Any feedback for MNG-6261?

Dawid Weiss
Hello,

Just wanted to hear if anybody has any idea about MNG-6261 I filed
recently -- there is a relatively simple repro attached and it fails
with Maven 3.5.0+; I've been wondering if it's a bug or an illegal
abuse of the submodule/parent pom relationship.

Dawid

Re: Any feedback for MNG-6261?

Dawid Weiss
> Have you double checked file permissions? if it can't read the parent
> pom (maybe not all dirs are +x etc) then it wil have the behavior you
> see

Come on, guys.  :) I wouldn't ask if I didn't try it in many multiple
combinations. It is a heisenbug, but the reason for it is not a
trivial mistake on my part -- again: it fails on multiple (Windows)
machines; and it fails or not on the same machine, depending on the
path.

Weird, sure, but the more interesting.

I'll do some digging to see what this is, but pointers to code where I
could inject some debugging statements would be very welcome.

D.

Re: Any feedback for MNG-6261?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:49:42 +0200, Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> There must be a difference between the 2 projects.
>
> There is no difference. It's the same repo on the same commit, I
> called "git clean -xfd ." prior to executing those maven commands (and
> obviously there are no other changes).
>
>> But as long as there's no attachment which reproduces the issue, we
>> can't
>> help. Ensure that you've seen the attached project fail.
>
> I know, Robert. But you have to trust me that it does fail
> (non-predictably).
>
>> - rename the directory (for backup), do a fresh checkout and try to do
>> it again.
>
> git clean -xfd .
>
>> - try to follow the path as displayed in the exception.  It shows all
>> required Maven coordinates and even the precise location in the pom.xml
>
> It's an identical (relative path); the resolution of those relative
> paths is broken somehow.
>
> Where is the Maven code (on github) that's responsible for this pom
> resolution?

https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0/maven-resolver-provider/
This is the module responsible for resolving parents, dependencies, etc.

https://github.com/apache/maven
Here it is at github

> Adding -X doesn't really yield any useful logs as to where
> it tries to locate those relative parent POMs, prior to just breaking.
> I'll take a look at it, but it'd save me some time if you could point
> me at the code that performs this.
>
> Dawid

Re: Any feedback for MNG-6261?

Well, file permission/access is indeed something to keep in mind.

E.g. virusscanner are known to block access to a file for a short moment.
IDEs can also cause issues. If some file/code changes causes background
rebuild and you're doing an explicit Maven build yourself at the same
time, you could have an issue.

IIUC the failing project isn't always failing. This could be an
explanation.

Robert