Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Francesco Chicchiriccò
Hi all,
I am using since quite some time Maven 3.5.0-beta-1 and I am very satisfied, thanks for the good work!

I was wondering if there is any mean to change the predefined color scheme: could you please provide any pointer WRT this?

Thanks.
Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Yes, you can customize colors (thanks to some help I got during a Paris
HackerGarten Meetup [1]).
Here is the link in th ereference documentation:
http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0/maven-embedder/

While reading now what I wrote, it should probably be enhanced to be more
explicit that styled message API details are particularly useful for color
customization => I'll improve immediately this doc for the next minor release
:)

[1] https://www.meetup.com/Paris-Hackergarten/

Le vendredi 7 avril 2017, 12:47:35 CEST Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :

> Hi all,
> I am using since quite some time Maven 3.5.0-beta-1 and I am very satisfied,
> thanks for the good work!
>
> I was wondering if there is any mean to change the predefined color scheme:
> could you please provide any pointer WRT this?
>
> Thanks.
> Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Francesco Chicchiriccò
Thanks Hervé,
appending

-Dstyle.success=green

to my MAVEN_OPTS did the trick.

Is there any place where defaults for all styles (debug, info, warning, error, success, warning, failure, strong, mojo and project) are reported? Thanks!

Regards.

On 2017-04-08 08:33 (+0200), Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, you can customize colors (thanks to some help I got during a Paris
> HackerGarten Meetup [1]).
> Here is the link in th ereference documentation:
> http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0/maven-embedder/
>
> While reading now what I wrote, it should probably be enhanced to be more
> explicit that styled message API details are particularly useful for color
> customization => I'll improve immediately this doc for the next minor release
> :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://www.meetup.com/Paris-Hackergarten/
>
> Le vendredi 7 avril 2017, 12:47:35 CEST Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> > I am using since quite some time Maven 3.5.0-beta-1 and I am very satisfied,
> > thanks for the good work!
> >
> > I was wondering if there is any mean to change the predefined color scheme:
> > could you please provide any pointer WRT this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

> Thanks Hervé,
> appending
>
> -Dstyle.success=green
>
> to my MAVEN_OPTS did the trick.
>
> Is there any place where defaults for all styles (debug, info, warning, error, success, warning, failure, strong, mojo and project) are reported? Thanks!

Yes if you do a mvn -X clean:

[DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.helpers.* < plexus.core
[DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.spi.* < plexus.core
[DEBUG] Populating class realm maven.api
[INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
[DEBUG] Message scheme: color
[DEBUG] Message styles: debug info warning error success failure strong
mojo project
[DEBUG] Reading global settings from /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml
[DEBUG] Reading user settings from /Users/kama/.m2/settings.xml
[DEBUG] Reading global toolchains from /usr/local/maven/conf/toolchains.xml
[DEBUG] Reading user toolchains from /Users/kama/.m2/toolchains.xml

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 2017-04-10 08:58 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thanks Hervé,
> > appending
> >
> > -Dstyle.success=green
> >
> > to my MAVEN_OPTS did the trick.
> >
> > Is there any place where defaults for all styles (debug, info, warning, error, success, warning, failure, strong, mojo and project) are reported? Thanks!
>
> Yes if you do a mvn -X clean:
>
> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.helpers.* < plexus.core
> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.spi.* < plexus.core
> [DEBUG] Populating class realm maven.api
> [INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
> [DEBUG] Message scheme: color
> [DEBUG] Message styles: debug info warning error success failure strong
> mojo project
> [DEBUG] Reading global settings from /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml
> [DEBUG] Reading user settings from /Users/kama/.m2/settings.xml
> [DEBUG] Reading global toolchains from /usr/local/maven/conf/toolchains.xml
> [DEBUG] Reading user toolchains from /Users/kama/.m2/toolchains.xml

Sorry, I don't get it: where do I see, i.e., that style.info is blue by default?

Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

> On 2017-04-10 08:58 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/04/17 08:45, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>>> Thanks Hervé,
>>> appending
>>>
>>> -Dstyle.success=green
>>>
>>> to my MAVEN_OPTS did the trick.
>>>
>>> Is there any place where defaults for all styles (debug, info, warning, error, success, warning, failure, strong, mojo and project) are reported? Thanks!
>>
>> Yes if you do a mvn -X clean:
>>
>> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.helpers.* < plexus.core
>> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.spi.* < plexus.core
>> [DEBUG] Populating class realm maven.api
>> [INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
>> [DEBUG] Message scheme: color
>> [DEBUG] Message styles: debug info warning error success failure strong
>> mojo project
>> [DEBUG] Reading global settings from /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml
>> [DEBUG] Reading user settings from /Users/kama/.m2/settings.xml
>> [DEBUG] Reading global toolchains from /usr/local/maven/conf/toolchains.xml
>> [DEBUG] Reading user toolchains from /Users/kama/.m2/toolchains.xml
>
> Sorry, I don't get it: where do I see, i.e., that style.info is blue by default?

The following line is colored by the appropriate colors which are
used...you should not do a redirect into a pipe via less/more etc..

On 2017-04-10 09:16 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/04/17 09:11, Francesco Chicchiricc� wrote:
> > On 2017-04-10 08:58 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Yes if you do a mvn -X clean:
> >>
> >> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.helpers.* < plexus.core
> >> [DEBUG]   Imported: org.slf4j.spi.* < plexus.core
> >> [DEBUG] Populating class realm maven.api
> >> [INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
> >> [DEBUG] Message scheme: color
> >> [DEBUG] Message styles: debug info warning error success failure strong
> >> mojo project
> >> [DEBUG] Reading global settings from /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml
> >> [DEBUG] Reading user settings from /Users/kama/.m2/settings.xml
> >> [DEBUG] Reading global toolchains from /usr/local/maven/conf/toolchains.xml
> >> [DEBUG] Reading user toolchains from /Users/kama/.m2/toolchains.xml
> >
> > Sorry, I don't get it: where do I see, i.e., that style.info is blue by default?
>
> The following line is colored by the appropriate colors which are
> used...you should not do a redirect into a pipe via less/more etc..
>

> >> [DEBUG] Message styles: debug info warning error success failure strong

I see:

http://pasteboard.co/2wnAdZx8P.png

but still do not have the equivalent color name (e.g. that info is 'blue': I can guess it, naturally...).

Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Hervé BOUTEMY
there is no feature now to dump effective config as text: didn't think at this
scenario

PRs welcome or at least ideas on where to add this feature to make it usable

wrote:

> > > Sorry, I don't get it: where do I see, i.e., that style.info is blue by
> > > default?>
> > The following line is colored by the appropriate colors which are
> > used...you should not do a redirect into a pipe via less/more etc..

> I see:
>
> http://pasteboard.co/2wnAdZx8P.png
>
> but still do not have the equivalent color name (e.g. that info is 'blue': I
> can guess it, naturally...).
>
> Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Robert Scholte-6
I still wonder if we want to have this.
It is less interesting which colors are used, but instead more interesting
the colors you want.
So having a list with the available options would be good enough for me.

Robert

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:42:15 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> there is no feature now to dump effective config as text: didn't think
> at this
> scenario
>
> PRs welcome or at least ideas on where to add this feature to make it
> usable
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le lundi 10 avril 2017, 07:35:49 CEST Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> On 2017-04-10 09:16 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> project)

>> strong
>> /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml

>> blue by
>> > The following line is colored by the appropriate colors which are
>> > used...you should not do a redirect into a pipe via less/more etc..

>> strong
>>
>> I see:
>>
>> http://pasteboard.co/2wnAdZx8P.png
>>
>> but still do not have the equivalent color name (e.g. that info is
>> 'blue': I
>> can guess it, naturally...).
>>
>> Regards.

Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Hervé BOUTEMY
the big question for me is: how to make that list available? A new CLI option?
A new goal in a plugin? which one? help? other ideas?

Once we know where to put the feature, the content can be reworked adapted to
the context

Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 21:35:19 CEST Robert Scholte a écrit :

> I still wonder if we want to have this.
> It is less interesting which colors are used, but instead more interesting
> the colors you want.
> So having a list with the available options would be good enough for me.
>
> Robert
>
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:42:15 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > there is no feature now to dump effective config as text: didn't think
> > at this
> > scenario
> >
> > PRs welcome or at least ideas on where to add this feature to make it
> > usable
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le lundi 10 avril 2017, 07:35:49 CEST Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :

> >> project)

> >> strong

> >> /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml

> >> blue by

> >> strong
> >>
> >> I see:
> >>
> >> http://pasteboard.co/2wnAdZx8P.png
> >>
> >> but still do not have the equivalent color name (e.g. that info is
> >> 'blue': I
> >> can guess it, naturally...).
> >>
> >> Regards.

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Justin Georgeson
I vote for a help plugin goal, like help:color-style. It could show a brief summary and how to customize, list available settings, and print active settings.

External Sender: Use caution with links/attachments.

the big question for me is: how to make that list available? A new CLI option?
A new goal in a plugin? which one? help? other ideas?

Once we know where to put the feature, the content can be reworked adapted to the context

Le mardi 11 avril 2017, 21:35:19 CEST Robert Scholte a écrit :

> I still wonder if we want to have this.
> It is less interesting which colors are used, but instead more
> interesting the colors you want.
> So having a list with the available options would be good enough for me.
>
> Robert
>
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:42:15 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__herve.boutemy-40f
> ree.fr&d=DwIFAw&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo&r=dLxYM3
> PBhAqFnkH7uKz_OVZL1uyui4QoEmBCjCmEiTk&m=2L1RhrmrIqeZgpxGINVHucet-6gs3s
> qlQV0EAtYNCEw&s=nYBx902DpsALmMqWPOBqbilCAvKsThvCi1wMNZvOomE&e= >
>
> wrote:
> > there is no feature now to dump effective config as text: didn't
> > think at this scenario
> >
> > PRs welcome or at least ideas on where to add this feature to make
> > it usable
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le lundi 10 avril 2017, 07:35:49 CEST Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> >> On 2017-04-10 09:16 (+0200), Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >> <[hidden email]>

> >> project)

> >> strong

> >> /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml

> >> blue by

> >> strong
> >>
> >> I see:
> >>
> >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__pasteboard.co_2
> >> wnAdZx8P.png&d=DwIFAw&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo
> >> &r=dLxYM3PBhAqFnkH7uKz_OVZL1uyui4QoEmBCjCmEiTk&m=2L1RhrmrIqeZgpxGIN
> >> VHucet-6gs3sqlQV0EAtYNCEw&s=DsBpenyyfz6ZTQ0kf3ynnjMnVQwN8mHlS9Gss3C
> >> z5ho&e=
> >>
> >> but still do not have the equivalent color name (e.g. that info is
> >> 'blue': I
> >> can guess it, naturally...).
> >>
> >> Regards.

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Any way to change the color scheme in Maven 3.5.0?

Hervé BOUTEMY
looks natural

any taker for Jira issue and/or PR?