Depending on snapshot versions at HEAD

Elliotte Rusty Harold
I happened to notice today that the maven-resources-plugin at HEAD in
the repo (not the released version) depends on the latest SNAPSHOT of
maven-filtering:

https://github.com/apache/maven-resources-plugin/blob/master/pom.xml

Is this generally OK? That is can we commit code to a repo that
depends on an unreleased SNAPSHOT version of another plugin/library?
If this is considered kosher, it would help unblock some work on the
maven-dependency-plugin.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Depending on snapshot versions at HEAD

Olivier Lamy
yup it is and ease testing.
 as long as you deploy manually the snapshot (but I remember to have
changed our jenkinsfile to deploy master automatically)

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 01:04, Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I happened to notice today that the maven-resources-plugin at HEAD in
> the repo (not the released version) depends on the latest SNAPSHOT of
> maven-filtering:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-resources-plugin/blob/master/pom.xml
>
> Is this generally OK? That is can we commit code to a repo that
> depends on an unreleased SNAPSHOT version of another plugin/library?
> If this is considered kosher, it would help unblock some work on the
> maven-dependency-plugin.
>

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Olivier Lamy

Re: Depending on snapshot versions at HEAD

Dennis Lundberg-3

Given that I've been gone for some time from this list things might have
changed. If that's the case I'm sure someone will correct me :)

But it used to be the way to do things when you have a chain of related
components, which is quite common in Maven. If we take
maven-resouces-plugin, which I'm working on right now, it has a dependency
on maven-filtering which contains all the code for filtering resources.
That in turn depends on maven-shared-util, which is specified as a SNAPSHOT
in maven-filtering. When the time comes to make a release, all these
SNAPSHOT dependencies will need to be addressed. So you have a "release
train" where you will start with the component furthest down the dependency
tree, release that and then continue on with the next one until you reach
the top. In my example the order will be maven-shared-util, maven-filtering
and finally maven-resources-plugin.

Dennis Lundberg