Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Enrico Olivelli
Hi,
when we move to the consumer pom we can leverage the disk layout of
projects inside the same repository while looking for the parent pom.

Currently you can use the <relativePath/> element to refer to the location
of a parent pom, AFAIK this is only an hint for Maven and for tools: you
must always copy all of the coordinates of the parent module because when
you publish your pom the consumer must be able to find such parent module
from remote repositories, without having the physical layout of the source
code.

With the consumer pom with can let the build pom have only the relativePath
element and then we will fill the consumer (deployed) pom with the
effective parent coordinates.

This will simply a lot this part of Maven that is quite annoying for users

Thoughts?
Enrico

Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Robert Scholte-8
Hi Enrico,

current implementation says groupId+artifact are required, but you can either specify version or relativePath (or omit it, meaning ../pom.xml)
I've decided to keep G+A so MAven can verify the pom is pointing to the right parent.
MNG-6656 has a demo attached which shows you the new valid pom structure.

thanks,
Robert

On 30-11-2019 13:39:12, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
when we move to the consumer pom we can leverage the disk layout of
projects inside the same repository while looking for the parent pom.

Currently you can use the element to refer to the location