Broken surefire defaults?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys

Surefire sets some java 9 modules by default when running tests on j9.

I understand the intention but it means surefire doesnt test accurately the
code in the build since you will pass the tests and fail at runtime pretry
easily a d with any embedded solution like spring boot, meecrowave, tomee
etc...

A very common example is a missing jaxb dependency which would be hidden by
surefire (which means surefire swallowed a bug)

I also know you can tune it to use java.base and therefore have a normal
behavior but to do that you need to know it.

Since I saw several colleagues hitting this issue i think it is worth
mentionning it here and request if default can be aligned on the jvm
instead of trying to be too clever?

Re: Broken surefire defaults?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Great news, thanks a lot!