Block level elements do not appear in output

Block level elements do not appear in output

Trevor Harmon
Hi,

My APT file declares block level elements such as a title and author,
as defined by the APT format:

http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/apt-format.html

However, when I run "mvn site", the APT file that is generated is
missing the block level elements. Is this a bug?

Trevor

Re: Block level elements do not appear in output

Vincent Siveton-2
Hi Trevor,

2009/1/9, Trevor Harmon <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
>  My APT file declares block level elements such as a title and author, as
> defined by the APT format:
>
>  http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/apt-format.html
>
>  However, when I run "mvn site", the APT file that is generated is missing
> the block level elements. Is this a bug?

Not a known bug, but you could create an issue and attach your apt file.

Cheers,

Vincent

>  Trevor

Re: Block level elements do not appear in output

Lukas Theussl-4

You use 'mvn site' to generate apt files from apt source files? I guess you mean
html? In this case the title and author end up in the html <head>, so you don't
see them when you view the file with a browser.

-Lukas

On Jan 12, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> You use 'mvn site' to generate apt files from apt source files? I
> guess you mean html? In this case the title and author end up in the
> html <head>, so you don't see them when you view the file with a
> browser.

Yes, sorry, I meant that I'm generating from APT, not to APT.

It's odd that the generator puts the title and author into the HTML
but makes them invisible. And it ignores the date completely. Doesn't
that defeat the purpose of adding this information?

Trevor

Re: Block level elements do not appear in output

Lukas Theussl-4

The information is there but as meta information, it's not content-information. Eg
the maven site has 100s of documents written by different people at different
times, you don't want to see all that when you browse the site, do you?

The purpose of adding it is to record some information about the origin of the
document, not to convey information for the end-user.

-Lukas

On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> The information is there but as meta information, it's not content-
> information. Eg the maven site has 100s of documents written by
> different people at different times, you don't want to see all that
> when you browse the site, do you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "all that". There are only three pieces
of information: title, author, and date. I would definitely want to
see these important attributes when reading the documentation about
something.

> The purpose of adding it is to record some information about the
> origin of the document, not to convey information for the end-user.

I disagree about that. Recording the origin and history of the
document is already handled by the source code repository. There's no
sense in duplicating that information in the APT file, unless the goal
is to make it readily visible to the reader... but it's not, hence my
confusion.

Looking at this another way... If you just want to include some
"invisible" metadata, you can always insert it into the APT file as a
comment. Any non-comments in the APT file should be visible to the
reader, since that was likely the author's intent.

Trevor

Trevor Harmon wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:
>
>> The information is there but as meta information, it's not content-
>> information. Eg the maven site has 100s of documents written by
>> different people at different times, you don't want to see all that
>> when you browse the site, do you?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "all that". There are only three pieces
> of information: title, author, and date. I would definitely want to  see
> these important attributes when reading the documentation about  something.
>
>> The purpose of adding it is to record some information about the
>> origin of the document, not to convey information for the end-user.
>

> I disagree about that. Recording the origin and history of the  document
> is already handled by the source code repository. There's no  sense in
> duplicating that information in the APT file, unless the goal  is to
> make it readily visible to the reader... but it's not, hence my  confusion.
>
> Looking at this another way... If you just want to include some
> "invisible" metadata, you can always insert it into the APT file as a
> comment. Any non-comments in the APT file should be visible to the
> reader, since that was likely the author's intent.

I don't quite see the point of this discussion anymore... let's just take it as a
definition: the default doxia xhtml sink treats title date and author as meta
information. If you want it to behave differently then write and use your own Sink
(I'll gladly review any patches! :) ). If you want title/date/author to appear on
your site for every single page then include it as content. So everyone can be
made happy...

-Lukas