Core plugins, milestone versions

Antoine Mottier
Hello,

While looking at https://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html I
realized that many core plugin versions are actually milestone version
(e.g. deploy: 3.0.0-M1).

It seems that some of them are release quite a long time ago (e.g.
deploy: 2018-09-23). I was wondering what is the recommendation:
should I use the latest version even if it is a milestone version? Or
should I use the latest "stable" version (e.g. 2.8.2 for deploy plugin)?

Thanks.

--
Antoine Mottier

Re: Core plugins, milestone versions

Benjamin Marwell-2
Hi Antoine,

That's probably a typical YMMV question.
From my experience with surefire, I'd say rather stick with the 2.x
versions as long as you don't need an explicit feature of the 3.x Milestone
version.
If something doesn't work or is missing, open up a ticket or ask on this
list.

If you find a milestone version good enough, just post it here and ask for
a release. We did that with the jpackage plugin and might do this with
others as well.

- Ben

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021, 18:39 Antoine Mottier, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While looking at https://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html I
> realized that many core plugin versions are actually milestone version
> (e.g. deploy: 3.0.0-M1).
>
> It seems that some of them are release quite a long time ago (e.g.
> deploy: 2018-09-23). I was wondering what is the recommendation:
> should I use the latest version even if it is a milestone version? Or
> should I use the latest "stable" version (e.g. 2.8.2 for deploy plugin)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Antoine Mottier

Re: Core plugins, milestone versions

Tibor Digana
Milestone means "work in progress" and if you are continuously breaking
backwards compatibility, you can do it in multiple milestones. It does not
make sense to release multiple release versions because it's risky for
users. This email has convinced me to publish a pull request with changes
mandatory for a milestone and everybody is welcome to participate.
Cheers
Tibor