Attach a random file to the deploy process

Attach a random file to the deploy process

Maven User-3
Hi all -

I _thought_ I had a good grasp on this, but something passed me by.

Is it possible to attach some file to the deploy process?  We have a couple
non-standard artifacts I want/need deployed to nexus as is (imagine a .doc
or .xls file).

They also can not be packaged up then the consumer process unpack them
(don't get me started).

HALP!

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Jörg Schaible
Maven User wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I _thought_ I had a good grasp on this, but something passed me by.
>
> Is it possible to attach some file to the deploy process?  We have a
> couple non-standard artifacts I want/need deployed to nexus as is (imagine
> a .doc or .xls file).
>
> They also can not be packaged up then the consumer process unpack them
> (don't get me started).
>
> HALP!

You can use the buildhelper plugin from Codehaus.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Maven User-3
Well, kinda - that only allows you to adjust extension and classifier.

I _know_, we're swimming up stream here a bit.

I'm pulling down the code for the buildhelper - I'd like to be able to
control final name or artifactId at least :-/

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Maven User wrote:
>
> > Hi all -
> >
> > I _thought_ I had a good grasp on this, but something passed me by.
> >
> > Is it possible to attach some file to the deploy process?  We have a
> > couple non-standard artifacts I want/need deployed to nexus as is
> (imagine
> > a .doc or .xls file).
> >
> > They also can not be packaged up then the consumer process unpack them
> > (don't get me started).
> >
> > HALP!
>
> You can use the buildhelper plugin from Codehaus.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

RE: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Davis, Chad

> Well, kinda - that only allows you to adjust extension and classifier.
>
> I _know_, we're swimming up stream here a bit.
>
> I'm pulling down the code for the buildhelper - I'd like to be able to control
> final name or artifactId at least :-/

I would suggest that controlling the name of the artifact is flagrant violation of the maven way.  I just did a bunch of this work and
I used the classifier to clearly identify the purpose of the attached artifact.  Assuming your .doc file was something like "release notes", you could use a classifier of "releaseNotes".  I assume your desire to use a different name comes from other elements of your ecosystem wanting/ needing a different name . . . ?  I suggest changing those things if possible.

If they really have to be named something else, perhaps they should be attached to another project with that name.  Or even deployed ad hoc via the deploy:deploy-file mojo?

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Maven User-3
Preaching to the choir my friend.

I tried hacking up the build helper plugin as suggested above, but the
ArtifactId (understandably) can't be changed.

Thanks all!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Well, kinda - that only allows you to adjust extension and classifier.
> >
> > I _know_, we're swimming up stream here a bit.
> >
> > I'm pulling down the code for the buildhelper - I'd like to be able to
> control
> > final name or artifactId at least :-/
>
> I would suggest that controlling the name of the artifact is flagrant
> violation of the maven way.  I just did a bunch of this work and
> I used the classifier to clearly identify the purpose of the attached
> artifact.  Assuming your .doc file was something like "release notes", you
> could use a classifier of "releaseNotes".  I assume your desire to use a
> different name comes from other elements of your ecosystem wanting/ needing
> a different name . . . ?  I suggest changing those things if possible.
>
> If they really have to be named something else, perhaps they should be
> attached to another project with that name.  Or even deployed ad hoc via
> the deploy:deploy-file mojo?

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Maven User-3
Ok, now getting a bit pissed.

Maven deploy:deploy-file is NOT liking my url to my snapshot repository.

Is there some magic or can I just use -Durl=http://<server>/<path>/snapshots

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Maven User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Preaching to the choir my friend.
>
> I tried hacking up the build helper plugin as suggested above, but the
> ArtifactId (understandably) can't be changed.
>
> Thanks all!
>

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > Well, kinda - that only allows you to adjust extension and classifier.
>> >
>> > I _know_, we're swimming up stream here a bit.
>> >
>> > I'm pulling down the code for the buildhelper - I'd like to be able to
>> control
>> > final name or artifactId at least :-/
>>
>> I would suggest that controlling the name of the artifact is flagrant
>> violation of the maven way.  I just did a bunch of this work and
>> I used the classifier to clearly identify the purpose of the attached
>> artifact.  Assuming your .doc file was something like "release notes", you
>> could use a classifier of "releaseNotes".  I assume your desire to use a
>> different name comes from other elements of your ecosystem wanting/ needing
>> a different name . . . ?  I suggest changing those things if possible.
>>
>> If they really have to be named something else, perhaps they should be
>> attached to another project with that name.  Or even deployed ad hoc via
>> the deploy:deploy-file mojo?

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Anders Hammar
I think it should work. WHat is Maven complaining about?

/Anders

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:51, Maven User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, now getting a bit pissed.
>
> Maven deploy:deploy-file is NOT liking my url to my snapshot repository.
>
> Is there some magic or can I just use -Durl=http://<server>/<path>/snapshots
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Maven User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Preaching to the choir my friend.
>>
>> I tried hacking up the build helper plugin as suggested above, but the
>> ArtifactId (understandably) can't be changed.
>>
>> Thanks all!

>>> control
>>>
>>> I would suggest that controlling the name of the artifact is flagrant
>>> violation of the maven way.  I just did a bunch of this work and
>>> I used the classifier to clearly identify the purpose of the attached
>>> artifact.  Assuming your .doc file was something like "release notes", you
>>> could use a classifier of "releaseNotes".  I assume your desire to use a
>>> different name comes from other elements of your ecosystem wanting/ needing
>>> a different name . . . ?  I suggest changing those things if possible.
>>>
>>> If they really have to be named something else, perhaps they should be
>>> attached to another project with that name.  Or even deployed ad hoc via
>>> the deploy:deploy-file mojo?

Re: Attach a random file to the deploy process

Maven User-3
Sorry - I was hijacked by the fact that we (at one point) were using nexus
pro and deploying to a staging repo so there was a missing url value.

All set - nothing to see here.

I promise to fix this with a big hammer and do things the correct way :-)