Absolute and relative paths in plugins and descriptors

Absolute and relative paths in plugins and descriptors

Mark Struberg-2
Hi lords and ladies!

I try to get my head around the ticket MASSEMBLY-775.
It is related to MASSEMBLY-746 and MASSEMBLY-665.

The problem is basically that a reference to <dest>/somedirectory</dest> is interpreted as absolute path on *nix and as relative path on Win*.

And sometimes we have code of the form

 File destDir = new File(dest);
 if (! destDir.isAbsolute()) {
   destDir = new File(basedir destDir);
 }

And thus we treat e.g. <dest>/src/test/my.txt</dest> as relative to ${project.basedir} on Windows but as an absolute path in OSX and Linux for example. But Maven projects should by default be perfectly portable on different operating systems.

It get's a bit more complicated when also taking mingw and cygwin into consideration.

I wrote a tiny class and tested it on multiple systems.

public class Test {
       java.lang.System.out.println("path: " + new java.io.File(args[0]).getAbsolutePath());
   }
}

Feeding /test as parameter gives the following values:
OSX: /test
Linux: /test
Windows CMD: c:\test
Windows mingw: c:\opt\GIT\test    <- a bit unexpected tbh...
Windows Powershell: c\test

I don't have cygwin at hand. Anyone?

It looks like using / as detector for an absolute file *in addition* to File#isAbsolute() would be the most porbable way to handle it?
At least if we otherwise concat it to our basedir like we did in maven-assembly-plugin.

Wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Absolute and relative paths in plugins and descriptors

Mark Struberg-2
Yes, will go down this route.

Fun side note: that warning was so far mostly applied to the outputDirectory part. But this is just the path INSIDE the zip. So most of the warnings have been pretty much useless ;)

Will continue to work on this. Probably we might also extract the path handling out into maven-shared-utils even. Let's see.

LieGrue,
strub