Quantcast

Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Menke, Mikolaj
Hello,

Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme, a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to avoid creating another repo.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,
Mikolaj Menke

Re: Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Alexis Morelle
Actually the question of deleting old releases is open so why not
deprecated ones if they are marked as deprecated for a while first.

Anyway, I think you can use the routing rules (see
http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-managing-routes.html#manual-routing)
by blocking the path to your artfiact's version.

Alexis.

On 28/10/2014 16:42, Menke, Mikolaj wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme, a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to avoid creating another repo.
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Mikolaj Menke

RE: Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Menke, Mikolaj
Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I am afraid routing will not work in this case as the routing rules are applicable only when trying to resolve an artifact from a repository group. I would like to deprecate artifacts in a hosted repository (releases).

Regards,
Mikolaj Menke

Actually the question of deleting old releases is open so why not
deprecated ones if they are marked as deprecated for a while first.

Anyway, I think you can use the routing rules (see
http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-managing-routes.html#manual-routing)
by blocking the path to your artfiact's version.

Alexis.

On 28/10/2014 16:42, Menke, Mikolaj wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme, a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to avoid creating another repo.
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Mikolaj Menke

Actually the question of deleting old releases is open so why not
deprecated ones if they are marked as deprecated for a while first.

Anyway, I think you can use the routing rules (see
http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-managing-routes.html#manual-routing)

by blocking the path to your artfiact's version.

Alexis.

On 28/10/2014 16:42, Menke, Mikolaj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating
> artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from
> releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very
> bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly
> discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds
> which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there
> any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme,
> a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used
> (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated
> release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to
> avoid creating another repo.
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Mikolaj Menke

RE: Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Kempken, S (Sebastian)
Hello,

looking at the documentation you've referenced, routing works only on the first two levels of the Group ID. Is it possible to implement routing based on artifact's versions?

Thanks and best regards,
Sebastian

Actually the question of deleting old releases is open so why not deprecated ones if they are marked as deprecated for a while first.

Anyway, I think you can use the routing rules (see
http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-managing-routes.html#manual-routing)
by blocking the path to your artfiact's version.

Alexis.

On 28/10/2014 16:42, Menke, Mikolaj wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme, a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to avoid creating another repo.
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Mikolaj Menke

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Re: Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Rich Seddon
I wouldn't recommend using routing for this, this will add unnecessary overhead to request processing (you're going to end up with a lot of regular expressions that need to be evaluated for every download).

And as you've noted, routing works against group repositories, not regular repositories.

In any case, I'm not sure how this is any better than deleting, in the end anyone using these artifacts ends up with a failed build and no explanation from their side as to why it failed.

What is your motivation for deprecation?  Have the artifacts moved? If so, you can use a relocation in the pom.

Rich

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Kempken, S (Sebastian) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

looking at the documentation you've referenced, routing works only on the first two levels of the Group ID. Is it possible to implement routing based on artifact's versions?

Thanks and best regards,
Sebastian

Actually the question of deleting old releases is open so why not deprecated ones if they are marked as deprecated for a while first.

Anyway, I think you can use the routing rules (see
http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-managing-routes.html#manual-routing)
by blocking the path to your artfiact's version.

Alexis.

On 28/10/2014 16:42, Menke, Mikolaj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I got a question from one of our Nexus users about deprecating artifacts. He complained that his colleagues simply remove artifacts from releases if they want to deprecate it. I told him that this is generally a very bad idea and nothing should be removed from releases and that we strongly discourage from doing so. I also told him that this may lead to breaking builds which he of course confirmed to happen. Thus there is the question - is there any recommended way to deprecate artifacts? Some configuration option, scheme, a plugin or anything? If there is a release that should not be used (deprecated), is there a standard procedure to handle that? Maybe a deprecated release could be moved perhaps to a "deprecated" repo, but I would like to avoid creating another repo.
> Thank you in advance for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Mikolaj Menke

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

RE: Deprecating artifacts in Nexus

Menke, Mikolaj

Hello,

The user claims he wants to deprecate an artifact because it has a serious bug and for this reason the artifact should never be used. That is why they want to deprecate it somehow.

Regards,

Mikolaj Menke

> [...]

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Peter Lynch-2

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Menke, Mikolaj <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

The user claims he wants to deprecate an artifact because it has a serious bug and for this reason the artifact should never be used. That is why they want to deprecate it somehow.

Given this sounds like a one off - and there will be an alternative version that can be used - deleting it may be acceptable.

BTW, our CLM product can create policies to manage this type of enforcement.

Regards,

Mikolaj Menke