AW: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

Markus KARG-3
I second that. It is counterintuitive. It would be beneficial if -pl !X would also exclude ist submodules.
-Markus

Re: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le sam. 20 févr. 2021 à 12:43, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> It would indeed be per module, so it's not a 100% backwards compatible
> workaround.
> Then again, as Robert Scholte suggested in the original discussion [1],
> does it make sense to just build an aggregator pom without its children?

Yes it does since it often runs validation tasks and regularly has attached
artifact(s).

> [1]
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6981?focusedCommentId=17192672&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17192672
>
> Op za 20 feb. 2021 om 12:32 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>:
>

> > Le sam. 20 févr. 2021 à 11:14, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]>
> > a écrit :
> >
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> I agree this is unwanted behaviour, we should definitely align
> >> project inclusion and exclusion.
> >> In MNG-6981 [1] I made inclusion recursive. Please find the discussion
> in
> >> the JIRA comments.
> >> In summary, you can get the old behavior back using -f and -N.
> >>

> > Hmm, per module? If not i would still revert for the mentionned reason
> >

> >> I've created MNG-7102 [2] to resolve this and will pick it up directly
> as
> >> have also picked up MNG-6981.
> >> The only thing is that the workaround with -f and -N will not work in
> the
> >> exclusion case.
> >> I don't think it should be needed to be able to only exclude a parent
> pom,
> >> but perhaps I'm missing something.
> >> Next to that, I think we should be careful with adding new flags just to
> >> make sure we are backwards compatible, as it might unnecessarily
> >> complicate
> >> the codebase and user experience if it is not used in the end.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the bug report, Falko!
> >>
> >> Martin
> >>
> >> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6981
> >> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7102
> >>
> >> Op za 20 feb. 2021 om 10:04 schreef Markus KARG <[hidden email]
> >:

> and
> >> do

Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 15:03, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hey Romain,
>
> Your example will work with -N when MNG-7112 [1] is implemented (which we
> are working on as we speak).
> MNG-7112 says: -N together with a project exclusion (via -pl) will make the
> project exclusion non-recursive. So it will not exclude the children.
> Following your example,
>
> > cd images-parent && mvn myplugin:mygoal -pl '!images-parent' *-N*
>
> will work. It will only build the children of images-parent. -N will apply
> to -pl when -pl is present.
>
> That said, -N without -pl will work as it works in 3.6.3: only the pom in
> the current directory will be built (or the pom specified with -f).
>
> I hope this clears it up,

Not really - but my example was maybe not perfect :s - it works only in the
case you enter images folder but typically, as almost mentionned ;) - this
is often used for images + assemblies (2 submodule trees) and it works
today, if I add -N it will not work anymore and I can't do -pl parent -plN
'!parent' so I'm still blocked or do you see a way to make current behavior
working as expected? Or do you mean if I use -pl -xxx I can't use -pl yyy
anymore (both became exclusive which would be another blocker for me).

> Martin
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7112
>
> Op ma 22 mrt. 2021 om 13:26 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just saw the PR was merged but it is actually still a regression, what's
> > the plan to keep this kind of build working:
> >
> > Structure:
> >
> > . root
> >  |- core
> >  |- ...
> >  `- images-parent // can be assemblies too or anything else
> >         |- image1
> >         |- ...
> >         `- imageN
> >
> > > cd images-parent && mvn myplugin:mygoal -pl '!images-parent'
> >
> > This command has the big advantage to launch a command on all children
> but
> > the root pom (where the plugin would fail - note in practise it is a
> > combination of N plugins in general).
> >
> > You mentionned '-N' which does not solve this new bug AFAIK, a profile
> does
> > not as well, a skip property or any additional requirement on mojo are
> > indeed undersired, so what is the plan to get back to something
> functional?
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > <

> > Le dim. 28 févr. 2021 à 11:57, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]

> > écrit :

> fixed.

> find
> > >>

> > > Can be seen this way so choice is between consistency and backward
> > > compatibility, I'm clearly favoring last one which would be way more
> > costly
> > > in the ecosystem than the first one as of today (plus it is not that
> > > inconsistent today since it either works or is forbidden).

> less
> and
> > >>

> > > But we break a lot which is the worse a so much used project  as Maven
> > can
> > > do for a new major.

> > and
> > >>

> > > pl definition is about built module so you enforce consistency changing
> > > the definition which is unfair and really the impact is not blocking
> > since
> > > the fix is not hard but really bothering for *no* new feature on user
> [...]

Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 20:49, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Alright, there indeed are specific problems that cannot be solved with
> -pl. Then again the automatic recursiveness does give benefit that we
> didn't have in 3.6.3.
> Your problem can be solved using profiles, multiple invocations, exact -pl
> module specifications or different directory formats.

Profiles are almost never a solution since they break the build by not
being activated automatically - until we have alias but I fear this would
be a long dicussion for a core feature.
Exact -pl is not maintenable compared to current solution which works fine.
Changing the project structure because we break the CLI would be a shame
IMHO.

> I guess there is no silver bullet, at least we did not find one. We have
> to continue at some point, though. Personally I've heard more people in
> favor of the -N solution than against.

I would have been in this camp if it was not breaking any existing usage
but it does so we just introduced a bug we must fix for next release...does
not sound like something better.

> We can always improve later on, if we have found a better solution.

Works for me while it is before next release (= we don't break any *end
user* without a proper solution compared to the working solution of today
and likely without any breaking change which would be the worst we can do
as a build tool - plugin level is another topic where it can be more
flexible).

Side note: the -plN (or whatever name it gets) was not shocking and solving
all these issues more properly than a global toggle which can't solve the
backward compatibility point by construction.

> Op ma 22 mrt. 2021 om 17:51 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>:
>

>> Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 16:07, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> Err, let's keep using examples to avoid miscommunication :p If I
>>> understand you correctly, you mean this:
>>>
>>> root:
>>> ... images:
>>> ........ image-a
>>> ........ image-b
>>> ... assemblies:
>>> ........ assembly-a
>>> ........ assembly-b
>>>
>>> When running from root, you can use:

>>> This will build image-a, image-b, assembly-a, assembly-b. It skips all
>>> three aggregators.
>>>

>> Add root/foo/{a,b} module in the picture - or more a real case is
>> images/subparent/* and images/{all but subparent} - this is the broken case.
>> basically in other words, it only works for flat cases (one level) but
>> not in all other cases - this is why -N is not a solution to the issue as
>> discussed in this thread.
>>

>>> By the way, -pl !xxx,yyy is still perfectly possible.
>>>
>>> Martin

Re: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

martinkanters
Alright, let's take a look back at your problem situation. I tried to
explain others, but figured out I didn't completely understand it.
Is this what you meant?

root:
... foo:
........ foo-a
........ foo-b
... images:
........ image-a
........ image-b
........ subparent:
............. subimage-a
... assemblies:
........ assembly-a
........ assembly-b

Non-flat cases are not broken in the new setup I believe:
> mvn <goal> -pl !root, !foo, !foo-a, !foo-b, !images, !subparent,
!assemblies -N
This will build image-a, image-b, subimage-a, assembly-a, assembly-b

Is this what you meant? Please let me know exactly what modules you want to
build in this project structure, or improve the project structure.