Quantcast

Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Hi,
I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
simple running Maven on jdk9.

Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
following all the news about Maven and Java9

So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
reached the "Developer Preview
<http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.

Thanks
-- Enrico

Building a Java8 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Sorry for the typo in the subject

Il lun 10 apr 2017, 17:37 Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
> I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> simple running Maven on jdk9.
>
> Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> following all the news about Maven and Java9
>
> So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> reached the "Developer Preview
> <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
> and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.
>

> Thanks
> -- Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> simple running Maven on jdk9.
>
> Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> following all the news about Maven and Java9

What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

> So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> reached the "Developer Preview
> <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
> and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.
>

> Thanks
> -- Enrico

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> > simple running Maven on jdk9.
> >
> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>
> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?

Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
maven-war-plugin.
Is there any active work on that issue?
 I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue tracker
it seems that it is not a priority

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz
>

> > So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> > reached the "Developer Preview
> > <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions>
> milestone"
> > and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against
> Java9.
> >

> > Thanks
> > -- Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert Scholte-6
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:23:27 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8
>> by
>> > simple running Maven on jdk9.
>> >
>> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
>> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>>
>> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
>>

> Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> maven-war-plugin.
> Is there any active work on that issue?
>  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> tracker
> it seems that it is not a priority

I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
MWAR-397[1]
But it's not that easy, classes are mixture of pojo's and business logic,
which need to be separated.

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397

Il lun 10 apr 2017, 22:32 Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:23:27 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> > scritto:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> by

> >> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
> >>

> > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > maven-war-plugin.
> > Is there any active work on that issue?
> >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> > tracker
> > it seems that it is not a priority
> >

> I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
> MWAR-397[1]
> But it's not that easy, classes are mixture of pojo's and business logic,
> which need to be separated.
>
> Robert
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-39
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397>

Thank you Robert. I will take a deep look into the plugin. If possible I
will be happy to contribute. I will be back soon

> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz

> >> now
> >> milestone"
> >> Java9.

> >> --
> >

> > -- Enrico Olivelli

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Jörg Schaible
Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8
>> > by simple running Maven on jdk9.
>> >
>> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
>> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>>
>> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
>>

> Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> maven-war-plugin.
> Is there any active work on that issue?
>  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
>  tracker
> it seems that it is not a priority

You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" - at
least until a solution is available.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Thank you all for your quick answers

@Robert
I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397

@Jörg
The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
most of the problems of Java9 fo

I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the maven-war-plugin
from crashing at clinit
https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112

this will make it work just by disabling the cache
I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9 Webapps

If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
conventions or the project and file a clean PR

Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>
> > Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> > scritto:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
> >>

> > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > maven-war-plugin.
> > Is there any active work on that issue?
> >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> >  tracker
> > it seems that it is not a priority
>
> You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
> at
> least until a solution is available.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Jörg Schaible-5
Hi Enrico,

Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> Thank you all for your quick answers
>
> @Robert
> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>
> @Jörg
> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> most of the problems of Java9 fo

At least it writes still any violation to stderr. As said, that is also just
a temporary solution.

> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> maven-war-plugin from crashing at clinit
> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>
> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> Webapps
>
> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> conventions or the project and file a clean PR

In that case you might simply overload XStream's setupConverters method and
register only the converters used for the scenario in the war-plugin. If the
object graph does not contain a TreeSet, there's no need to initialize and
register a converter for it.

> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

Cannot say anything about it.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
@Jörg
I have updated the PR with your proposal of registering only a bunch of
converters.
https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112

It is working very well (with a very simple webapp) !

I think it is the most simple solution for the Java9 problem actually. It
does not require invasive code change.

Is this a good short/mid term solution ? Can a submit a JIRA ?

> Hi Enrico,
>
> Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>
> > Thank you all for your quick answers
> >
> > @Robert
> > I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> > the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> > mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
> >
> > @Jörg
> > The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> > most of the problems of Java9 fo
>
> At least it writes still any violation to stderr. As said, that is also
> just
> a temporary solution.
>
> > I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> > maven-war-plugin from crashing at clinit
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
> >
> > this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> > I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> > Webapps
> >
> > If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> > conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>
> In that case you might simply overload XStream's setupConverters method and
> register only the converters used for the scenario in the war-plugin. If
> the
> object graph does not contain a TreeSet, there's no need to initialize and
> register a converter for it.
>
> > Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> > serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests
>
> Cannot say anything about it.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert,

Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
plugins section?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw

Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :

> Thank you all for your quick answers
>
> @Robert
> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>
> @Jörg
> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> most of the problems of Java9 fo
>
> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the maven-war-plugin
> from crashing at clinit
> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>
> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9 Webapps
>
> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>
> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> > Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> > > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > > maven-war-plugin.
> > > Is there any active work on that issue?
> > >
> > >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> > >  tracker
> > >
> > > it seems that it is not a priority
> >
> > You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
> > at
> > least until a solution is available.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
I have created the JIRA to better track my proposal

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-405

> Robert,
>
> Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
> plugins section?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :
> > Thank you all for your quick answers
> >
> > @Robert
> > I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> > the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> > mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
> >
> > @Jörg
> > The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> > most of the problems of Java9 fo
> >
> > I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> maven-war-plugin
> > from crashing at clinit
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
> >
> > this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> > I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> Webapps
> >
> > If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> > conventions or the project and file a clean PR
> >
> > Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> > serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> java8

> ?

> > > You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access"
> -
> > > at
> > > least until a solution is available.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert Scholte-6
Yes, I think that makes sense. Will do so.

Robert

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 03:15:41 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
> plugins section?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :
>> Thank you all for your quick answers
>>
>> @Robert
>> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
>> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on
>> the
>> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>>
>> @Jörg
>> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
>> most of the problems of Java9 fo
>>
>> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
>> maven-war-plugin
>> from crashing at clinit
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>>
>> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
>> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
>> Webapps
>>
>> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
>> conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>>
>> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
>> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

>> java8

>> currently

>> etc. ?

>> > You should be able to run it with
>> MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
>> > at
>> > least until a solution is available.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Paul Hammant

>> I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
> MWAR-397[1]

Just for the record, Jörg is working through the Java9 issues for XStream
presently - https://github.com/x-stream/xstream/commits/master

- Paul

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
I would like to share my current pom configuration which lets me to
build and test java8 apps on latest and greatest jdk9

This profile is activated when using jdk9.

This is based on a suggestion of Robert, its suggestion for the
javadoc plugin is working great with surefire too

<profile>
            <id>jdk9</id>
            <activation>
                <jdk>[9,)</jdk>
            </activation>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <configuration>
                            <additionalparam>--add-modules
ALL-SYSTEM</additionalparam>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.20</version>
                        <configuration>
                            <argLine>--add-modules ALL-SYSTEM</argLine>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>