Choice of Maven Repository Manager and NMaven

Choice of Maven Repository Manager and NMaven

James Carpenter-2
When using NMaven for .NET builds is there any NMaven specific reason to use one repository manager over another?

Flame bait:
I have used Artifactory and Proximity in the past.  From looking at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+Repository+Manager+Feature+Matrix it seems Archiva, Artifactory, and Nexus are very close in functionality and all actively maintained.

Is there some killer feature I'm overlooking that makes one implementation far superior to the others?

Re: Choice of Maven Repository Manager and NMaven

brettporter
Administrator
I think they should all behave equally WRT NMaven.

I personally work on Archiva :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
[hidden email]
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: Choice of Maven Repository Manager and NMaven

Jason van Zyl
Nexus is by far the easiest to setup, has the best UI, and is the most
well maintained (look at the release history) and released most often.
You can compare some of the features here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+Repository+Manager+Feature+Matrix

My advice is try to install them and you'll probably decide after 10
minutes.

The other advantage that Nexus has (which is a point that the Nexus
team will take advantage of) is that Shane Isbell, the creator of
NMaven, works for Sonatype who are the folks that make Nexus and
specific .NET support is definitely on our roadmap. Nexus is also an
extension of Proximity and if you've used that in the past we can
easily migrate from Proximity to Nexus. We also have full-time
developers working on Nexus which include QA and documentation staff.

Try installing Nexus (http://nexus.sonatype.org), look at the
documentation we have (which is substantial) and do your comparison.

On 24-Sep-08, at 1:27 AM, James Carpenter wrote:

> When using NMaven for .NET builds is there any NMaven specific
> reason to use one repository manager over another?
>
> Flame bait:
> I have used Artifactory and Proximity in the past.  From looking at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+Repository+Manager+Feature+Matrix
>  it seems Archiva, Artifactory, and Nexus are very close in
> functionality and all actively maintained.
>
> Is there some killer feature I'm overlooking that makes one
> implementation far superior to the others?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition