Consumer pom, use a System property or a pom property ?

Consumer pom, use a System property or a pom property ?

Enrico Olivelli
Hello,
Robert sent out a (great) patch than enables experimental support for the
consumer pom.

This new way of working is enabled by a system property
-Dmaven.experimental.....

I would like to use this feature when Maven 3.7.0 is out, but it won't be
possible to use such a feature with a system property, as such system
property is to be configured in every build machine in order to be sure
that the build is consistent across all of the environments.

What about having a simply "property" (in <properties />) in the project ?
I will set in on the parent of my hierarchy.
I see we cannot a a new xml tag/xml attribute, as it will be a change in
the version of the pom.

As an alternative we could have a flag in Maven, to be activated by an
'extension'

Thoughts

Enrico

Re: Consumer pom, use a System property or a pom property ?

rfscholte
bq. I would like to use this feature when Maven 3.7.0 is out

There's this interesting idea from Stephen to activate it by default,
disabling it explicitly by setting the property to false.

I did a Twitter poll, and the result after 100 responses was close to 50/50

The more I think about it, the more I start to like the idea.
In the past we've always been very careful with activating features, but
why in this case?
The whole idea here is that it should not break current poms. However, it
is possible to remove a couple of elements and these will be added during
*build* as if they were always there. The installed/deployed pom in based
on this, minus a view build-specific elements.

Btw, I discovered that I should take care of the LexicalHandler too, so
there will be more commits and tests.

Robert

ps. thanks for the compliments. I hope it'll move the project forward!