DJ "Genapp Templates" vs. DJ "Maven site Docs" vs. Paul Oakenfold

DJ "Genapp Templates" vs. DJ "Maven site Docs" vs. Paul Oakenfold

Mykel Alvis
Ready....fight!

OK. Maybe not. And this may have been covered elsewhere on the list and my
search just not returned it.
And maybe DJs in general and Paul Oakenfold in particular also have nothing
to do with this post.

BUT:

The docs for the ten minute tutorial for m1 appear to produce a different
tree structure than the default genapp call does.
Specificially, the introduction of the "main" directory to hold all the code
and resources to be deployed with the artifact.
This appears to be a documentation error, but which one is "right"? Having
never had a reason to
use genapp until today (when I was reading the sample chapter of the
Developer's Notebook), I managed to note that
for about a zillion maven projects I'm working on or have worked, the
structure is intrinsically different from the examples
because I followed the docs instead of using the plugin.

Compound this with the mevenide issue where the "New Maven Project" by
default produces yet another directory structure also
different from the site docs.

What does this all matter, you might ask? Or maybe instead you might say
"STFU, n00b! F1><3d layouts R 4 l00zers!"
I know there's no absolutes, but one of the things I sell maven with is the
ability to allow developers to understand the codebase immediately. Worse
yet,
it was noticed almost simultaneously by...you guessed it...one of the people
I've sold the maven concept to.

So I'm just noting something that might have been beaten to death already,
but if so then could someone point me to the pertinent threads/blogs/sites
so I can stop irritiating everyone on the list?

And if it hasn't, then could someone explain the variance and what's
considered the actual best practice and how soon could we all at least note
the variance in some documentation?

Re: DJ "Genapp Templates" vs. DJ "Maven site Docs" vs. Paul Oakenfold

Brett Porter
Hi Mykel,

The standard on the website is the one we all agreed on about a year
ago. Unfortunately, the genapp plugin hasn't caught up yet :)

http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html

I'm not sure about mevenide: you'd need to task on their lists I think.

Cheers,
Brett

On 6/15/05, Mykel Alvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ready....fight!
>
> OK. Maybe not. And this may have been covered elsewhere on the list and my
> search just not returned it.
> And maybe DJs in general and Paul Oakenfold in particular also have nothing
> to do with this post.
>
> BUT:
>
> The docs for the ten minute tutorial for m1 appear to produce a different
> tree structure than the default genapp call does.
> Specificially, the introduction of the "main" directory to hold all the code
> and resources to be deployed with the artifact.
> This appears to be a documentation error, but which one is "right"? Having
> never had a reason to
> use genapp until today (when I was reading the sample chapter of the
> Developer's Notebook), I managed to note that
> for about a zillion maven projects I'm working on or have worked, the
> structure is intrinsically different from the examples
> because I followed the docs instead of using the plugin.
>
> Compound this with the mevenide issue where the "New Maven Project" by
> default produces yet another directory structure also
> different from the site docs.
>
> What does this all matter, you might ask? Or maybe instead you might say
> "STFU, n00b! F1><3d layouts R 4 l00zers!"
> I know there's no absolutes, but one of the things I sell maven with is the
> ability to allow developers to understand the codebase immediately. Worse
> yet,
> it was noticed almost simultaneously by...you guessed it...one of the people
> I've sold the maven concept to.
>
> So I'm just noting something that might have been beaten to death already,
> but if so then could someone point me to the pertinent threads/blogs/sites
> so I can stop irritiating everyone on the list?
>
> And if it hasn't, then could someone explain the variance and what's
> considered the actual best practice and how soon could we all at least note
> the variance in some documentation?

Re: DJ "Genapp Templates" vs. DJ "Maven site Docs" vs. Paul Oakenfold

Gilles Dodinet
Brett Porter wrote:

>Hi Mykel,
>
>The standard on the website is the one we all agreed on about a year
>ago. Unfortunately, the genapp plugin hasn't caught up yet :)
>
>http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html
>
>I'm not sure about mevenide: you'd need to task on their lists I think.
>
>Cheers,
>Brett

there's already an open issue for that :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEVENIDE-216

-- gd

RE: DJ "Genapp Templates" vs. DJ "Maven site Docs" vs. Paul Oakenfold

Arnaud Héritier
We discussed about this yesterday on the dev list and we'll fix it before maven 1.1 final.

Arnaud