first LTS for some vendors) it probably makes
sense to drop these versions by default.
I'll remove them.

Robert

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 19:16:11 +0100, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Friends,
>
> can someone drop those version from the Jenkins config? They aren't
> supported anymore and were short term releases anyway.
>
> Michael

Re: Drop Java 9 and 10 from asfMavenTlpStdBuild()

Robert Scholte-8
On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 20:44:33 +0100, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 2018-12-25 um 20:38 schrieb Robert Scholte:
>> Java 9 and 10 have the same status as Java 1.7 right now.
>
> I don't think so. Java 7 still receives updates whereas 9 and 10 are
> dead. You can go to OpenJDK 7 or Zulu 7, this is what I use for testing.

It all depends on the vendor and licensing. OpenJDK doesn't have any LTS,
Zulu has something called MTS for Java 9[1].
We might need to discuss this once we get issues related to unsupported
JDKs and how to handle them. For now it is too early and for me not worth
it. It could very well be this situation won't occur.

Robert

ps. in the beginning of next year we should start adding Java 12 to the
defaults, to confirm all is still working fine.

[1] https://www.azul.com/products/azul_support_roadmap/