Deploying same version overwrites existing release

Deploying same version overwrites existing release

Hayes, Peter
Is there a way to configure maven to not allow it to deploy over an
existing release artifact?

Peter Hayes
Architecture & Shared Technology Services | Fidelity Investments
Management Technology

RE: Deploying same version overwrites existing release

John Coleman-4
But if you use relase:prepare/release:perform then your snapshot version
number goes up afterwards and overwritting is impossible?

John

RE: Deploying same version overwrites existing release

Hayes, Peter
Yes that is true.  We are using clearcase though and the release plugin
has some limitations with regards to clearcase.

I thought though that once a release is made, it should never be changed
as it is in the "wild" and may have already been used.  For instance, I
think recently the maven developers had a problem with the release of
the archetype plugin and they did not just re-release that version, they
moved to a new one.  If this is the recommended process, then I would
think it would be appropriate for the deploy command to (at least by
default) not allow the overwriting of an existing artifact.

Pete

But if you use relase:prepare/release:perform then your snapshot version
number goes up afterwards and overwritting is impossible?

John

Re: Deploying same version overwrites existing release

Wayne Fay
Not ideal, but you could set up a cron job or similar to frequently
set -w to all the files in your deploy directories. Then you couldn't
overwrite things due to filesystem privileges.

Wayne

On 9/26/07, Hayes, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes that is true.  We are using clearcase though and the release plugin
> has some limitations with regards to clearcase.
>
> I thought though that once a release is made, it should never be changed
> as it is in the "wild" and may have already been used.  For instance, I
> think recently the maven developers had a problem with the release of
> the archetype plugin and they did not just re-release that version, they
> moved to a new one.  If this is the recommended process, then I would
> think it would be appropriate for the deploy command to (at least by
> default) not allow the overwriting of an existing artifact.
>
> Pete

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Peter