Convoluted jiras

Benson Margulies
Since my lame attempt at humor on the last thread led to some
confusion, I'll keep this relatively straight.

Consider, if you please, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2258.

For one thing, this report is marked as 'superceded by' another, but
it's still open. What's that mean?

For another, it wends it ways through various topics, ending up with a
supposition that the OP's original problem might have, in fact, been a
result of a more-or-less by design behavior. At least, a behavior with
the possibility of causing havoc if lightly changed.

Personally, I don't find this sort of thing helpful. I would give it
the same treatment as discussed in the other thread. Either there's a
concrete unwanted behavior, with a test case, or not. If there is, we
should endeavor to resolve it in a comprehensible way.

Other opinions?

Re: Convoluted jiras

brettporter
Administrator

On 20/06/2011, at 5:30 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> Since my lame attempt at humor on the last thread led to some
> confusion, I'll keep this relatively straight.
>
> Consider, if you please, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2258.
>
> For one thing, this report is marked as 'superceded by' another, but
> it's still open. What's that mean?

That's not very helpful. I'd remove that link, or maybe make it "related".

> For another, it wends it ways through various topics, ending up with a
> supposition that the OP's original problem might have, in fact, been a
> result of a more-or-less by design behavior. At least, a behavior with
> the possibility of causing havoc if lightly changed.
>
> Personally, I don't find this sort of thing helpful. I would give it
> the same treatment as discussed in the other thread. Either there's a
> concrete unwanted behavior, with a test case, or not. If there is, we
> should endeavor to resolve it in a comprehensible way.
>
> Other opinions?

I agree with the current state - it should stay closed, and anyone that wants to report a different case can create a new issue linking back to that one.

If I catch a comment on a closed issue I generally tell them to start a new one. I'll only reopen if there hasn't been a release and it can be reclosed in a reasonable time (otherwise you mess up historical release notes).

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
[hidden email]

Re: Convoluted jiras

Benson Margulies
It's closed because I, myself, closed it today :-)