Any update on "polyglot" Maven?

Christofer Dutz
Hi all,

after leaving the Flex project I sort of lost the need for supporting alternate dependency strategies. Now in PLC4X we’re currently starting to work on the C and C++ versions of our PLC drivers.
This brings the old problem up again that not all programming languages have the same super-simple dependency types as Java has them.

I remember us discussing options to provide extensions for maven, that for example the type of a pom would not only pull in a dedicated lifecycle mapping, but also provide an alternate dependency resolution mechanism.

In the C/C++ world we unfortunately have things like static and dynamic linking etc. I would really like to not start with hacks as I always did them in Flex and Flexmojos (which is now no longer possible anyway).

Chris

Re: Any update on "polyglot" Maven?

Hervé BOUTEMY
Hi Christofer,

I know C/C++ people who used nar-maven-plugin [1] with success: did you have a
look?

Notice: in Maven, "polyglot" term has always been used for other POM format
than XML.
Here, it's more on Maven support for non-java languages

One key requirement in such multi-languages context will be to have common
understanding and vocabulary on the requirements of the alternate languages,
sharing concrete examples to make sure both java and non-java people see the
same case.
That was my key finding when I worked a little bit to help these C/C++ people
discover the plugin and find their way. But I never got too much in details on
how finely they managed dependencies: I know there were both static and
dynamic libraries, and multi-platform support, then 2 key topics for C/C++
than Java does not require

[1] http://maven-nar.github.io/