Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Stephan Wissel
Hi there,

We are using Markdown in our Maven generated site
<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/index.html>. Works like
a charm. AFAIK the plugin uses Flexmark
<https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java> under the hood, which supports
the Admonition
extensions
<https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/>.

We would like to use them too, the infoboxes are quite helpful for
documentation. Our site configuration in the pom.xml looks like this:

<plugin>

How could we configure it to recognise the additional markdown?

Also can be found here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-advanced-markdown

Create a nice day!
Stephan H. Wissel

Phone: +65 96673269
Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <http://twitter.com/notessensei>
LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
<https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Hervé BOUTEMY
Hi Stefan,

The code for Markdown parsing and extensions activation is in Doxia Markdown module:
https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/xref/org/apache/maven/doxia/module/markdown/MarkdownParser.html#L133

I don't really reviewed how extensions are really activated, but having now a quick look at this admonition one, I see that flexmark-java explains some prerequisites that have not been integrated in Doxia:
https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java/wiki/Extensions#admonition

Then I suppose from the code that:
1. adding admonition markup will create some html
2. but the rendering will not be ok because prerequisites have not been integrated
3. and I fear that the issue will be more complex than these prerequisites

Then it's a full topic to investigate, create samples to test, look at current result, then debug ot see what improvements are necessary

I personnally don't have time to work on this, but if a group start working on this topic, I'd be happy to help

Le vendredi 3 avril 2020, 16:31:49 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> We are using Markdown in our Maven generated site
> <http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/index.html>. Works like
> a charm. AFAIK the plugin uses Flexmark
> <https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java> under the hood, which supports
> the Admonition
> extensions
> <https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/>.
>
> We would like to use them too, the infoboxes are quite helpful for
> documentation. Our site configuration in the pom.xml looks like this:
>
> <plugin>
>     <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>     <artifactId>maven-site-plugin</artifactId>
>
> How could we configure it to recognise the additional markdown?
>
> Also can be found here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-adv
> anced-markdown
>
> Create a nice day!
> Stephan H. Wissel
>
> Phone: +65 96673269
> Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Stephan Wissel
Hi Hervé,

thank you for your reply, appreciate your swift response.
It seems to be a little more complex ;-) , but started easy (looked like 1
line and 1 import)

Extensions are loaded like line 145 in the MarkdownParser.class:
extensions.add(
AdminitionExtension.create() );

I did a quick check on CSS/JS. When I put them in /src/site/resources/css
and /src/site/resources/js, they get copied into the target site.
Then I added  <head><![CDATA[<script src="./js/site.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>]]> </head>
to the site.xml - which also worked. So the prerequites can be handled in
the site.xml without the need to change any code.

However I wouldn't see just to load that one extra plugin always, more like
make it configurable. I see two approaches:
- read the name of the plugins from a config setting and leave it to the
user - with all consequences - which one they specify
- pick one (for starters) and have a config true/false flag whether to load
it (default false)

The first might be the more flexible solution, but could add a can of
(support) worms.

What do you think?

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 1:55 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> The code for Markdown parsing and extensions activation is in Doxia
> Markdown module:
>
> https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/xref/org/apache/maven/doxia/module/markdown/MarkdownParser.html#L133
>
> I don't really reviewed how extensions are really activated, but having
> now a quick look at this admonition one, I see that flexmark-java explains
> some prerequisites that have not been integrated in Doxia:
> https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java/wiki/Extensions#admonition
>
> Then I suppose from the code that:
> 1. adding admonition markup will create some html
> 2. but the rendering will not be ok because prerequisites have not been
> integrated
> 3. and I fear that the issue will be more complex than these prerequisites
>
> Then it's a full topic to investigate, create samples to test, look at
> current result, then debug ot see what improvements are necessary
>
> I personnally don't have time to work on this, but if a group start
> working on this topic, I'd be happy to help
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le vendredi 3 avril 2020, 16:31:49 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We are using Markdown in our Maven generated site
> > <http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/index.html>. Works
> like
> > a charm. AFAIK the plugin uses Flexmark
> > <https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java> under the hood, which supports
> > the Admonition
> > extensions
> > <https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/>.
> >
> > We would like to use them too, the infoboxes are quite helpful for
> > documentation. Our site configuration in the pom.xml looks like this:
> >
> > <plugin>
> >     <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> >     <artifactId>maven-site-plugin</artifactId>
> >
> > How could we configure it to recognise the additional markdown?
> >
> > Also can be found here:
> >
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-adv
> > anced-markdown
> >
> > Create a nice day!
> > Stephan H. Wissel
> >
> > Phone: +65 96673269
> > Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <
> http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> > LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> > <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Hervé BOUTEMY
nice work: dos it mean that you managed to have the rendering as expected?
Can you create a little demo and share?

On making the extension configurable and easy to use, it will be complex from a
Maven Site Plugin perspective: its relationship with Doxia (the core rendering
engine), Doxia Markdown Module (the markdown parser for Doxia), Doxia
Sitetools and Doxia Skins will bring some challenges

That's why we'll need ot go step by step: sharing a first result with a lot of
manual config first, then looking on improvement to replace manual config with
nice parameters

I would really love to add such extensions, I'll really need your help

Le vendredi 3 avril 2020, 21:56:41 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :

> [...]
> > >
> > > We would like to use them too, the infoboxes are quite helpful for
> > > documentation. Our site configuration in the pom.xml looks like this:
> > >
> > > <plugin>
> > >
> > >     <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> > >     <artifactId>maven-site-plugin</artifactId>
> > >
> > > How could we configure it to recognise the additional markdown?
> >
> > > Also can be found here:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a
> > dv>
> > > anced-markdown
> > >
> > > Create a nice day!
> > > Stephan H. Wissel
> > >
> > > Phone: +65 96673269
> > > Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <
> >
> > http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> >
> > > LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> > > <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

I did a flexmark standalone test, happy to try to integrate that.
I presume I would define my local moxia modification (after mvn clean
install) as a site plugin dependency?
Along those lines:

   <plugin>
<version>${maven.site.plugin.version}</version>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<artifactId>doxia-module-markdown</artifactId>
<version>1.9.1-stw</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</plugin>

Would that work for providing a demo?

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:11 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > integrated
> > > 3. and I fear that the issue will be more complex than these
> prerequisites
> > >
> > > Then it's a full topic to investigate, create samples to test, look at
> > > current result, then debug ot see what improvements are necessary
> > >
> > > I personnally don't have time to work on this, but if a group start
> > > working on this topic, I'd be happy to help
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> Works
> > >
> > > like

> supports
> >.

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a
> > > dv>

> > > http://twitter.com/notessensei>

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

you can create a GitHub repository, or a collection of repositories
whatever is necessary

Le dimanche 5 avril 2020, 18:38:50 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :

> [...]
> >
> > > it (default false)
> > >
> > > The first might be the more flexible solution, but could add a can of
> > > (support) worms.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Create a nice day!
> > > Stephan H. Wissel
> > >
> > > Phone: +65 96673269
> > > Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <
> >
> > http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> >
> > > LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> > > <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

> > https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/x

> > explains

> > prerequisites

> > Works

> > supports

> > >.

> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Sorry for not being clear. The GitHub part is easy.
What I'm not sure about is how I can test my modification in the context of
the site plugin.
Would defining my markdown renderer as dependency of the site plugin
overwrite the build in renderer or do I have to modify the source of the
site plugin too?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:16 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> like
> > >
> > > 1

> handled

> more
> > >
> > > like

> the
> > >
> > > load

> > > http://twitter.com/notessensei>

> https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/x

> > > explains

> > > prerequisites

> look at

> > > Works

> > > supports

> https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/

> for

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

don't hesitate to share every single concrete step, even the flexmark
standalone test: this will ease working together, ensuring we understand each
other

even before updating doxia-module-markdown with an updated version, there is a
test with a Maven site to be done with the normal Doxia, to show the result
(perhaps there is a partial failure only): this will be interesting to compare
the result against the flexmark standalone test.

then once we'll be at updating doxia-module-markdown, yes, you can override
the version used by the maven-site-plugin by setting dependencies in plugin
definition

Le lundi 6 avril 2020, 07:12:14 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :

> Sorry for not being clear. The GitHub part is easy.
> What I'm not sure about is how I can test my modification in the context of
> the site plugin.
> Would defining my markdown renderer as dependency of the site plugin
> overwrite the build in renderer or do I have to modify the source of the
> site plugin too?
>
> Create a nice day!
> Stephan H. Wissel
>
> Phone: +65 96673269
> Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:16 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > you can create a GitHub repository, or a collection of repositories
> > whatever is necessary
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le dimanche 5 avril 2020, 18:38:50 CEST Stephan Wissel a écrit :
> > > I did a flexmark standalone test, happy to try to integrate that.
> > > I presume I would define my local moxia modification (after mvn clean
> > > install) as a site plugin dependency?
> > >
> > > Along those lines:
> > >    <plugin>
> > >
> > > <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> > > <artifactId>maven-site-plugin</artifactId>
> > > <version>${maven.site.plugin.version}</version>
> > > <dependencies>
> > > <dependency>
> > > <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> > > <artifactId>doxia-module-markdown</artifactId>
> > > <version>1.9.1-stw</version>
> > > </dependency>
> > > </dependencies>
> > > </plugin>
> > >
> > > Would that work for providing a demo?
> > >
> > > Create a nice day!
> > > Stephan H. Wissel
> > >
> > > Phone: +65 96673269
> > > Blog <https://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <
> >
> > http://twitter.com/notessensei>
> >
> > > LinkedIn <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
> > > <https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel>

> > expected?

> > complex

> > config

> > like

> > handled

> > more

> > the

> > https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/x

> > look at

> > https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/

> > for

> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Stephan Wissel
Hello Hervé,

I created a Flexmark sample that is as close as possible to the way
Flexmark is used in Doxia:
https://github.com/Stwissel/maven-site-extension/tree/master/simple-flexmark-example
The result can be seen here:
https://projectcastle.io/sample.html
(I copied a site-plugin generated page and just removed the body part and
replace it with the markdown conversion result)

As it seems, to get Adminition working in the rendering, you need to add a
single line (and the import/dependency of course)
https://github.com/Stwissel/maven-site-extension/blob/master/simple-flexmark-example/src/main/java/com/notessensei/demo/Demo1.java#L78

Would you need more samples?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/x
> > >

> ref/org/apache/maven/doxia/module/markdown/MarkdownParser.html#L13

> but
> flexmark-java

> https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java/wiki/Extensions#admonition

> not

> > > look at

> necessary

> :

> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/index.html>.

> which

> > > https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/extensions/admonition/

> helpful
> > >
> > > for

> like

> markdown?

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

Did you have a chance to look at this?

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:10 AM Stephan Wissel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> always,

>> it to

>> whether

>> can

>> [hidden email]>

>> https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/x
>> > >

>> ref/org/apache/maven/doxia/module/markdown/MarkdownParser.html#L13

>> but
>> flexmark-java

>> https://github.com/vsch/flexmark-java/wiki/Extensions#admonition

>> have not

>> necessary

>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/index.html>.

>> which

>> helpful

>> like

>> markdown?

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61001709/maven-site-generation-using-a

Re: Customizing the maven-site-plugin Markdown renderer?

sorry, I had a look and wanted to take time to have a minimal Maven site generation to compare with your direct test: I just sent you a PR

your test is great to show the objective
my addition shows the current effective result = admonition markup is not detected, rendered as-is
I'm quite suprised that the markup is not detected, because flexmark-ext-amonition is a Doxia Markdown dependency:
https://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/doxia-modules/doxia-module-markdown/dependencies.html

I did not expect that the html would be rendered as wanted, but at least that the markup would have been detected and rendered in some html form

seems it's time to extend the sample to add a customised doxia-module-markdown :)