Copy-dependencies goal error

123

Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo

I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files

from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager

to a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied

from each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.

To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven

copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.

When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and

CXF Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When,

however we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process

fails.

The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus

repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.

What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these

artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the

artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!

I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our

previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to

agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.

I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error

message.

Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Tarullo

Contractor (Engility Corp)

Enterprise Architect

NSRR System Administrator

FAA WJH Technical Center

(609)485-5294

Error.txt (1K) Download Attachment
super-pom-test-pom.xml (12K) Download Attachment
super-pom-test-settings.xml (1K) Download Attachment

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

mgainty
Michael-
out of curiosity which stax-ex versions are located at
C:\Users\Michael CTR Tarullo.FAA\.m2\super-pom-test-repository-62\org\jvnet\staxex\stax-ex

concerning version <camel.version>2.15.1.redhat-620133</camel.version>

if you want to implement a specific "version rule" then you'll need to implement
 a version rule in <rulesUri>rule-set.xml</rulesUri>
 for artifactId versions-maven-plugin plugin
http://www.mojohaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/version-rules.html

hth,
Martin

Re: Copy-dependencies goal error

Wayne Fay
What version of Maven was this process originally built to run against?

Can you roll (Maven) back to that version and try again, to confirm it
still works as it did originally? If it does not work, then you know
it is not Maven but rather another tool in the mix like Nexus etc.

Wayne

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files
>
> from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager
>
> to a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied
>
> from each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.
>

> To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven
>
> copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.
>

> When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and
>
> CXF Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When,
>
> however we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process
>
> fails.
>

> The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus
>
> repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.
>

> What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these
>
> artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the
>
> artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!
>

> I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our
>
> previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to
>
> agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.
>

> I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error
>
> message.
>

> Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> Michael Tarullo
>
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
>
> Enterprise Architect
>
> NSRR System Administrator
>
> FAA WJH Technical Center
>
> (609)485-5294

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
Wayne,

Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to mention in my original post that CURRENTLY I'm using Maven v3.1.1.

But your question is a good one, and something I didn't even consider and therefore try to test.  I should be able to revert back to and older version of Maven provided 1) I know what version to revert to (most of the people that devised this process over 5 years ago are not around) and 2) the older version is still available (this originated about 5 years ago)!!!

I'll reply back to my original post when/if I find something.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

What version of Maven was this process originally built to run against?

Can you roll (Maven) back to that version and try again, to confirm it still works as it did originally? If it does not work, then you know it is not Maven but rather another tool in the mix like Nexus etc.

Wayne

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files
>
> from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager
>
> to a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied
>
> from each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.
>

> To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven
>
> copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.
>

> When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and
>
> CXF Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When,
>
> however we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process
>
> fails.
>

> The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus
>
> repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.
>

> What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these
>
> artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the
>
> artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!
>

> I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our
>
> previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to
>
> agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.
>

> I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error
>
> message.
>

> Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> Michael Tarullo
>
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
>
> Enterprise Architect
>
> NSRR System Administrator
>
> FAA WJH Technical Center
>
> (609)485-5294

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
Wayne,

A few questions before I begin to investigates as per your recommendation.

Are you a committer or just a user?

I understand your request to try an older release (and I have every intention of doing just that) but I'm a bit skeptical.  Here's why.  This is simply a file copy operation that works fine on other Fuse components (i.e. ActiveMQ and CXF).  Why would a copy operation (i.e. goal) behave any differently simply because the files it is copying are different?

That's what I'm struggling with right now!!!

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

What version of Maven was this process originally built to run against?

Can you roll (Maven) back to that version and try again, to confirm it still works as it did originally? If it does not work, then you know it is not Maven but rather another tool in the mix like Nexus etc.

Wayne

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files
>
> from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager
>
> to a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied
>
> from each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.
>

> To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven
>
> copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.
>

> When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and
>
> CXF Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When,
>
> however we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process
>
> fails.
>

> The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus
>
> repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.
>

> What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these
>
> artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the
>
> artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!
>

> I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our
>
> previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to
>
> agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.
>

> I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error
>
> message.
>

> Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> Michael Tarullo
>
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
>
> Enterprise Architect
>
> NSRR System Administrator
>
> FAA WJH Technical Center
>
> (609)485-5294

Re: Copy-dependencies goal error

Bernd Eckenfels
Copy Dependencies is not a simple file copy operation, it has to resolve
dependencies, which by definition has to look at meta data and POMs. If you
want to use a simple file copy a url download would be easier I guess :)

> Wayne,
>
> A few questions before I begin to investigates as per your recommendation.
>
> Are you a committer or just a user?
>
> I understand your request to try an older release (and I have every
> intention of doing just that) but I'm a bit skeptical.  Here's why.  This
> is simply a file copy operation that works fine on other Fuse components
> (i.e. ActiveMQ and CXF).  Why would a copy operation (i.e. goal) behave any
> differently simply because the files it is copying are different?
>
> That's what I'm struggling with right now!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

So, the original author of this POM may not have used the correct goal to achieve the desired outcome.

Is that in effect what you are saying?

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

Copy Dependencies is not a simple file copy operation, it has to resolve dependencies, which by definition has to look at meta data and POMs. If you want to use a simple file copy a url download would be easier I guess :)

> Wayne,
>
> A few questions before I begin to investigates as per your recommendation.
>
> Are you a committer or just a user?
>
> I understand your request to try an older release (and I have every
> intention of doing just that) but I'm a bit skeptical.  Here's why.
> This is simply a file copy operation that works fine on other Fuse
> components (i.e. ActiveMQ and CXF).  Why would a copy operation (i.e.
> goal) behave any differently simply because the files it is copying are different?
>
> That's what I'm struggling with right now!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

Looking at the error message again, I agree there seems to be an issue
with this dependency:

        Failed to read artifact descriptor for
org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex:jar:RELEASE:
        Failed to resolve version for org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex:jar:RELEASE:
        Could not find metadata org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex/maven-metadata.xml
          in local (C:\Users\Michael CTR
Tarullo.FAA\.m2\super-pom-test-repository-62)

I would spend some effort looking into that artifact and sorting out
why there seems to be no pom file for it, then most likely you can
move forward with the rest.

Wayne

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> A few questions before I begin to investigates as per your recommendation.
>
> Are you a committer or just a user?
>
> I understand your request to try an older release (and I have every intention of doing just that) but I'm a bit skeptical.  Here's why.  This is simply a file copy operation that works fine on other Fuse components (i.e. ActiveMQ and CXF).  Why would a copy operation (i.e. goal) behave any differently simply because the files it is copying are different?
>
> That's what I'm struggling with right now!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

Jörg Schaible-4
You asked the same question before and I gave you the advice to either try
latest Maven version or 3.0.5, because 3.1.1. is bogus. You never answered.

[hidden email] wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files
> from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager
> to a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied
> from each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.
>
> To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven
> copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.
>
> When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and
> CXF Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When,
> however we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process
> fails.
>
> The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus
> repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.
>
> What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these
> artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the
> artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!
>
> I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our
> previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to
> agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.
>
> I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error
> message.
>
> Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
Pardon me for not responding.

But your reply here is ample explanation for why I did not reply.

The "attitude" I detect from this reply is that explanation.

Is "bogus" some new software engineering term I am not familiar with, or just the language used by someone dabbling in software because it's "cool".  If it's the later please reserve your reply for another forum.

Now, please tell me how version 3.0.5 is the latest release when there is a 3.1.1?  If you can't get this right, how I am supposed to take your reply seriously?

Just this kind of thing is what aggravates me about the open source approach to software development, particularly getting help with it!!!

Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

[hidden email] wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a "legacy" POM that copies ZIP files
> from the Red Hat JBoss Fuse distro in our Nexus repository manager to
> a location on a local worstation.  Several ZIP files are copied from
> each of the following Fuse components, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF.
>
> To perform the copy operation the legacy POM is using the Maven
> copy-dependencies goal or the maven-dependency-plugin.
>
> When this project is executed by Maven for just the ActiveMQ and CXF
> Fuse components the designated files are copied fine.  When, however
> we execute the project to copy the Camel files, the process fails.
>
> The directory for the failing artifacts is present in our Nexus
> repository manager, and is populated with several artifacts.
>
> What I do not understand is why Maven is even looking for these
> artifacts for a simple copy operation?  It appears to me that the
> artifacts causing the problem have nothing to do with the copy goal!
>
> I have posted this problem with Red Hat, who originally helpd our
> previous personnel develop this POM.  They believe, and I tend to
> agree 100%, that this is a Maven problem.
>
> I have attached our settings.xml, pom.xml and the text of the error
> message.
>
> Can someone please explain why this is happening and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
My apology about part of this reply.  I did not understand part of your suggestion.

I thought you were saying 3.0.5 is the latest release.

That said, I don't see how using the latest release or an older release makes any difference.

I have a requirement to use 3.1.1 from a COTS product vendor, so that is probably not an option.  And "bogus" is just not a good enough explanation for me.  What specifically is wrong with what I am doing that does not work in this release?

Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

On 10/5/15 6:07 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> latest Maven version or 3.0.5,

 > because 3.1.1. is bogus.

Can you tell me in which way 3.1.1 is bogus ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
That is exactly what I would like to know!!!

Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

On 10/5/15 6:07 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> latest Maven version or 3.0.5,

 > because 3.1.1. is bogus.

Can you tell me in which way 3.1.1 is bogus ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Jörg Schaible
Hi Michael,

[hidden email] wrote:

> My apology about part of this reply.  I did not understand part of your
> suggestion.
>
> I thought you were saying 3.0.5 is the latest release.
>
> That said, I don't see how using the latest release or an older release
> makes any difference.
>
> I have a requirement to use 3.1.1 from a COTS product vendor, so that is
> probably not an option.  And "bogus" is just not a good enough explanation
> for me.  What specifically is wrong with what I am doing that does not
> work in this release?

I just cite my original mail:

> IIRC you have problems with 3.1.x when using dependencies with import
> scope, because it ignores then your settings then for transitive
> deps declaring their own repository in the POM.

AFAICS, you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies declared with
scope "import"".

Cheers,
Jörg

RE: Copy-dependencies goal error

Michael.CTR.Tarullo
What is "import scope"?

I don't see anything in either my settings.xml or pom.xml that explicitly declares this.  (And I call this my POM, but I inherited it from someone else).

Can you explain " you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies declared with scope "import""?

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

> My apology about part of this reply.  I did not understand part of
> your suggestion.
>
> I thought you were saying 3.0.5 is the latest release.
>
> That said, I don't see how using the latest release or an older
> release makes any difference.
>
> I have a requirement to use 3.1.1 from a COTS product vendor, so that
> is probably not an option.  And "bogus" is just not a good enough
> explanation for me.  What specifically is wrong with what I am doing
> that does not work in this release?

I just cite my original mail:

> IIRC you have problems with 3.1.x when using dependencies with import
> scope, because it ignores then your settings then for transitive deps
> declaring their own repository in the POM.

AFAICS, you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies declared with scope "import"".

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Copy-dependencies goal error

Curtis Rueden
Hi Michael,

https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Importing_Dependencies

> I don't see anything in either my settings.xml or pom.xml that
> explicitly declares this.

Agreed -- I don't see any uses of import scope in the POM attachment you
sent.

Regards,
Curtis

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is "import scope"?
>
> I don't see anything in either my settings.xml or pom.xml that explicitly
> declares this.  (And I call this my POM, but I inherited it from someone
> else).
>
> Can you explain " you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies
> declared with scope "import""?
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

Thank you Curtis.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

> Can you explain " you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies
> declared with scope "import""?

https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Importing_Dependencies

> I don't see anything in either my settings.xml or pom.xml that
> explicitly declares this.

Agreed -- I don't see any uses of import scope in the POM attachment you sent.

Regards,
Curtis

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is "import scope"?
>
> I don't see anything in either my settings.xml or pom.xml that
> explicitly declares this.  (And I call this my POM, but I inherited it
> from someone else).
>
> Can you explain " you are using dependencyManagement with dependencies
> declared with scope "import""?
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

I have determined, to the best of my ability, that the version of Maven used to execute this POM was probably about 2.2.1.  It could have been an earlier version but not a later.

Now I was able to obtain this version from the Maven archives but one question I have is what POM model version was in effect back then?  The current version is 4.0.0.  I suspect it was not this.  How could I find out?

Another problem I'm having with this is even if I do get it to run with this version, it really is not a option to use this version going forward, and I'm not sure how the process running under this version is indicative of a problem with Nexus.

So before I even try this, I going to try a more current release of Maven first, and also an older version, but not this much older!!!

Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

Looking at the error message again, I agree there seems to be an issue with this dependency:

        Failed to read artifact descriptor for
org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex:jar:RELEASE:
        Failed to resolve version for org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex:jar:RELEASE:
        Could not find metadata org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex/maven-metadata.xml
          in local (C:\Users\Michael CTR
Tarullo.FAA\.m2\super-pom-test-repository-62)

I would spend some effort looking into that artifact and sorting out why there seems to be no pom file for it, then most likely you can move forward with the rest.

Wayne

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> A few questions before I begin to investigates as per your recommendation.
>
> Are you a committer or just a user?
>
> I understand your request to try an older release (and I have every intention of doing just that) but I'm a bit skeptical.  Here's why.  This is simply a file copy operation that works fine on other Fuse components (i.e. ActiveMQ and CXF).  Why would a copy operation (i.e. goal) behave any differently simply because the files it is copying are different?
>
> That's what I'm struggling with right now!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

Hello,

I am saying that copy-dependencies is a often used method to download
some or all dependencies of a projects. It depends on a consistent
repository and POM model.

So it is not "only a copy which does not look at the content" as you
started, and therefore the "it is clearly a plugin or maven problem"
might not be true.

Gruss
Bernd

 Am Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:09:49 +0000 schrieb
<[hidden email]>:

> So, the original author of this POM may not have used the correct
> goal to achieve the desired outcome.
>
> Is that in effect what you are saying?
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

What do you mean by a consistent repository and POM model?

If you mean that the POM must be declaring files to copy that are in the repository, that is stating the obvious.

And in this case, the POM is doing exactly that.  The files I am asking to be copied from the repository are actually in the repository.  The problem is that I am getting errors for files I did not ask to be copied.

Did you look at the POM file I attached and compare it to the error messages also attached?

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

<[hidden email]>:

> So, the original author of this POM may not have used the correct goal
> to achieve the desired outcome.
>
> Is that in effect what you are saying?
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)