Double copy of XML in POMs

Joshua Fox-3
I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable debug logging for more details

It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a double copy of the XML! See the attached example.

I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.

Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

michaelo
Am 2018-08-02 um 12:48 schrieb Joshua Fox:

> I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
>
> *The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not
> be available, enable debug logging for more details*
>

> It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a *double copy *of the XML!
> See the attached example.
>
> I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.
>
> Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Hard to tell if we cannot reproduce this. It also could be a Modello
issue. Have you checked open ones with MNG in JIRA?

Michael

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Yes, this is a known issue, see  MNG-6281[1] Up until Maven 3.3.9 this was never an issue, until we fixed  MNG-6020[2]. Before that Maven stopped reading after the closing root-tag.
It is very hard to reproduce. One of the possibilities I have in mind is that the same pom is required twice (either by 2 Maven executions or as part of the reactor) and that the files are appended.
I still think  MNG-6020 is a good fix: the file must contain valid XML. So I'd love to see an explanation for this weird behavior and fix it.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6281
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6020

On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 12:48:52 +0200, Joshua Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable debug logging for more details

It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a double copy of the XML! See the attached example.

I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.

Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Joshua Fox-3
Thank you! Good to know that is is being handled. (It is not a blocker
since we deleted the repository and forced a new download.)

--

*JOSHUA FOX*
Director, Software Architecture | Freightos

*T (Israel): *+972-545691165 | *T (US)*:  +1-3123400953
Smooth shipping.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

rfscholte
If you ever have some ideas about how this could happen, we're really
curious about those details to be able to reproduce it.

thanks,
Robert

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 09:56:00 +0200, Joshua Fox <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you! Good to know that is is being handled. (It is not a blocker
> since we deleted the repository and forced a new download.)
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:07 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is a known issue, see  MNG-6281[1] Up until Maven 3.3.9 this
>> was
>> never an issue, until we fixed  MNG-6020[2]. Before that Maven stopped
>> reading after the closing root-tag.
>> It is very hard to reproduce. One of the possibilities I have in mind is
>> that the same pom is required twice (either by 2 Maven executions or as
>> part of the reactor) and that the files are appended.
>> I still think  MNG-6020 is a good fix: the file must contain valid XML.
>> So
>> I'd love to see an explanation for this weird behavior and fix it.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6281
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6020
>>
>> On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 12:48:52 +0200, Joshua Fox <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I got a lot of these error messages using Maven 3.5 on Windows 10.
>>
>> *The POM for… jar…  is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will
>> not
>> be available, enable debug logging for more details*
>>

>> It turns out that the POM files consisted  of a *double copy *of the
>> XML!
>> See the attached example.
>>
>> I removed ~/.m2/ and rebuilt, and the POMs were  OK.
>>
>> Is this a known issue? It is very strange to see XML appearing twice.

Re: Double copy of XML in POMs

Joshua Fox-3
I'll ask my team to report to me if anyone sees it.