Quantcast

Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Hi,
I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
simple running Maven on jdk9.

Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
following all the news about Maven and Java9

So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
reached the "Developer Preview
<http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.

Thanks
-- Enrico

Building a Java8 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Sorry for the typo in the subject

Il lun 10 apr 2017, 17:37 Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
> I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> simple running Maven on jdk9.
>
> Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> following all the news about Maven and Java9
>
> So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> reached the "Developer Preview
> <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
> and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.
>

> Thanks
> -- Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> simple running Maven on jdk9.
>
> Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> following all the news about Maven and Java9

What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

> So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> reached the "Developer Preview
> <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions> milestone"
> and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against Java9.
>

> Thanks
> -- Enrico

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8 by
> > simple running Maven on jdk9.
> >
> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>
> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?

Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
maven-war-plugin.
Is there any active work on that issue?
 I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue tracker
it seems that it is not a priority

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz
>

> > So I would like to "help" in order to "get things working" as Java9 now
> > reached the "Developer Preview
> > <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/milestones#definitions>
> milestone"
> > and a really would like to start checking all of my projects against
> Java9.
> >

> > Thanks
> > -- Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert Scholte-6
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:23:27 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8
>> by
>> > simple running Maven on jdk9.
>> >
>> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
>> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>>
>> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
>>

> Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> maven-war-plugin.
> Is there any active work on that issue?
>  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> tracker
> it seems that it is not a priority

I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
MWAR-397[1]
But it's not that easy, classes are mixture of pojo's and business logic,
which need to be separated.

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397

Il lun 10 apr 2017, 22:32 Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:23:27 +0200, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> > scritto:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> by

> >> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
> >>

> > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > maven-war-plugin.
> > Is there any active work on that issue?
> >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> > tracker
> > it seems that it is not a priority
> >

> I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
> MWAR-397[1]
> But it's not that easy, classes are mixture of pojo's and business logic,
> which need to be separated.
>
> Robert
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-39
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397>

Thank you Robert. I will take a deep look into the plugin. If possible I
will be happy to contribute. I will be back soon

> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz

> >> now
> >> milestone"
> >> Java9.

> >> --
> >

> > -- Enrico Olivelli

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Jörg Schaible
Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/17 17:37, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I would like be able to build an existing project developed for java8
>> > by simple running Maven on jdk9.
>> >
>> > Actually it is not possible, I am aware of that and I am currently
>> > following all the news about Maven and Java9
>>
>> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
>>

> Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> maven-war-plugin.
> Is there any active work on that issue?
>  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
>  tracker
> it seems that it is not a priority

You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" - at
least until a solution is available.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Thank you all for your quick answers

@Robert
I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397

@Jörg
The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
most of the problems of Java9 fo

I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the maven-war-plugin
from crashing at clinit
https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112

this will make it work just by disabling the cache
I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9 Webapps

If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
conventions or the project and file a clean PR

Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>
> > Il lun 10 apr 2017, 18:57 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha
> > scritto:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> What is not possible ? Do you have an error message / log file etc. ?
> >>

> > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > maven-war-plugin.
> > Is there any active work on that issue?
> >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> >  tracker
> > it seems that it is not a priority
>
> You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
> at
> least until a solution is available.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Jörg Schaible-5
Hi Enrico,

Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> Thank you all for your quick answers
>
> @Robert
> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>
> @Jörg
> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> most of the problems of Java9 fo

At least it writes still any violation to stderr. As said, that is also just
a temporary solution.

> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> maven-war-plugin from crashing at clinit
> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>
> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> Webapps
>
> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> conventions or the project and file a clean PR

In that case you might simply overload XStream's setupConverters method and
register only the converters used for the scenario in the war-plugin. If the
object graph does not contain a TreeSet, there's no need to initialize and
register a converter for it.

> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

Cannot say anything about it.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
@Jörg
I have updated the PR with your proposal of registering only a bunch of
converters.
https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112

It is working very well (with a very simple webapp) !

I think it is the most simple solution for the Java9 problem actually. It
does not require invasive code change.

Is this a good short/mid term solution ? Can a submit a JIRA ?

> Hi Enrico,
>
> Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>
> > Thank you all for your quick answers
> >
> > @Robert
> > I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> > the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> > mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
> >
> > @Jörg
> > The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> > most of the problems of Java9 fo
>
> At least it writes still any violation to stderr. As said, that is also
> just
> a temporary solution.
>
> > I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> > maven-war-plugin from crashing at clinit
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
> >
> > this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> > I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> > Webapps
> >
> > If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> > conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>
> In that case you might simply overload XStream's setupConverters method and
> register only the converters used for the scenario in the war-plugin. If
> the
> object graph does not contain a TreeSet, there's no need to initialize and
> register a converter for it.
>
> > Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> > serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests
>
> Cannot say anything about it.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert,

Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
plugins section?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw

Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :

> Thank you all for your quick answers
>
> @Robert
> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>
> @Jörg
> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> most of the problems of Java9 fo
>
> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the maven-war-plugin
> from crashing at clinit
> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>
> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9 Webapps
>
> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>
> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> > Enrico Olivelli wrote:

> > > Actually I am blocked on the TreeMap issue with xstream and
> > > maven-war-plugin.
> > > Is there any active work on that issue?
> > >
> > >  I see it is marked as an external dep problem but on xstream issue
> > >  tracker
> > >
> > > it seems that it is not a priority
> >
> > You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
> > at
> > least until a solution is available.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
I have created the JIRA to better track my proposal

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-405

> Robert,
>
> Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
> plugins section?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :
> > Thank you all for your quick answers
> >
> > @Robert
> > I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
> > the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on the
> > mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
> >
> > @Jörg
> > The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
> > most of the problems of Java9 fo
> >
> > I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
> maven-war-plugin
> > from crashing at clinit
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
> >
> > this will make it work just by disabling the cache
> > I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
> Webapps
> >
> > If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
> > conventions or the project and file a clean PR
> >
> > Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
> > serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

> java8

> ?

> > > You should be able to run it with MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access"
> -
> > > at
> > > least until a solution is available.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Robert Scholte-6
Yes, I think that makes sense. Will do so.

Robert

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 03:15:41 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Should this war plugin be added to the Java 9 - Jigsaw Wiki page in the
> plugins section?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 10:14:12 CEST Enrico Olivelli a écrit :
>> Thank you all for your quick answers
>>
>> @Robert
>> I have checked out the code and took a deeper look:
>> the implementation of MWAR-397 is complex and will take some time, on
>> the
>> mid term I agree that it will an awesome solution
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MWAR-397
>>
>> @Jörg
>> The option --permit-illegal-access will not work for me as it will hide
>> most of the problems of Java9 fo
>>
>> I would like to propose a simpler patch which prevents the
>> maven-war-plugin
>> from crashing at clinit
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pull/112
>>
>> this will make it work just by disabling the cache
>> I see it is a very temporary fix but lets everyone go on with Java9
>> Webapps
>>
>> If the idea is good a can file a JIRA, clean up the code respecting the
>> conventions or the project and file a clean PR
>>
>> Another fallback would be to use the Kryo library, which let's you
>> serialize non-serializable objects, but I have not tests

>> java8

>> currently

>> etc. ?

>> > You should be able to run it with
>> MAVEN_OPTS="--permit-illegal-access" -
>> > at
>> > least until a solution is available.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Jörg

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Paul Hammant

>> I don't see any activity either, so my idea is to replace XStream, see
> MWAR-397[1]

Just for the record, Jörg is working through the Java9 issues for XStream
presently - https://github.com/x-stream/xstream/commits/master

- Paul

Re: Building a Java9 project just using JDK9

Enrico Olivelli
Thank you Robert,
I saw that you have merged my patch.

Is there any plan to release the new version of the war plugin?

Enrico

--

-- Enrico Olivelli