Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Mills, Gary (GE Digital)

this is my environment. java version "1.8.0_181" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

Apache Maven 3.5.4 Nexus 2.14.8-01 Jenkins 2.136

my issue is I cannot perform a mvn clean deploy in Jenkins without it issuing error. the error:
The POM for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:jar:2.7 is missing, no dependency information available [ERROR] Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:jar:2.7 in http://137.27.68.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of ge-ip-nexus has elapsed or updates are forced

In Nexus Maven Central, I look in Nexus repo, and under Browse Index, the maven-deploy-plugin:jar:2.7 exists, however, under browse storage, only 2.8.2 exists.

I'm not specifying or to my knowledge a specific version and wonder why doesn't it just use the maven-deploy-plugin:jar:2.8.2 ??? instead of the 2.7. and I can't find where the 2.7 is being declared. ??

thank you any suggestions on how to resolve or explain what the heck is going on would be much appreciated,

it keeps looking for maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 when 2.8.2 is available?  How can I make this work? Either use 2.7 or make it use 2.8 ?

<settings

  xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0"

  xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0

                      http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd">

  <!-- The path to the local repository -->

  <localRepository>/Users/212555427/devel/maven/repositories/ge-ip-jenkins-repository</localRepository>

  <offline>false</offline>

  <servers>

    <server>

      <id>com.ge.ip.snapshot.local</id>

      <username>xxxxx</username>

      <password>xxxxxx</password>

    </server>

  </servers>

  <mirrors>

    <mirror>

      <id>ge-ip-nexus</id>

      <name>Nexus Repository Manager</name>

      <mirrorOf>*,!jbossRepos(x)</mirrorOf>

      <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>

    </mirror>

  </mirrors>

  <profiles>

    <!-- A definition of a development profile -->

    <profile>

      <id>development</id>

      <repositories>

        <repository>

          <snapshots>

            <enabled>false</enabled>

          </snapshots>

          <id>com.ge.ip.release</id>

          <name>Release Repository</name>

          <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>

        </repository>

        <!-- The specified location of where all snapshot artifacts are retrieved from.  -->

        <repository>

          <snapshots>

            <enabled>true</enabled>

          </snapshots>

          <id>com.ge.ip.snapshot</id>

          <name>Snapshot Repository</name>

          <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>

        </repository>

      </repositories>

      <pluginRepositories>

        <!-- The specified location of where all released plugins are retrieved from.  -->

        <pluginRepository>

          <snapshots>

            <enabled>false</enabled>

          </snapshots>

          <id>com.ge.ip.plugin.release</id>

          <name>Plugin Release Repository</name>

          <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>

        </pluginRepository>

        <!-- The specified location of where all snapshot plugins are retrieved from.  -->

        <pluginRepository>

          <snapshots>

            <enabled>true</enabled>

          </snapshots>

          <id>com.ge.ip.plugin.snapshot</id>

          <name>Plugin Snapshot Repository</name>

          <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>

        </pluginRepository>

      </pluginRepositories>

    </profile>

  </profiles>

  <!-- Specify the default active profile. -->

  <activeProfiles>

    <activeProfile>development</activeProfile>

  </activeProfiles>

</settings>

Thank you!

Re: Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Tommy Svensson
Hello Gary,

I have seen the word LATEST in capitals used as version number, but never tried it myself. It is in general a good idea to know exactly what version you are using, and do controlled upgrades to newer versions. Surprises are seldom good IMHO.

Regards,
Tommy

På 9 augusti 2018 till 21:49:41, Mills, Gary (GE Digital) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) skrev:

> [...]
>
> </pluginRepository>
>

> <!-- The specified location of where all snapshot plugins are retrieved from. -->
>

> <pluginRepository>
>
> <snapshots>
>
> <enabled>true</enabled>
>
> </snapshots>
>
> <id>com.ge.ip.plugin.snapshot</id>
>
> <name>Plugin Snapshot Repository</name>
>
> <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>
>
> </pluginRepository>
>

> </pluginRepositories>
>
> </profile>
>

> </profiles>
>

> <!-- Specify the default active profile. -->
>
> <activeProfiles>
>
> <activeProfile>development</activeProfile>
>
> </activeProfiles>
>

> </settings>
>
> Thank you!

Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Hey Tommy, thanks!  Yeah, I get it.  I'm really just trying to understand how this all works 😊 .

How does Maven determine the default plugin version to use?  Let's say you only give Maven the order, "clean deploy", Maven goes out and somehow determines to pull down plugin xxx.x.  there has to be something that directs it to a specific base version set?

Gary Mills
Kind Regards,
Cell      630-607-9639
Work  920-390-4806

> [...]

> </pluginRepository>
>

> <!-- The specified location of where all snapshot plugins are retrieved from. -->
>

> <pluginRepository>
>
> <snapshots>
>
> <enabled>true</enabled>
>
> </snapshots>
>
> <id>com.ge.ip.plugin.snapshot</id>
>
> <name>Plugin Snapshot Repository</name>
>
> <url>http://137.277.686.182:8082/nexus/content/groups/public</url>
>
> </pluginRepository>
>

> </pluginRepositories>
>
> </profile>
>

> </profiles>
>

> <!-- Specify the default active profile. -->
>
> <activeProfiles>
>
> <activeProfile>development</activeProfile>
>
> </activeProfiles>
>

> </settings>
>
> Thank you!

Re: Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Doug Douglass-3
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:22 AM Mills, Gary (GE Digital) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Tommy, thanks!  Yeah, I get it.  I'm really just trying to understand
> how this all works 😊 .
>
> How does Maven determine the default plugin version to use?  Let's say you
> only give Maven the order, "clean deploy", Maven goes out and somehow
> determines to pull down plugin xxx.x.  there has to be something that
> directs it to a specific base version set?

Checkout https://maven.apache.org/pom.html#The_Super_POM and its advice
"You can take a look at how the Super POM affects your Project Object Model
by creating a minimal pom.xml and executing on the command line: mvn
help:effective-pom"

Re: Cannot Deploy From Jenkins to Nexus maven-deploy-plugin:2.7 not found

Tommy Svensson
Hello again Gary,

My guesswer is no :-).

I’ve personally never been in a situation where there isn’t a version specified for every dependency, plugin, etc. I’m not sure you are allowed to not specify a version completely. Yes, it can be skipped on <dependency>…</dependency>, but that is because of <dependencyManagement>…</dependencyManagement> where complete GAV (Group, Artifact, Version) is specified for dependencies. This is usually put high up in a parent pom. Then lower pom’s can just specify the dependency without version. This is to simplify and keep version management in one place. So I believe that you must put a version somewhere, and that there are no standard default versions.

If you don’t know what versions are available for some dependency, you can always search in maven central: https://search.maven.org/classic/. Or if your dependencies are in bintrays jcenter you can search for packages here: https://bintray.com/bintray/jcenter.

Regards,
Tommy