[DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

TLDR; introduce maven.experimental.buildconsumer and push Java requirement
to Java 8

now that Maven 3.6.2 is out for a couple of weeks, it seems like we didn't
face real regressions.
The only one might be tricky is the issue related to Tycho.

However, I think we're ready to push Maven to the next level.

For those actively reading this list, they should recognize the need for
splitting up the pom as it is on the local system versus the pom being
uploaded. Once we truly control this mechanism we can think of
improvements on model 5.0.0 and new fileformats.

I've created and implemented MNG-6656[1]. It also contains a zip with an
example (original, patched, README) to understand what's happening.

In order to make this successful, we need IDEs and CI Servers to
understand and support these changes. The likely need to implement one of
the interfaces[2].
The new interface uses Java8 Functions (and especially SAXEventFactory is
way easier to read+maintain with Java 8). I've tried to keep Maven Java 7
compatible, but that was too hard to do.
So I'd like to use this opportunity to move Maven forward and start
requiring Java 8.

There are some other improvements I'd like to add (those messages will
follow), so this will imply that it will take some time before we do a new
release.

WDTY,
Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6656
[2] https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

On 28.09.19 14:05, Robert Scholte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> TLDR; introduce maven.experimental.buildconsumer and push Java
> requirement to Java 8
>
> now that Maven 3.6.2 is out for a couple of weeks, it seems like we
> didn't face real regressions.
> The only one might be tricky is the issue related to Tycho.

Feedback of Michael Istria states different? Or do I miss a thing?

> However, I think we're ready to push Maven to the next level.

Yes that's very important to go that step...

> For those actively reading this list, they should recognize the need for
> splitting up the pom as it is on the local system versus the pom being
> uploaded. Once we truly control this mechanism we can think of
> improvements on model 5.0.0 and new fileformats.

Yes that will open up several parts we are thinking about for a long
time...(Build vs. Consumer POM).

> I've created and implemented MNG-6656[1]. It also contains a zip with an
> example (original, patched, README) to understand what's happening.
>
> In order to make this successful, we need IDEs and CI Servers to
> understand and support these changes. The likely need to implement one
> of the interfaces[2].

> The new interface uses Java8 Functions (and especially SAXEventFactory
> is way easier to read+maintain with Java 8).

> I've tried to keep Maven
> Java 7 compatible, but that was too hard to do.
This is a waste of time simply ...

> So I'd like to use this opportunity to move Maven forward and start
> requiring Java 8.

It's really time to get up to Java 8 at minimum ....

> There are some other improvements I'd like to add (those messages will
> follow), so this will imply that it will take some time before we do a
> new release.

Great go forward for Maven 3.7.0...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Mickael Istria-2
On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > now that Maven 3.6.2 is out for a couple of weeks, it seems like we
> > didn't face real regressions.
> > The only one might be tricky is the issue related to Tycho.
>
> Feedback of Michael Istria states different? Or do I miss a thing?

I think we should trust the various users who face this issue, and assume
the issue exist until proven otherwise.
This is likely a bug in Tycho and/or Polyglot Maven, and I believe this
reveals that some of the important Tycho tests are not performed against
latest Maven snapshots. I've started a thread on the [hidden email]
mailing-list on htis topic.

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

The versions upgrades of plugins are part of another topic, which are
indeed 3.7.0 candidates.

As said, the Java 8 update is not just about internal code improvements or
changes. Maven will expose new APIs/SPIs that contain Java 8 Functions, so
it must be seen as a requirement to implement the experimental
buildconsumer feature.

Robert

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 14:23:16 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> For the user community these two issues are important:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6169
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6548
> The Tycho project is the user as well.
> The J8 is internal code improvement/change => lower priority than the
> user's priority => release order/priorities/dedicated time spent in
> development.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Cheers
> Tibor17
>
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 2:08 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I would say that fixing the Tycho issue comes first.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 8:04 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > TLDR; introduce maven.experimental.buildconsumer and push Java
>> > requirement
>> > to Java 8
>> >
>> > now that Maven 3.6.2 is out for a couple of weeks, it seems like we
>> > didn't
>> > face real regressions.
>> > The only one might be tricky is the issue related to Tycho.
>> >
>> > However, I think we're ready to push Maven to the next level.
>> >
>> > For those actively reading this list, they should recognize the need
>> for
>> > splitting up the pom as it is on the local system versus the pom being
>> > uploaded. Once we truly control this mechanism we can think of
>> > improvements on model 5.0.0 and new fileformats.
>> >
>> > I've created and implemented MNG-6656[1]. It also contains a zip with
>> an
>> > example (original, patched, README) to understand what's happening.
>> >
>> > In order to make this successful, we need IDEs and CI Servers to
>> > understand and support these changes. The likely need to implement
>> one of
>> > the interfaces[2].
>> > The new interface uses Java8 Functions (and especially
>> SAXEventFactory is
>> > way easier to read+maintain with Java 8). I've tried to keep Maven
>> Java 7
>> > compatible, but that was too hard to do.
>> > So I'd like to use this opportunity to move Maven forward and start
>> > requiring Java 8.
>> >
>> > There are some other improvements I'd like to add (those messages will
>> > follow), so this will imply that it will take some time before we do a
>> > new
>> > release.
>> >
>> > WDTY,
>> > Robert
>> >
>> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6656
>> > [2] https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1

Proposal: maven release lifecycle

Marco Schulz
Hello Maven Dev & Community

Sine a long time I thought, it would be cool to have a well defined process to
prepare a release of an artifact and deploy it on mvn central. Now I got a bit
time to formulate a short proposal of my idea. I published a description of my
thought on my bolg:
https://enrebaja.wordpress.com/2019/10/03/next-generation-maven/

A poll is also created, may to see what other people think about it. Please feel
free to leave also comments, every feedback is welcome.

warm regards & thanks to the maven dev team for the great job they do.
.marco (@ElmarDott)

 Dipl. Inf. Marco Schulz (MSc)

                  Expert for (WEB) Enterprise Applications
                           - worldwide -
      + Project Manager + Consultant + Writer + Speaker + Trainer +

[Contact]_______________________________________________________________________

   WhatsApp :  +52 (1) 221 200 61 37 :: Mexico
   Cell     :  +49 (0) 163 69 18 445 :: Germany
   E-Mail   :  [hidden email]

   Blog     :  https://enRebaja.wordpress.com
   twitter  :  https://twitter.com/ElmarDott
   tumblr   :  https://elmardott.tumblr.com
   facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/elmar.dott

[Services]______________________________________________________________________

    + Individual software development
    + Software Project Management
    + Build-,  Configuration-, & Delivery Management
    + Release Management
    + Business Analysis
    + Software Architecture
    + Process Automation
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and that may not be made public by law or agreement. If you are not the intended
recipient or entity, you are hereby notified that any further dissemination,
distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please contact us immediately
and delete the message from your system.

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

On 03.10.19 14:36, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> Theoretically that would work. In practice though, every project I've
> seen convert to Java 8 rapidly starts adding lambdas that make the
> code more obfuscated for no good reason and soon introduces hard
> dependencies on Java 8, intentionally or otherwise. At a bare minimum,
> a CI environment that runs Java 7 is required.

If people don't understand how to use Java 8 code like Streams, lambdas,
functions etc... I think they should learn how to it the right way...I
admit that lambdas is a hard nut to crack ...

Apart from that Pual has gieven the hint to use toolchains as already
done by Stephen Connolly.. which supports exactly what is needed ..

Run your Build (Maven) on JDK 8 where as your code will run on Java 7
(build/test)..

So I don't see here a real issue to lift the minimum for Maven to JDK
8... (Furthermore the request of Robert Scholte)..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:25 AM Paul Hammant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Would jdk 8 for maven itself and a target of 7 for the compiler (etc) for
>> maven-using projects be ok?
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Strong -1 on Java 8 as the minimum version. Google Cloud Platform has
>>> lots of products and customers that still require Java 7. If Maven
>>> requires Java 8, we'd have to stick to the latest of whichever release
>>> does support Java 7 for at least a year and I'm guessing longer.

>>> requirement

>>> didn't

>>> new

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Tibor Digana
This is not very serious discussion since we saw users on our mailing list
who said that he is using Java 1.6 compiler and JDK7 in Maven.
Serious discussion would uncover pros/cons and impact analysis.

I would have a problem with Java 1.8 in target and source code but I have
problem that we excluded our users from the VOTE.
Regarding Java 1.7 we clearly uncovered the migration plan, versions of
plugins, core etc. Here nothing like that exists - only that somebody
created a Jira ticket.

Technically I would be interested if somebody could explain what NEW
Security API is in Java 1.8 and performance impact of Streams API. That's
the impact in the source code.
Somebody has other questions too.
Then we can write Wiki as well as rules, conditions and plan.

Cheers
Tibor17

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:55 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I've created and implemented MNG-6656[1]. It also contains a zip with an
> >> example (original, patched, README) to understand what's happening.
> >>
> >> In order to make this successful, we need IDEs and CI Servers to
> >> understand and support these changes. The likely need to implement one
> of
> >> the interfaces[2].
> >> The new interface uses Java8 Functions (and especially SAXEventFactory
> is
> >> way easier to read+maintain with Java 8). I've tried to keep Maven Java
> 7
> >> compatible, but that was too hard to do.
> >> So I'd like to use this opportunity to move Maven forward and start
> >> requiring Java 8.
> >>
> >> There are some other improvements I'd like to add (those messages will
> >> follow), so this will imply that it will take some time before we do a

Gary Gregory-2
Java 8 as a min is fine by me FWIW.

Gary

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry my important typo " I would have a problem with Java 1.8 ".
> Correction " I would NOT have a problem with Java 1.8 "
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is not very serious discussion since we saw users on our mailing
> list
> > who said that he is using Java 1.6 compiler and JDK7 in Maven.
> > Serious discussion would uncover pros/cons and impact analysis.
> >
> > I would have a problem with Java 1.8 in target and source code but I have
> > problem that we excluded our users from the VOTE.
> > Regarding Java 1.7 we clearly uncovered the migration plan, versions of
> > plugins, core etc. Here nothing like that exists - only that somebody
> > created a Jira ticket.
> >
> > Technically I would be interested if somebody could explain what NEW
> > Security API is in Java 1.8 and performance impact of Streams API. That's
> > the impact in the source code.
> > Somebody has other questions too.
> > Then we can write Wiki as well as rules, conditions and plan.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tibor17
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:55 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> Hm.. first Java 7 is out for eight years now (2011) (End of live) and
> >> has no public updates for security/bug fixes etc. since 2015
> >>
> >> Furthermore Java 8 is out for five years (2014) so to be honest I
> >> wouldn't trust an environment which is not upgrading etc. in particular
> >> in a clould environment...
> >>
> >> Why hadn't started Google to update their environment over the time to
> >> JDK 8 etc. (I think they have much more resources than anyone).
> >>

> >> One more thing is:
> >>   There is a difference between running Maven to build for example
> >>   with JDK 8 and running your resulting artifacts (see toolchain comment
> >>   from Stephen Connolly..
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >>

> >> [1]:
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html

> >> requirement

> >> didn't

> >> for
> being

> >> an

> one
> >> of
> SAXEventFactory
> >> is
> >> Java 7

> will
> >> new

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Anders Hammar
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 03/10/2019 à 16:54, Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>
> > Hm.. first Java 7 is out for eight years now (2011) (End of live) and
> > has no public updates for security/bug fixes etc. since 2015
>
> RedHat still maintains OpenJDK 7 until June 2020 [1].

And IBM will support Java 7 (on WAS) until July 2022 [1].

Having said that, I'm fine with bumping to Java 8 in Maven core now. One
reason for doing that could be used (external) libraries that start to
require Java 8 (maybe more often i plugins than in core, haven't checked).
I'm not saying that we should start to rewrite everything, but just setting
the baseline saying that new code may use new APIs, language features, etc.

/Anders

[1]
https://www.ibm.com/cloud/blog/websphere-application-server-extends-java-se-7-support

> Emmanuel Bourg
>
> [1]
> https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013#OpenJDK_Lifecycle_Dates_and_RHEL_versions

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

stephenconnolly
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 09:48, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry Tibor, but I'm not going to do this.
>
> We've said that simply changing source/target(/release) to 1.8 is not a
> good reason to require Java 8.
> Now with the changes as mentioned in this thread (new APIs based on Java
> Functions) we finally have this good reason.
>
> I'm not going to explain why the move to Java 8 is important. I'm only
> interested in good arguments why to stay on Java 7 and so far I haven't
> seen any.
> People must understand that we're talking about the Java Runtime that
> Maven requires. There's a clear separation between Mavens runtime and the
> JDK. If you want to compile your code with an earlier JDK, that's already
> possible for a long time (but I guess most people simply use the Maven
> Runtime as their JDK).
>
> For those that argue that they must stay on Java 7 for their own projects
> must also keep in mind that with such statement they block the evolution
> of Maven for the whole Java community.
>
> I only saw a negative vote in relation with the Google Cloud Platform.
> Let
> this be a motivation for them to move forward too. Google should have
> enough resources to come up with a solution, either move to Java 8,
> maintain a backported version of Maven or maybe there are other solutions.
>
> Based on the responses on this thread I will continue with the proposed
> changed. A first PR has already been reviewed, and there are still a
> couple of TODO's I need to work on and I'll inform related tools
> regarding
> these changes.

+1

> I started the thread with one other question: do we need a 3.6.3
> regression release?

+1 to asking the question. Unclear to me if there is a need, but we should
certainly ask it especially if 3.7.0 will involve a big change in terms of
separation of the build pom from the consumer pom

The only thing I noticed are confirmations that there are regressions, but

> they are related to third party plugins/extensions/tools. Hopefully they
> can help analyze to help their own product.
> Based on that I'll put my focus fully Maven 3.7.0.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 20:22:06 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
>
> > The topic related to TLS is only related to runtime, means JDK, which is
> > under the control of the particular user or CI.
> > I guess the user can easily find the answer:
> >
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50824789/why-am-i-getting-received-fatal-alert-protocol-version-or-peer-not-authentic
> >
> > The thing is that we need to specify:
> > + advantages of Java 1.8 in code (Lambda, brief code, maybe)
> > + disadvantages of Java 1.8 in code (Streams performance when/how/what
> > approach???)
> >
> > Write notices for developers on the internal Wiki:
> > + toolchains
> > + limitations and solutions for disadvantages
> > + conditions when and how to migrate from J7 to J8
> >
> > and then we should Vote for J8.
> >
> > And there are users who is has J6 and J7 and they may require us to
> > maintain the old version 3.6.x.
> > What to do in this case?
> > Is the toolchain enough? Usually it is in ordinal projects!
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> >> mailing

> >> versions of
> >> somebody

> having

> (may
> >> be
> >> >

> >> Also, to my mind, unless the plugin specifically needs features in Maven
> >> 3.7.0 there is added reason for the plugin to stay on JDK7 until it
> >> bumps
> >> the core version of Maven it depends on (or it finds a use-case
> >> requiring
> >> Java 8)
> >>
> >> Finally, upgrading to Java 8 is basically a must have for easier TLS
> >> certificate validation as the JDK7 distributions do not all have good
> [...]

Re: Proposal: maven release lifecycle

Tibor Digana
I have never seen a documentation for ship-maven-plugin.
It could be a good motivation for us.

I can say for myself, my requirements are to the new lifecycle and plugin
goal release:release:
1. executes phases from clean to deploy
2. installation of "release" artifacts is skipped (snapshots are not
skipped)
3. unit and integration tests are executed only once and not two times

Tagging and SCM checkout are just fine.

Second lifecycle for release without scm checkout and deployment. The test
would be executed once, tagging and both commit messages are the must.

WDYT? How you would like to see the release lifecysle?
Notice that we should not say how the project should look like in the
customer. The customer may have reasons to use his project structures as
they are and the architecture too. So we should NOT define these structures!