Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Enrico Olivelli
Hi all,
I have sent a draft of the release notes for 3.6.2

this is the PR
https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/99/files

Feel free to add comments or push fixes directly to the branch.

It still lacks a bit of formatting, but the content is ready

Cheers
Enrico

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Tibor Digana
We should use authors of the issue/PR/idea.
After the release we can ask WHY (practical goals) he wanted the feature
more than how. The question for "HOW" has to be placed very early during
the review, but too late after the PR has been merged.
I expect that the reviewer developer has checked all the code, so there
would not be questions about *how* it is done. If the reviewer does not
understand the code and he admits the change, then it is question for him
whenever a new trouble happens.
So this is my opinion - listing the author(s) of the idea in every issue/PR.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 10:40 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not sure if the reader of the release notes is helped with a long list of
> reporters and contributers per issue.
> I would expect that only a list of (unique) names is good enough.
>
> If there is someone that deserves extra credits, I'd say it is Stefan
> Oehme for diving into the code, looking for memory leaks AND providing
> patches to solve it.
>
> thanks for pushing this release!
> Robert
>
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 22:02:31 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have sent a draft of the release notes for 3.6.2
> >
> > this is the PR
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/99/files
> >
> > Feel free to add comments or push fixes directly to the branch.
> >
> > It still lacks a bit of formatting, but the content is ready
> >
> > Cheers
> > Enrico

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Enrico Olivelli
In my opinion release notes should tell:
- new features/news and noteworthy
- user visible changes
- breaking changes

I would add a list of contributors.
The list of 'reporters' is not useful.

I see we are doing those lists in order to have a better engagement with
the community, but I am not sure at 100% it is something that should stay
forever on the website, maybe it can be in the announcement email.

I have used the release notes of 3.6.1 as template, to me it is not a
problem to shrink the list making some sort of select
'distict(reportername)', distinct(contributor name).

Enrico

Il sab 31 ago 2019, 11:17 Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> For me and many users the Release Note like this are very hard to read and
> hard to find what is needed.
> Many times they go to google because it's easier to search than walking
> through all versions of release notes.
>
> We do not have a cumulative documentation with a list of features and we
> often point to release notes whenever any uaser is asking about feature or
> for a problem that he has in his build.
>
> If it was only up to me, I would have the cumulative documentation(s) which
> is in one folder, and another documents would be Jira Report generated by
> "reporting" and this would include the author in the table - easy and
> automated.
> IMO it should be just like in the plugins - every feature fully documented
> in src/site/../*.apt and pushed with the code and tests to master in one
> commit.
>
> Then the Release Notes would be a matter of command line "mvn site ...".
>
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:45 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The goal of release notes is that they are being read.
> > There should be a good balance of the amount of information, preventing
> > people to say TLDR;
> >
> > A long list of 'MNG-NNNN John Doe' doesn't provide me useful information.
> > The list of 'MNG-NNNN A good JIRA title' is useful and visiting the
> > related Jira page will provide you the extra information, including the
> > actual reporter and contributors.
> >
> > Summing up a list of names that helped on the release is a good way to
> > appreciate their help on this release.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 08:33:15 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]
> >

> > wrote:
> >
> > > We should use authors of the issue/PR/idea.
> > > After the release we can ask WHY (practical goals) he wanted the
> feature
> > > more than how. The question for "HOW" has to be placed very early
> during
> > > the review, but too late after the PR has been merged.
> > > I expect that the reviewer developer has checked all the code, so there
> > > would not be questions about *how* it is done. If the reviewer does not
> > > understand the code and he admits the change, then it is question for
> him
> > > whenever a new trouble happens.
> > > So this is my opinion - listing the author(s) of the idea in every
> > > issue/PR.

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

rfscholte
On Mon, 02 Sep 2019 19:59:01 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Any suggestion ?
> I am leaning towards creating a single list of "Contributors" and a list
> of
> "Reporters"

I agree with Romain that we're kind of mixing the different kind of
reports, but in all cases every block of text needs to add value and it
should be compact, though easy to read/overview. Compressing reporters and
contributors to a list (or comma separated line) makes sense to me.

Robert

> [...]
>> But still "reporter" is important because without him the idea would not
>> exist and this is important for users, I mean the idea, but contributor
>> will be always in the development team or in the users which is the
>> matter
>> of time when somebody writes the code. Contributors are important for
>> development and us in ASF but the reporter is relevant for users
>> because he
>> is the architect of "business idea" - of course it is not the same as in
>> the enterprise. In the enterprise, the customer does not care who is
>> contributor ala developer, he cares about the work done for him.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 1:05 PM Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > In my opinion release notes should tell:
>> > - new features/news and noteworthy
>> > - user visible changes
>> > - breaking changes
>> >
>> > I would add a list of contributors.
>> > The list of 'reporters' is not useful.
>> >
>> > I see we are doing those lists in order to have a better engagement
>> with
>> > the community, but I am not sure at 100% it is something that should
>> stay
>> > forever on the website, maybe it can be in the announcement email.
>> >
>> > I have used the release notes of 3.6.1 as template, to me it is not a
>> > problem to shrink the list making some sort of select
>> > 'distict(reportername)', distinct(contributor name).
>> >
>> > Enrico

>> read
>> > and
>> walking

>> and
>> we
>> feature
>> > or

>> documentation(s)
>> > which
>> generated
>> by
>> and
>> > documented
>> one

>> ...".

>> <[hidden email]>

>> preventing

>> > information.
>> the
>> including
>> the

>> way

>> > [hidden email]

>> early
>> so
>> > there
>> does
>> > not
>> question
>> for
>> every

>> > [hidden email]>

>> long
>> > list
>> enough.

>> > Stefan
>> > providing

>> branch.

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Romain Manni-Bucau
Agree, +1 for a single list (see last paragraph for a note on this)

@Tibor: we dont really have a contibutor section in the pom :p. Joke apart,
it cant be used at all here because it ignores the time slice the report
requires and does not scale well in time. Jira and git are reliable and
easily scriptable so no real reason to require yet another manual
synchro/task and new meta to be able to do the extraction IMHO.

Btw, when listing only contributors for one version, a lot of projects call
them "release heros", I kind of like this promotion of people who helped
which abstracts code, doc, test, report etc...It represents well what we
call "community" IMHO.