Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
Is it possible to generate a classpath for a dependency not placed in the
dependencyManagement and/or dependencies section but is attached to a
plugin used by the project?

I know it's possible to generate a path to the local repository and look
for the latest version directory and specify the jars under it but is there
any other way to do this preferably via a Maven plugin and one of its goals?

build-classpath from the Maven dependency plugin will only generate
classpaths for dependencies listed in the project's dependencies, not a
plugin's direct dependencies.

I don't wish to add a plugin's specific dependencies to the project's
dependencies.

Regards,
Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
My usecase is that I need to execute a feature available in Checkstyle
that's not provided as a goal in its plugin.

For that, I need access to the dependency classpath (latest version
always).

Then I can execute the feature using the Ant Run plugin.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 06:51 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is it possible to generate a classpath for a dependency not placed in the
> dependencyManagement and/or dependencies section but is attached to a
> plugin used by the project?
>
> I know it's possible to generate a path to the local repository and look
> for the latest version directory and specify the jars under it but is there
> any other way to do this preferably via a Maven plugin and one of its goals?
>
> build-classpath from the Maven dependency plugin will only generate
> classpaths for dependencies listed in the project's dependencies, not a
> plugin's direct dependencies.
>
> I don't wish to add a plugin's specific dependencies to the project's
> dependencies.
>
> Regards,
> Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

Benjamin Marwell
Well, you could write your own plugin which has checkstyle as a dependency.
But it might be the easiest to just create a PR for the checkstyle plugin.
The checkstyle plugin is maintained by maven. So why not just create a
feature request?

Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular dependency.
You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at runtime.

Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 03:49 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
<[hidden email]>:

> My usecase is that I need to execute a feature available in Checkstyle
> that's not provided as a goal in its plugin.
>
> For that, I need access to the dependency classpath (latest version
> always).
>
> Then I can execute the feature using the Ant Run plugin.
>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 06:51 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to generate a classpath for a dependency not placed in the
> > dependencyManagement and/or dependencies section but is attached to a
> > plugin used by the project?
> >
> > I know it's possible to generate a path to the local repository and look
> > for the latest version directory and specify the jars under it but is there
> > any other way to do this preferably via a Maven plugin and one of its goals?
> >
> > build-classpath from the Maven dependency plugin will only generate
> > classpaths for dependencies listed in the project's dependencies, not a
> > plugin's direct dependencies.
> >
> > I don't wish to add a plugin's specific dependencies to the project's
> > dependencies.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
I would like to create a feature request---evidently.

This is something that impacts the ant and Gradle tasks as well.

I'm not sure where to make this request.

Should it be on the Checkstyle Github repo or will I have to make three
separate requests, one for each of the above?

The feature is available on the CLI using the -g option.

I intend to use this during the Maven build, not from my code.

Since I already had Ant configured to do exactly that, I preferred to use
the Ant Run plugin to reproduce the functionality within Maven.

The pom file is located at:

https://github.com/Fernal73/DSAlgos/blob/master/pom.xml

I have no interest in creating my own plugin given the attendant issues of
maintaining it and for just this feature.

This should really be part of the Maven, Ant and Gradle configurations.

Perhaps, it's because the feature is still considered experimental and
there's no pressure from users to add the ability to generate Xpath
suppressions in the other ways to use Checkstyle.

I find it very useful, though although it's complicated to set it up in its
current Avatar.

Regards,
Linus.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 11:56 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, you could write your own plugin which has checkstyle as a dependency.
> But it might be the easiest to just create a PR for the checkstyle plugin.
> The checkstyle plugin is maintained by maven. So why not just create a
> feature request?
>
> Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
> or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
> If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular
> dependency.
> You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at
> runtime.
>
> Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 03:49 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
> <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > My usecase is that I need to execute a feature available in Checkstyle
> > that's not provided as a goal in its plugin.
> >
> > For that, I need access to the dependency classpath (latest version
> > always).
> >
> > Then I can execute the feature using the Ant Run plugin.
> >

> > On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 06:51 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to generate a classpath for a dependency not placed in
> the
> > > dependencyManagement and/or dependencies section but is attached to a
> > > plugin used by the project?
> > >
> > > I know it's possible to generate a path to the local repository and
> look
> > > for the latest version directory and specify the jars under it but is
> there
> > > any other way to do this preferably via a Maven plugin and one of its
> goals?
> > >
> > > build-classpath from the Maven dependency plugin will only generate
> > > classpaths for dependencies listed in the project's dependencies, not a
> > > plugin's direct dependencies.
> > >
> > > I don't wish to add a plugin's specific dependencies to the project's
> > > dependencies.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
As you can see, I'm using the build-classpath goal to generate the
classpath to be used by the Java ant task.
Unfortunately, filtering by artifactIds on the goal gives me only the main
Checkstyle jar and not the path to the supporting jars.
Is there any way around specifying the full classpath of the project while
including the supporting jars?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 12:46 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to create a feature request---evidently.
>
> This is something that impacts the ant and Gradle tasks as well.
>
> I'm not sure where to make this request.
>
> Should it be on the Checkstyle Github repo or will I have to make three
> separate requests, one for each of the above?
>
> The feature is available on the CLI using the -g option.
>
> I intend to use this during the Maven build, not from my code.
>
> Since I already had Ant configured to do exactly that, I preferred to use
> the Ant Run plugin to reproduce the functionality within Maven.
>
> The pom file is located at:
>
> https://github.com/Fernal73/DSAlgos/blob/master/pom.xml
>
> I have no interest in creating my own plugin given the attendant issues of
> maintaining it and for just this feature.
>
> This should really be part of the Maven, Ant and Gradle configurations.
>
> Perhaps, it's because the feature is still considered experimental and
> there's no pressure from users to add the ability to generate Xpath
> suppressions in the other ways to use Checkstyle.
>
> I find it very useful, though although it's complicated to set it up in
> its current Avatar.
>
> Regards,
> Linus.
>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 11:56 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, you could write your own plugin which has checkstyle as a
>> dependency.
>> But it might be the easiest to just create a PR for the checkstyle plugin.
>> The checkstyle plugin is maintained by maven. So why not just create a
>> feature request?
>>
>> Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
>> or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
>> If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular
>> dependency.
>> You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at
>> runtime.
>>
>> Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 03:49 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
>> <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > My usecase is that I need to execute a feature available in Checkstyle
>> > that's not provided as a goal in its plugin.
>> >
>> > For that, I need access to the dependency classpath (latest version
>> > always).
>> >
>> > Then I can execute the feature using the Ant Run plugin.

>> the

>> look
>> there
>> goals?

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

Benjamin Marwell
Feature requests can be created here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MCHECKSTYLE

You are welcome to create a pull request.

Looking at the ant configuration, you could just use the plugin
classpath in your java task:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/examples/classpaths.html

Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 09:16 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
<[hidden email]>:

> I would like to create a feature request---evidently.
>
> This is something that impacts the ant and Gradle tasks as well.
>
> I'm not sure where to make this request.
>
> Should it be on the Checkstyle Github repo or will I have to make three
> separate requests, one for each of the above?
>
> The feature is available on the CLI using the -g option.
>
> I intend to use this during the Maven build, not from my code.
>
> Since I already had Ant configured to do exactly that, I preferred to use
> the Ant Run plugin to reproduce the functionality within Maven.
>
> The pom file is located at:
>
> https://github.com/Fernal73/DSAlgos/blob/master/pom.xml
>
> I have no interest in creating my own plugin given the attendant issues of
> maintaining it and for just this feature.
>
> This should really be part of the Maven, Ant and Gradle configurations.
>
> Perhaps, it's because the feature is still considered experimental and
> there's no pressure from users to add the ability to generate Xpath
> suppressions in the other ways to use Checkstyle.
>
> I find it very useful, though although it's complicated to set it up in its
> current Avatar.
>
> Regards,
> Linus.
>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 11:56 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Well, you could write your own plugin which has checkstyle as a dependency.
> > But it might be the easiest to just create a PR for the checkstyle plugin.
> > The checkstyle plugin is maintained by maven. So why not just create a
> > feature request?
> >
> > Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
> > or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
> > If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular
> > dependency.
> > You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at
> > runtime.
> >
> > Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 03:49 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
> > <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > My usecase is that I need to execute a feature available in Checkstyle
> > > that's not provided as a goal in its plugin.
> > >
> > > For that, I need access to the dependency classpath (latest version
> > > always).
> > >
> > > Then I can execute the feature using the Ant Run plugin.

> > the

> > look
> > there
> > goals?

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
Thanks, that resolves the issue with running the goal as
antrun:run@checkstyleg.

Regards,
Linus.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 13:39 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Also, where do you want to execute the "new goal"? In the maven build
> > > or inside your java code? This will also make a difference.
> > > If it is the latter, you can just pull in the plugin as a regular
> > > dependency.
> > > You can make it optional or provided (or both) if you do not need it at
> > > runtime.

> Checkstyle

> [hidden email]>

> in
> > > the
> to a

> > > look
> is
> > > there
> its
> > > goals?

> not a

> project's

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

I've raised a feature request at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-396

Regards,
Linus.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:19 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks, that resolves the issue with running the goal as
> antrun:run@checkstyleg.
>
> Regards,
> Linus.
>
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 13:39 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Feature requests can be created here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MCHECKSTYLE
>>
>> You are welcome to create a pull request.
>>
>> Looking at the ant configuration, you could just use the plugin
>> classpath in your java task:
>>
>> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/examples/classpaths.html
>>

>> Am Do., 25. Juni 2020 um 09:16 Uhr schrieb LINUS FERNANDES
>> <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > I would like to create a feature request---evidently.
>> >
>> > This is something that impacts the ant and Gradle tasks as well.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure where to make this request.
>> >
>> > Should it be on the Checkstyle Github repo or will I have to make three
>> > separate requests, one for each of the above?
>> >
>> > The feature is available on the CLI using the -g option.
>> >
>> > I intend to use this during the Maven build, not from my code.
>> >
>> > Since I already had Ant configured to do exactly that, I preferred to
>> use
>> > the Ant Run plugin to reproduce the functionality within Maven.
>> >
>> > The pom file is located at:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/Fernal73/DSAlgos/blob/master/pom.xml
>> >
>> > I have no interest in creating my own plugin given the attendant issues
>> of
>> > maintaining it and for just this feature.
>> >
>> > This should really be part of the Maven, Ant and Gradle configurations.
>> >
>> > Perhaps, it's because the feature is still considered experimental and
>> > there's no pressure from users to add the ability to generate Xpath
>> > suppressions in the other ways to use Checkstyle.
>> >
>> > I find it very useful, though although it's complicated to set it up in
>> its
>> > current Avatar.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Linus.

>> dependency.
>> plugin.

>> at

>> Checkstyle

>> [hidden email]>

>> placed in
>> to a

>> and
>> but is
>> its

>> generate
>> not a

>> project's

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
I think exec maven plugin might need my requirements better of not adding
Checkstyle jars to the project's dependencies. I'll have to test that out,
though.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:33 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've raised a feature request at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-396
>
> Regards,
> Linus.
>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:19 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that resolves the issue with running the goal as
>> antrun:run@checkstyleg.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Linus.
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 13:39 Benjamin Marwell, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Feature requests can be created here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MCHECKSTYLE
>>>
>>> You are welcome to create a pull request.
>>>
>>> Looking at the ant configuration, you could just use the plugin
>>> classpath in your java task:
>>>
>>> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/examples/classpaths.html

>>> use

>>> issues of

>>> in its

>>> dependency.
>>> plugin.

>>> at

>>> Checkstyle

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> placed in
>>> to a

>>> and
>>> but is
>>> of its

>>> generate
>>> dependencies, not a

>>> project's

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
While the exec maven plugin will satisfy the reduced classpath
requirements, I'm constricted by the requirement of the Checkstyle CLI that
requires a list of source files as a parameter to be passed; it doesn't
accept a directory and maven apparently works best with directories.
There appears to be no maven plugin that lists source files and while I can
construct the list of source files via Ant Run plugin, I cannot propagate
the dynamically added property to the exec maven plugin.
Any suggestions?

Or should I revert to the original all Ant version?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 19:51 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think exec maven plugin might need my requirements better of not adding
> Checkstyle jars to the project's dependencies. I'll have to test that out,
> though.
>
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:33 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've raised a feature request at
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-396
>>
>> Regards,
>> Linus.
>>

>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:19 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, that resolves the issue with running the goal as
>>> antrun:run@checkstyleg.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

Hervé BOUTEMY
the Maven Checkstyle Plugin source code is here:
https://github.com/apache/maven-checkstyle-plugin/
with links to CI and issue tracking

IMHO, updating its code should be easier than trying to tweak scripting with
Ant run.
And with the integration tests (in src/its, launched with "mvn -Prun-its
verify"), you could easily check that your new feature has expected results

then provide us a Pull Requests, to get the new feature integrated into the
official plugin, and become a new Maven contributor!

If you're interested, we're having an online "Hack Commit Push" event
tomorrow, where I will be there the whole day (Paris timezone) to help people
wanting to contribute:
see https://paris2020.hack-commit-pu.sh/

Le vendredi 26 juin 2020, 03:21:33 CEST LINUS FERNANDES a écrit :

> While the exec maven plugin will satisfy the reduced classpath
> requirements, I'm constricted by the requirement of the Checkstyle CLI that
> requires a list of source files as a parameter to be passed; it doesn't
> accept a directory and maven apparently works best with directories.
> There appears to be no maven plugin that lists source files and while I can
> construct the list of source files via Ant Run plugin, I cannot propagate
> the dynamically added property to the exec maven plugin.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Or should I revert to the original all Ant version?
>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 19:51 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > I think exec maven plugin might need my requirements better of not adding
> > Checkstyle jars to the project's dependencies. I'll have to test that out,
> > though.
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 14:33 LINUS FERNANDES, <[hidden email]>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> I've raised a feature request at
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-396
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Linus.

Re: Access or generate a classpath for dependency not in any scope but attached to plugin.

LINUS FERNANDES
Thanks, Herve.
I'd share this with the Checkstyle user group on Github.
I don't have the bandwidth for this right now and I'm not being literal!

Regards,
Linus.